Ghost in the Shell

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
todthedog
Lemon Slice

Ghost in the Shell

Post by todthedog »

Set in a dystopian future city, most people are now a modified mixture of human and machine. replacement parts and brain enhancements. Enter the latest creation Major (Scarlett Johansson) a cyborg into which has been transplanted a human brain and consciousness 'the ghost'. She is immediately perceived by her creators as the perfect anti terrorist weapon reflexes of the machine and inventiveness of the human. The first third of the film is full of action sequences in what appears a violent and relentless, squalid city its landscape dominated by huge weird holographic figures presumably adverts. There seems to be an unwritten subtext that this is our future not if, but when. Then the film changes and becomes darker, Major starts to question her existence by discovering that she has been lied to all of her life, who to trust, who is she?. Much more than a simple action movie it questions our future posing more questions than answers.
I saw this in 3D which was really good, not over done, and the city came alive and from an aging male point of view SJ in 3D whats not to like!! :D

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Ghost in the Shell

Post by Slarti »

How does it compare to the 1995 cartoon film?

That was somewhat mind blowing.

Slarti

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Post by todthedog »

Never saw the original Slarti sounds good.
I have just read about a Japanese anime where Major exists fighting crime only in cyberspace! Occasionally visiting her cyborg body :shock:

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Post by Slarti »

todthedog wrote:Never saw the original Slarti sounds good.
I have just read about a Japanese anime where Major exists fighting crime only in cyberspace! Occasionally visiting her cyborg body :shock:
Shades of Gibson's Neuromancer?

Slarti

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Post by todthedog »

I love it when you start in one place and move to another. I have never read it but will now have o look on Amazon. Thanks for that.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Post by Slarti »

todthedog wrote:I love it when you start in one place and move to another. I have never read it but will now have o look on Amazon. Thanks for that.
Another good book with people living in Cyberspace is Ian M Banks' Feersum Endjinn, which is also quite strange.

Slarti

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”