Local Election Results May 2023

DIscuss current events, no arguments please
ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Re: Local Election Results May 2023

Post by ursaminortaur »

GeoffF100 wrote:The Sky News projection is for a hung Parliament:

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-elections ... s-12873917
So a Labour government reliant on LibDem support which would likely mean a vote on moving to a PR system for future Westminster elections and more rapid movement back towards the EU. Not much not to like there. Despite all the hoopla over Labour's poll lead it would be extraordinary to see Labour turn an 80 seat Conservative majority into their own majority in a single General election. Despite how atrocious the current government is it is much more likely that Labour will end up the largest party in a hung Parliament unless say the SNP vote collapses and they win big in Scotland.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

SimonS wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
This is true. They are the only party promising to introduce a wealth tax which is nothing to do with being 'green', in my opinion.

I voted for them two or three years ago but I think I got away with it.
Certainly Labour are promising a wealth tax, though they are dressing it in other clothes and relying on their voters to misunderstand the meaning oif what they say.
It was a (new) Labour councillor who announced on TV that now that they were in powertheir supporters would no longer have to choose between "feeding the meter or feeding the kids", while of course Starmer announced that he saw the global returns of Shell as being an opportunity to hit them with a 'proper' winfall tax, to make them less globally competitive.

With Panorama showing a stereotyoped landlord cramming six flats into a house( one flat comprised the space that used to be a Kitchen), and charging £1000 a month, the housing benefit rate, why not a 'windfall" tax on landlords? I mean, its impractical but would be popular, what other reason would he need?
Yes cane the landlords is popular, but still falls well short of the Green Party's proposed bald, unmitigated wealth-hating tax of 1% of net worth for households worth over £3.4m. 5% of net worth if your household is worth 5.7m, and 10% if you and your family are worth £18.2m or more. Per annum presumably, although the article doesn't appear to actually say that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63087563

And naturally should they be elected, that £3.4m threshold would rapidly fall to £1m or less so they can stay popular, I'd predict. And the rate climb to 3% or more....

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Post by gryffron »

Mike4 wrote:Yes cane the landlords is popular,

…and will result/is already resulting in reduced landlord renting pushing up private rents.
Mike4 wrote: but still falls well short of the Green Party's proposed bald, unmitigated wealth-hating tax of 1% of net worth for households worth over £3.4m. 5% of net worth if your household is worth 5.7m, and 10% if you and your family are worth £18.2m or more.
…which will result in huge amounts of wealth fleeing the country. With consequential impact upon the economy.

The greens are truly the watermelon party. Green on the outside, red on the inside.

Gryff

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Post by Itsallaguess »

I recently saw a modern-day performance that, given yesterdays local-election results, I think quite accurately describes where we're currently at in the well-worn political cycle, and does more to show the likely coming awakening than any words that I could muster...

https://pictshare.net/rkl66w.mp4/raw

Please note that the above link is probably not safe for work...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

Glad to see that the agree with me.

Dod

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Post by GeoffF100 »

gryffron wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Yes cane the landlords is popular,

…and will result/is already resulting in reduced landlord renting pushing up private rents.
Mike4 wrote: but still falls well short of the Green Party's proposed bald, unmitigated wealth-hating tax of 1% of net worth for households worth over £3.4m. 5% of net worth if your household is worth 5.7m, and 10% if you and your family are worth £18.2m or more.
…which will result in huge amounts of wealth fleeing the country. With consequential impact upon the economy.
They plan capital controls to prevent that:

https://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2021 ... -recovery/

Brexit benefit. Ironically, they opposed Brexit.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Post by JohnB »

The Green Party is a classic local, not national party, good for protest votes and planning. Oddly despite successes elsehwere its collapsed in Brighton, the only place with a Green MP, going from 20 to 7 councillors. Perhaps its war on cars has annoyed too many people. https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/2350470 ... -majority/

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

GeoffF100 wrote:
gryffron wrote: …and will result/is already resulting in reduced landlord renting pushing up private rents.

They plan capital controls to prevent that
Of course they do, just like Corbyn's lot had discussions about exchange controls as well. Just like Labour had back in the 1970s - the last time we had a left-wing government in the UK.

A useful rule of thumb is that if a party has to contemplate exchange controls then its policies are shot.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Post by 1nvest »

ursaminortaur wrote:

So a Labour government reliant on LibDem support which would likely mean a vote on moving to a PR system for future Westminster elections and more rapid movement back towards the EU. Not much not to like there. Despite all the hoopla over Labour's poll lead it would be extraordinary to see Labour turn an 80 seat Conservative majority into their own majority in a single General election. Despite how atrocious the current government is it is much more likely that Labour will end up the largest party in a hung Parliament unless say the SNP vote collapses and they win big in Scotland.
Or maybe, rather than looking towards LD support going with SNP support instead ... promise of yet another independence referendum in return for their support.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/local ... 05?ITO=msn
Polling expert Sir John Curtice has predicted that Labour would not be able to win a majority in the next general election based on the local election results.

He predicted that Labour would win 312 seats if the nation voted the same way it had voted in the local elections, meaning it would be 14 short of an overall majority.
Still doubtful as to those numbers myself however. In many constituencies former Tory voters might redirect their votes to Green's, LD's, others. Dilution, where even if Lab gain no additional votes they win more through the Tories losing votes.

Durham NW for example
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/con ... /E14000856

1000 prior Con votes going to LD instead and Lab even if they just maintain the same vote counts as 2019 win the seat.

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

Lootman wrote:Of course they do, just like Corbyn's lot had discussions about exchange controls as well.
My prediction for the outcome of the next election? : "I dunno..."
My prediction for the next 5 years (at least?) posts by Lootman? : "Corbyn...", "Corbyn...", "Corbyn...", etc.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:Of course they do, just like Corbyn's lot had discussions about exchange controls as well.
My prediction for the outcome of the next election? : "I dunno..."
My prediction for the next 5 years (at least?) posts by Lootman? : "Corbyn...", "Corbyn...", "Corbyn...", etc.
I am sorry if that topic is uncomfortable for you for whatever mysterious reason. But since the topic of capital controls was raised, and since Corbyn and McDonnell admitted that they had considered they might be needed had Labour won in 2017 or 2019, it is relevant.

Do you have an opinion on the validity of capital controls?

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

Lootman wrote:
XFool wrote:My prediction for the outcome of the next election? : "I dunno..."
I am sorry if that topic is uncomfortable for you for whatever mysterious reason. But since the topic of capital controls was raised, and since Corbyn and McDonnell admitted that they had considered they might be needed had Labour won in 2017 or 2019, it is relevant.

I have an opinion on the current year: It is 2023, not "2017 or 2019"

Jeremy Corbyn is not currently the Leader of the Labour Party, Leader of the Opposition or indeed even has the Labour whip in Parliament.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Corbyn

But don't let that stop you. I'm sure it won't. :)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote:I am sorry if that topic is uncomfortable for you for whatever mysterious reason. But since the topic of capital controls was raised, and since Corbyn and McDonnell admitted that they had considered they might be needed had Labour won in 2017 or 2019, it is relevant.

I have an opinion on the current year: It is 2023, not "2017 or 2019"

Jeremy Corbyn is not currently the Leader of the Labour Party, Leader of the Opposition or indeed even has the Labour whip in Parliament.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Corbyn

But don't let that stop you. I'm sure it won't. :)
So, no opinion or information about the topic of capital controls? Just an attempted snide personal attack on another Lemon. Got it.

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

...Just another observation that some people have difficulty with reality?

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Post by tjh290633 »

Moderator Message:
All right, you two. Enough of this continual bickering. Kiss and make up.

TJH

Return to “Current Affairs & News”