Surely not?

Mind that apostrophe.
NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Surely not?

Post by NomoneyNohoney »

From today's Daily Mirror:-
"But tragically her foot was later discovered by a member of the public walking around Llanddwyn Island on the west coast of Anglesey."

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Re: Surely not?

Post by NomoneyNohoney »

NomoneyNohoney wrote:From today's Daily Mirror:-
"But tragically her foot was later discovered by a member of the public walking around Llanddwyn Island on the west coast of Anglesey."
But I was wrong: "Still, the myth persists that and and but should be used only to join elements within a sentence, not to link one sentence to another." ;)

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

Oh dear.

Exercise for the reader: re-punctuate to tell a story of the foot walking around the island.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Post by kiloran »

And anyway, can you have an island on the coast? I would think an island would be off the coast.

--kiloran

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

kiloran wrote:And anyway, can you have an island on the coast?
You can if it's not an island.

Scott.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

kiloran wrote:And anyway, can you have an island on the coast? I would think an island would be off the coast.

--kiloran
How then do you count a tidal island, such as Holy Island (Lindisfarne)?

Off the top of my head, islands on the coast are often associated with archipelagos where inland water meets coastline, and can make for very attractive/scenic locations. As seen in Stockholm, Venice, or Amsterdam. I think you could reasonably count an island as being on rather than off the coast if it has both fresh and salt water on its own shore.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Post by quelquod »

The term 'island' is always troublesome to define simply. Is the North of Scotland an island severed from the mainland by the Caledonian Canal, or the even larger mass severed by the Forth-Clyde Canal? We even speak of Britain as an island sometimes - our island kingdom.

Return to “Pedants' Place”