is DAK being made redundant by ChatGPT?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Fluke
Lemon Slice

Post by Fluke »

I was just about to post this question when it occurred to me to ask chatGPT which I've been itching to find a use for:

Does anyone know if coconut oil (or creams containing coconut oil) rubbed onto and then absorbed into the skin, has the same nutritional value as if you had eaten the same amount? Or to put it another way, does the saturated fat contained in coconut oil rubbed into the skin, end up in your cells the same as if you'd eaten it?

Here's the reply I got, sounds pretty plausible to me:
No, the nutritional value of coconut oil applied to the skin is not the same as if you had eaten it. When coconut oil is applied topically to the skin, it may have some moisturizing and soothing effects, but it is unlikely to have the same impact on your health as when you consume it orally.

The primary reason for this is that the absorption of nutrients through the skin is limited compared to the absorption that occurs when you eat food. When you eat coconut oil, it is broken down by your digestive system and absorbed into your bloodstream, which allows the nutrients to be transported to your cells and tissues throughout your body. However, when you apply coconut oil topically to your skin, it is not broken down in the same way and is not absorbed into your bloodstream in significant amounts.

Additionally, the effects of saturated fat on your health depend on a variety of factors, such as the type of saturated fat, the amount consumed, and other dietary and lifestyle factors. While some studies suggest that consuming coconut oil in moderation may have health benefits, the evidence is mixed, and it is not clear whether the same benefits would be seen from topical application of coconut oil.

In summary, while coconut oil applied topically may have some benefits for the skin, it is not likely to have the same nutritional value or impact on your health as consuming it orally.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Re: is DAK being made redundant by ChatGPT?

Post by Stompa »

I've not tried ChatGPT, but I did have a go with Bard:

https://bard.google.com/

They do say it may be inaccurate and that did seem to be the case. The conversation went something like:

Me: How many times does the word 'the' occur in the novel 'Pride and Prejudice'?

Bard: The word 'the' occurs 1234 times.

Me: Are you sure?

Bard: Sorry, I made an error. The word 'the' occurs 1476 times.

At least it owned up! I guess I should have then gone for 'Are you absolutely certain?'

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Post by MrFoolish »

"is DAK being made redundant by ChatGPT?" - you could try asking it (ChatGPT).

Alaric
Lemon Half

Post by Alaric »

ChatGPT seems to make it up as it goes along on factual matters.

From the Guardian chess column
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/ ... dusseldorf
ChatGPT, which is currently in vogue as an information source, failed badly when it was asked to describe meetings between Karpov and the recently deceased English master Michael Basman. In fact, the pair never played, but ChatGPT replied with the moves of an alleged game at Luton 1974 where, at the end, “Karpov” allows an elementary mate in one.

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

...Perhaps ChatGPT gets its 'facts' from the Internet? ;)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Post by mc2fool »

Of course not, 'cos ChatGPT doesn't have the life experience and wisdom of The Lemon Fool collective. :D

More to the point, you should not trust ChatGPT with anything. If you do decide to ask it for information, double check it with other sources. A good trick I've found is to ask it for links to the sources it got its information from and then go follow them up. A good part of the time the links don't exist or don't actually say what ChatGPT has presented from them.

If you haven't already you could read the ChatGPT thread on the Science board . But it is a long thread so if you want to see how ChatGPT "hallucinates" facts (that term has become standard to describe its behaviour, this article explains the phenomenon) take a look at this post where it tries to convince me that the Peregrine Falcon is a mammal, and then at this post and this post where it hallucinates a (very plausible sounding) scientific paper to support its claim.

Or you could just read what the CEO of OpenAI, Sam Altman, says:

"ChatGPT is incredibly limited, but good enough at some things to create a misleading impression of greatness. it's a mistake to be relying on it for anything important right now." ... "fun creative inspiration; great! reliance for factual queries; not such a good idea." ... "it does know a lot, but the danger is that it is confident and wrong a significant fraction of the time"

https://twitter.com/sama/status/1601731 ... rB1HURSJkg

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Post by 88V8 »

mc2fool wrote:"ChatGPT is incredibly limited, but good enough at some things to create a misleading impression of greatness. it's a mistake to be relying on it for anything important right now." ... "fun creative inspiration; great! reliance for factual queries; not such a good idea." ... "it does know a lot, but the danger is that it is confident and wrong a significant fraction of the time"
It sounds rather like Boris :)

V8

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Post by mc2fool »

Stompa wrote:I've not tried ChatGPT, but I did have a go with Bard:

They do say it may be inaccurate and that did seem to be the case. The conversation went something like:

Me: How many times does the word 'the' occur in the novel 'Pride and Prejudice'?

At least it owned up! I guess I should have then gone for 'Are you absolutely certain?'
And with ChatGPT it went:

ChatGPT: The word 'the' occurs 4,482 times in the novel 'Pride and Prejudice' by Jane Austen.

ChatGPT: I apologize for the mistake in my previous response. As an AI language model, I do not have the capability to access specific information such as the number of times a word occurs in a specific book. I do not have access to the full text of 'Pride and Prejudice' or any other specific book. I can, however, assist with general questions and provide information based on my knowledge base. Please let me know if you have any other questions I may be able to assist with.

:lol:

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

mc2fool wrote:
Stompa wrote:I've not tried ChatGPT, but I did have a go with Bard:

And with ChatGPT it went:

ChatGPT: The word 'the' occurs 4,482 times in the novel 'Pride and Prejudice' by Jane Austen.

ChatGPT: I apologize for the mistake in my previous response . .
At least it was polite and admitted when it was wrong. That already puts it ahead of some members of this community. :D

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

Lootman wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Me: Are you sure?
ChatGPT: I apologize for the mistake in my previous response . .
At least it was polite and admitted when it was wrong. That already puts it ahead of some members of this community. :D
Yeah...

:lol:

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Post by DrFfybes »

Fluke wrote:I was just about to post this question when it occurred to me to ask chatGPT which I've been itching to find a use for:

Does anyone know if coconut oil (or creams containing coconut oil) rubbed onto and then absorbed into the skin, has the same nutritional value as if you had eaten the same amount? Or to put it another way, does the saturated fat contained in coconut oil rubbed into the skin, end up in your cells the same as if you'd eaten it?
No, wiping food on your skin gives you nutrition in the same way sitting in a bath quenches your thirst.

Artificial intelligence - no substitute for common sense.

:)

Paul

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Post by Fluke »

DrFfybes wrote:
Fluke wrote:I was just about to post this question when it occurred to me to ask chatGPT which I've been itching to find a use for:

No, wiping food on your skin gives you nutrition in the same way sitting in a bath quenches your thirst.

Artificial intelligence - no substitute for common sense.

:)

Paul

Maybe not but the Epsom salts that you put into your bath water dissolves and the magnesium is absorbed through the skin and increases the body's magnesium levels. Or at least that's what is says on the back of my Epsom salt packet. So was wondering how it works for other things that we put on our skin.

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

Fluke wrote:Maybe not but the Epsom salts that you put into your bath water dissolves and the magnesium is absorbed through the skin and increases the body's magnesium levels. Or at least that's what is says on the back of my Epsom salt packet. So was wondering how it works for other things that we put on our skin.
Novichok?

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Post by Fluke »

XFool wrote:
Fluke wrote:Maybe not but the Epsom salts that you put into your bath water dissolves and the magnesium is absorbed through the skin and increases the body's magnesium levels. Or at least that's what is says on the back of my Epsom salt packet. So was wondering how it works for other things that we put on our skin.
Novichok?
Exactly :D

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Post by chas49 »

Moderator Message:
I suggest that the discussion of what is or isn't absorbed through the skin is off-topic for a DAK post which asked "is DAK being made redundant by ChatGPT?" (chas49)

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

Alaric wrote:ChatGPT seems to make it up as it goes along on factual matters.
Well, that's one more step on the path to human behaviour.

No, DAK is not redundant. Choice is good; DAK has always been one choice among many (e.g. regular google) for its kind of questions. If chatbots offer one more option, all the better!

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Post by csearle »

Lootman wrote:At least it was polite and admitted when it was wrong. That already puts it ahead of some members of this community. :D
I had a go too. I had just listened to a short series of podcasts about the 100 years war (very entertaining by the way) and signed up for ChatGBT and asked her(?) what the 100 years war was all about then.

She gave a run down of the war but at some point said that Flanders was withholding the export of wool to England for tactical reasons (it was the other way around as we, famously, have the sheep and they, famously, were into knitting/weaving/or-whatever.

I asked her(?) if she was absolutely sure about that, at which point she also apologised and focussed in to this aspect of the war getting it right (well as far as I knew anyway).

But to the OP's question: no.

C.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Post by Julian »

The one real life experience I can recount, albeit second hand, is someone I know who is a freelance journalist, mostly interest articles or very niche news items for magazines and trade papers rather than national news. A month or two ago he said that he had just had his first interaction with a client commissioning him to write an article for them where the conversation started "we asked ChatGPT to write this article for us but the result wasn't good so we want you to do it".

Does that bode well for my friend (ChatGPT is considered poor competition) or is it worrying (ChatGPT is now at least being considered as a potential competitor in his marketspace by at least one of his clients)? Time will tell I suppose.

We live in interesting times.

- Julian

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Post by csearle »

Julian wrote:The one real life experience I can recount, albeit second hand, is someone I know who is a freelance journalist, mostly interest articles or very niche news items for magazines and trade papers rather than national news. A month or two ago he said that he had just had his first interaction with a client commissioning him to write an article for them where the conversation started "we asked ChatGPT to write this article for us but the result wasn't good so we want you to do it".

Does that bode well for my friend (ChatGPT is considered poor competition) or is it worrying (ChatGPT is now at least being considered as a potential competitor in his marketspace by at least one of his clients)? Time will tell I suppose.

We live in interesting times.

- Julian
I asked ChatGPT to respond to you...
ChatGPT wrote:Dear Julian,

Thank you for sharing your friend's experience regarding ChatGPT and its impact on his profession as a freelance journalist. While ChatGPT has certainly advanced in terms of its language capabilities, it is important to note that it is still a machine and not a human being. While it can generate text, it lacks the creativity, empathy, and contextual understanding that a human writer possesses.

It is promising to hear that your friend was chosen over ChatGPT by a client who recognized the limitations of the machine-generated content. This suggests that there is still a demand for human expertise in writing and journalism, particularly for specialized or niche content.

However, it is also worth acknowledging that ChatGPT's capabilities may continue to improve and evolve over time, potentially leading to increased competition for human writers. But it is important to remember that while technology can be a useful tool, it cannot replace the value of real-life experience and human creativity.

Overall, it is indeed an interesting time for the intersection of technology and writing, and it will be fascinating to see how this relationship evolves in the future.

Best regards,
ChatGPT
Chris :)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Post by redsturgeon »

For me one of the most useful aspects of a DAK response is that it can share an actual experience of the responder in a way that can be of use to the OP.

Google has long been there as an alternative to DAK and AI like ChatGPT will add to that but not totally take away the usefulness of DAK.

John

Return to “Does anyone know?”