Marathon tomorrow!

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
Darka
Lemon Slice

Marathon tomorrow!

Post by Darka »

Having not run properly for some time due to burn out, I'm ready to start training properly again and have my first race in 3 years coming up tomorrow.

I haven't trained for it, so have no expectations over time/pace apart from an enjoyable day out in the country running 27.2 miles off road with lots of hills thrown in for fun.

Will start training more regularly after this race, as I'd like to enter some ultra marathons next year and need to just finish this one as a qualifier.

I don't normally get excited over races, but this time I really can't wait, it's been a long time!

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Marathon tomorrow!

Post by ReformedCharacter »

Darka wrote:I haven't trained for it, so have no expectations over time/pace apart from an enjoyable day out in the country running 27.2 miles off road with lots of hills thrown in for fun.
Gosh, I couldn't run a marathon in my 20s without training, I hope you have a good time!

RC

Darka
Lemon Slice

Post by Darka »

ReformedCharacter wrote: Gosh, I couldn't run a marathon in my 20s without training, I hope you have a good time!

RC
Thanks, me too!

Relying on muscle memory, hopefully :D

I've run this one 6 times in the past, so at least I know the course and what to expect which isn't always a good thing when there are so many hills.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Post by redsturgeon »

I hope you didn't get lost!

John

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

Darka wrote:running 27.2 miles off road with lots of hills thrown in for fun.
I see you're doing an extra mile ;)
Seriously though - good luck

Darka
Lemon Slice

Post by Darka »

In the end I should have done it :)
Instead I decided to do 17 miles on the course I'll be running in a 50 mile race next year.

When running down a flint path I tripped then slid down the sharp flint, now my arm and shoulder looks like I've been attacked by a grizzly bear with some huge claw like slashes :lol:

Anyway, I carried on running for a mile or so, but there was so much blood it freaked out a few people (none asked if I was ok) so had to clean it at a cafe and aborted the run at 7.5 miles...

The 50 is a qualifier for my second attempt at a 100 miler, so I need that one too.

Lesson to self, stick to the original plan!

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Post by redsturgeon »

Jeez you make Bear Grylls look like a wimp!

Darka
Lemon Slice

Post by Darka »

redsturgeon wrote:Jeez you make Bear Grylls look like a wimp!
To be honest I over raced for a few years and completely burnt out, but recently got the urge again and want to focus on longer races for a while, just enjoy being out in nature for many hours at a time.

Now that I'm retired, more time for recovery and starting to enjoy running again.

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”