Virus: 40, Vaccine: buggerall

The home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Forum rules
This is the home for all non-political Coronavirus (Covid-19) discussions on The Lemon Fool
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Re: Virus: 40, Vaccine: buggerall

Post by Bouleversee »

On a rather different note but equally important, an item in today's Times says that "Austria has suspended the use of a batch of the Oxford-AZN vaccine after a dangerous blood-clotting condition was diagnosed in four patients after they got the jab. One person died of multiple thrombosis ten days after their injection. The European Medicines Agency said there were one million doses in the batch labelled ABV5300 and they had been delivered to l7 EU countries. "

How can I find out whether this is an isolated batch or common to all? I need to know because my late husband had a thrombolytic factor which my children have apparently inherited. Though of no consequence so far, it is perhaps something which should be mentioned prior to vaccination.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Post by redsturgeon »

Bouleversee wrote:On a rather different note but equally important, an item in today's Times says that "Austria has suspended the use of a batch of the Oxford-AZN vaccine after a dangerous blood-clotting condition was diagnosed in four patients after they got the jab. One person died of multiple thrombosis ten days after their injection. The European Medicines Agency said there were one million doses in the batch labelled ABV5300 and they had been delivered to l7 EU countries. "

How can I find out whether this is an isolated batch or common to all? I need to know because my late husband had a thrombolytic factor which my children have apparently inherited. Though of no consequence so far, it is perhaps something which should be mentioned prior to vaccination.
https://twitter.com/CNBCJulianna/status ... 70/photo/1

EMA/PRAC statement

John

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Post by Bouleversee »

Many thanks, John. Wlll pass the link on to sprogs and tell them to keep an eye out. Hopefully, it won't amount to anything.

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

Bouleversee wrote:How can I find out whether this is an isolated batch or common to all? I need to know because my late husband had a thrombolytic factor which my children have apparently inherited. Though of no consequence so far, it is perhaps something which should be mentioned prior to vaccination.
Prior to my AstraZeneca vaccination I was asked if I "Was taking blood thinners".

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

XFool wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:How can I find out whether this is an isolated batch or common to all? I need to know because my late husband had a thrombolytic factor which my children have apparently inherited. Though of no consequence so far, it is perhaps something which should be mentioned prior to vaccination.
Prior to my AstraZeneca vaccination I was asked if I "Was taking blood thinners".
Same here.

Mind you, I was also asked if I was pregnant.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Post by staffordian »

XFool wrote:
Might that be simply to judge if you are likey to bleed out from the needle puncture wound?

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Post by Bouleversee »

They are not taking blood thinners and I don't think their blood is ever tested . Perhaps it should be.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

staffordian wrote:
XFool wrote: Prior to my AstraZeneca vaccination I was asked if I "Was taking blood thinners".
Might that be simply to judge if you are likey to bleed out from the needle puncture wound?
Yes (at least for the pfizer I had).

They asked me, I said yes. That got me a plaster over the pinprick afterwards ('cos something like that doesn't bleed seriously, but enough to stain ones clothes and be annoying).

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Post by Watis »

Mike4 wrote:
XFool wrote: Prior to my AstraZeneca vaccination I was asked if I "Was taking blood thinners".
Same here.

Mind you, I was also asked if I was pregnant.
I wasn't asked if I was pregnant. To this day, I don't know whether the doctor didn't ask on the basis of my age or my sex.

Watis

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Slice

Post by Bubblesofearth »

Watis wrote:
I wasn't asked if I was pregnant. To this day, I don't know whether the doctor didn't ask on the basis of my age or my sex.

Watis
They should have asked you. To not do so on the basis of age or sex is discriminatory.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

Bubblesofearth wrote:
Watis wrote:

Watis
They should have asked you. To not do so on the basis of age or sex is discriminatory.
Was in supermarket the other day when I got a reminder of my age. Moved away from checkout to be out of the way of next customer while sorting my bag, heard the checkout girl ask the man behind me for ID. He looked about 30 to me, but I guess supermarket workers have to err on the side of caution! Anyway, a wistful reminder that I never get asked that question.

Nor did they ask if I was pregnant. Felt like Loretta being told she was Stan!

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

UncleEbenezer wrote:Was in supermarket the other day when I got a reminder of my age. Moved away from checkout to be out of the way of next customer while sorting my bag, heard the checkout girl ask the man behind me for ID.
It came to me when a girl (woman?!) on the tube stood up and asked me if I wanted her seat. :(

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Post by jfgw »

I was asked for ID once when I was 40. The lad serving me looked only just old enough to sell alcohol and there was an older member of staff standing by him. I reckon either he was being trained, or he was being retrained after selling to someone underage.

Julian F. G. W.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

jfgw wrote:I was asked for ID once when I was 40. The lad serving me looked only just old enough to sell alcohol and there was an older member of staff standing by him. I reckon either he was being trained, or he was being retrained after selling to someone underage.

Julian F. G. W.
Similar happened to Mrs M4 in the Purple Turtle in Reading as she was buying a round. Bar person asked hesitantly, "are you over 18?"

She beamed radiantly and answered "YES it's my 50th birthday, and thank you SO MUCH for asking!"

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

Mike4 wrote:
jfgw wrote:I was asked for ID once when I was 40. The lad serving me looked only just old enough to sell alcohol and there was an older member of staff standing by him. I reckon either he was being trained, or he was being retrained after selling to someone underage.

Julian F. G. W.
Similar happened to Mrs M4 in the Purple Turtle in Reading as she was buying a round. Bar person asked hesitantly, "are you over 18?"

She beamed radiantly and answered "YES it's my 50th birthday, and thank you SO MUCH for asking!"
How's her hearing? sure it was eightEEN? ;)

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Post by stevensfo »

88V8 wrote:I used to be involved in the shipping of PCR reagents using dry ice. Maintaining the necessary cold chain was a nightmare, and led to a number of (expensive) shipments being lost.
Anything that had to go through Customs was a particular worry.

Glad I had the Oxford as my first jab.

V8
I am still involved in that sort of thing. The trick is not so much the temperature as how fast the temperature changes. We've had DNA shipped from Australia to Europe with no ice and no problems. Likewise, if a freezer breaks down or a reagent is delivered thawed rather than frozen, 99% of the time, it works.

But the Pfizer vaccine is RNA which is bloody fragile! However, those freezers are not so expensive and it just requires a bit of professional behaviour to organise the thawing and injections.

Steve

PS Yes, we still have those problems with Customs! Usually caused by the Customs boss probably nursing a hangover and the other guy in charge having his head wedged firmly up his *****! 8-)

Steve

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

UncleEbenezer wrote:Huge spike of covid in rural East Devon turns out to be a big outbreak in a care home, where inmates and staff had all had their first jab some time ago and were due their second jab about now. Devon Live reports[1] 33 cases, but since then it seems[2] to have risen to nearly all the care home's reported 42 residents. One has died, we don't know if others may follow.
Case numbers on the map now at 46 (+44 on the week). Both residents and staff vaccinated, and they still all go down with it!

Meanwhile the rest of Devon leads the country in bringing infection rates down, with a big area coast-to-coast taking four of the five lowest infection rates in Blighty at LTLA level.

Return to “Coronavirus Discussions”