Carol

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Carol

Post by Clitheroekid »

I was in two minds whether or not to watch `Carol' which was on C4 last night. Having read the summary I really couldn't see that it would be able to hold my attention for 2 hours and 20 minutes. However, in the end I decided to give it a go.

It was brilliant. Certainly not to everyone's taste, and I suspect people who like action films would have abandoned it after half an hour. But I felt almost hypnotised by it. It was set in New York of 1952 and the cinematography and the way it conjured up that era was superb.

Many of the scenes were very reminiscent of one of my favourite artists, Edward Hopper, who was, of course, painting in and around New York at that time.

The two leading characters, Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara, were perfectly matched, the latter also reminding me of a young Audrey Hepburn - https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... edf47b.jpg.

The 2 hours and 20 minutes flashed past, and I was left wanting more.

Highly recommended.

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Re: Carol

Post by 77ss »

Clitheroekid wrote:I was in two minds whether or not to watch `Carol' which was on C4 last night. Having read the summary I really couldn't see that it would be able to hold my attention for 2 hours and 20 minutes. However, in the end I decided to give it a go.

It was brilliant. Certainly not to everyone's taste, and I suspect people who like action films would have abandoned it after half an hour. But I felt almost hypnotised by it. It was set in New York of 1952 and the cinematography and the way it conjured up that era was superb.

Many of the scenes were very reminiscent of one of my favourite artists, Edward Hopper, who was, of course, painting in and around New York at that time.

The two leading characters, Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara, were perfectly matched, the latter also reminding me of a young Audrey Hepburn - https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... edf47b.jpg.

The 2 hours and 20 minutes flashed past, and I was left wanting more.

Highly recommended.
A belated response - I guess I don't check this board out often enough.

I couldn't agree more. Saw it last year on the big screen, and found it mesmeric! Outstanding performances and cinematography.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”