Oxford-AZN vaccine and alcohol !

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Oxford-AZN vaccine and alcohol !

Post by AleisterCrowley »

As far as I know there is no formal recommendation to avoid alcohol before or after receiving the jab, but I have seen various organisations (who may not be entirely unbiased) recommend a couple of dry weeks to give the vaccine the best chance
Is there any reliable evidence showing the effects of alcohol on this or similar vaccinations?

I was teetotal for five days before my jab, and currently six days post-jab: I'm now wondering if I can attack my beer and wine stockpile this weekend...

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Oxford-AZN vaccine and alcohol !

Post by Mike4 »

AleisterCrowley wrote: I was teetotal for five days before my jab, and currently six days post-jab:
<deeply impressed>

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

It's not been easy :-)

For the avoidance of doubt I'm talking about reducing the efficacy of the jab , rather than any additional side effects

On that subject, I'm still not completely over the jab. I only felt (mildly) 'ill' for about 12 hours (starting 12 hours from jab) but I've been very tired since. Getting better slowly. Call with lawyers (corporate) today didn't help though :-(

dealtn
Lemon Half

Post by dealtn »

AleisterCrowley wrote:It's not been easy :-)

For the avoidance of doubt I'm talking about reducing the efficacy of the jab , rather than any additional side effects

On that subject, I'm still not completely over the jab. I only felt (mildly) 'ill' for about 12 hours (starting 12 hours from jab) but I've been very tired since. Getting better slowly. Call with lawyers (corporate) today didn't help though :-(
The tiredness could be the alcohol withdrawal though, and nothing to do with the vaccine. Your "side effects" could be the side effects of your body not getting its usual "drug".

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Post by stevensfo »

dealtn wrote:

The tiredness could be the alcohol withdrawal though, and nothing to do with the vaccine. Your "side effects" could be the side effects of your body not getting its usual "drug".
I agree that the alcohol is unlikely to affect the immune response, but it can certainly affect you in other ways. When I stop drinking, I notice that my sleeping pattern changes a lot. The sleep feels better quality, but without the numbing effect of alcohol, my brain is more active and I wake up more often during the night and much earlier in the morning. Alcohol has a dehydrating effect and if you suddenly stop, the body needs time to adapt to the different water levels required to keep you working properly. So probably quite exhausting for a while.
You can try avoiding coffee after 2pm and maybe go to sleep earlier. I usually have a decaf in the evening, with sometimes a small bit of whisky in it, purely for medicinal purposes.
Steve

PS the exact meaning of 'a small bit' is not yet defined. ;)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

dealtn wrote:

The tiredness noticeably 'came on' immediately after the short side effect peak so assume it's not detox issues! I have given up drink for weeks at a time before ,to lose weight, and no similar effects (although I didn't feel much better for not drinking)

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”