The Long Road To ISA Millionaires

Mind that apostrophe.
ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

The Long Road To ISA Millionaires

Post by ReformedCharacter »

The board title is just wrong. 'The Road to Zanzibar' is fine and so is 'The Road to Wigan Pier'. 'The Long Road to Become an ISA Millionaire' would be better.

RC

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: The Long Road To ISA Millionaires

Post by swill453 »

ReformedCharacter wrote:The board title is just wrong. 'The Road to Zanzibar' is fine and so is 'The Road to Wigan Pier'. 'The Long Road to Become an ISA Millionaire' would be better.
It's not a board title, it's merely the subject of a topic that someone has posted.

They're frequently illiterate.

Scott.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Post by quelquod »

'a topic which ...' sounds better.

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

quelquod wrote:'a topic which ...' sounds better.
To whom?

Scott.

will89
2 Lemon pips

Post by will89 »

ReformedCharacter wrote:The board title is just wrong. 'The Road to Zanzibar' is fine and so is 'The Road to Wigan Pier'. 'The Long Road to Become an ISA Millionaire' would be better.
I'm actually the poster of the thread in question and am a tad peeved!! ;)

As mentioned above, it was a thread not a board name.

To break down the phrase, we would be 'ISA Millionaires' because there are two of us, my wife and I. Your suggestion therefore doesn't apply.

I don't see an issue with the title in general. 'ISA Millionaires' is a status, so can be worked to the same way 'happiness', 'wealth' or 'freedom' could be, without the requirement for a verb. Similar examples of this convention are not rare, the most obvious being the title of Mandela's autobiography 'Long Walk To Freedom'. This example clearly contains the verb 'walk', but would not break with convention if it were instead 'Long Path To Freedom' or 'Long Road To Freedom'. As an aside, 'Long Road To Ruin' is apparently a Foo Fighters song...

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Post by ReformedCharacter »

will89 wrote:
I'm actually the poster of the thread in question and am a tad peeved!! ;)

I don't see an issue with the title in general. 'ISA Millionaires' is a status
'ISA Millionaires' is a status'

No it isn't, it's the plural of 'ISA Millionaire'. Peeved or not, what you wrote is grammatically wrong whether in the singular or plural.

RC

Return to “Pedants' Place”