Endings

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
dspp
Lemon Half

Endings

Post by dspp »

with thanks to JohnKempReuters

How epidemics end
Erica Charters Kristin Heitman
Abstract
As COVID‐19 drags on and new vaccines promise widespread immunity, the world's attention has turned to predicting how the present pandemic will end. How do societies know when an epidemic is over and normal life can resume? What criteria and markers indicate such an end? Who has the insight, authority, and credibility to decipher these signs? Detailed research on past epidemics has demonstrated that they do not end suddenly; indeed, only rarely do the diseases in question actually end. This article examines the ways in which scholars have identified and described the end stages of previous epidemics, pointing out that significantly less attention has been paid to these periods than to origins and climaxes.

etc

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/ful ... 0498.12370

- dspp

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Re: Endings

Post by 88V8 »

I think it fair to say that it has pretty much ended here.
The airtime give to The Two Whiners, and now wimmins issues, would simply not have happened during the pandemic.
As the author comments 'the “end,” therefore, is as much a process of social and political negotiation as it is biomedical.'
For me it will be definitively ended in a mundane way, when neither I nor others trouble with wearing a mask.

Also of interest is the aftermath. To what extent this and subsequent govts will make preparations for the next pandemic:
Medical facilities and staffing.
Onshoring of supply chains.
The underlying physical health of the nation.

Their cloth-eared NHS pay offer, given the pre-covid staffing shortages, does not augur well.

I would guess..... that we will see some sort of Royal Commission and then a punt into the long grass.
Hope to be wrong.

V8

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”