Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Zoo Quest in Colour

Post by Slarti »

Did anybody else see this?

A fascinating bit of history and natural history from the early 1950s
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03qxfsg

Zoo Quest was one of my favourite programmes as a kid and to see it in colour was quite a revelation.

Slarti

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Zoo Quest in Colour

Post by bungeejumper »

Yes, I saw it and it was absolutely brilliant - I'll catch up with it again, I think. Thanks for the link. I know it's a bit of a cliché to call David Attenborough a national treasure, but there can be few broadcasters who've ever had such a strong claim.

I don't know how it happened that it was filmed in colour (film, I think) when TV was only available in black and white. Maybe they figured that colour was a sufficiently important consideration for species identification to be worth the considerable extra cost?

Hard to think that Zoo Quest began in 1954, isn't it?

BJ

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Zoo Quest in Colour

Post by Slarti »

bungeejumper wrote:I don't know how it happened that it was filmed in colour (film, I think) when TV was only available in black and white.
Something to do with them using portable 16mm cameras and the colour stock being a better option. Though they did have some B&W for work when the light was too low for colour.

I think it does deserve another viewing and so I haven't deleted it from my Sky box.

Slarti

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”