The girl on the train

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
zico
Lemon Quarter

The girl on the train

Post by zico »

9/10. Suspense thriller with Emily Blunt (who is terrific in this).

Saw this on a plane recently and thought it was great. There isn't really any way to review it or even to say why I liked it without some element of plot spoiler, so I won't, but just recommend you see it for yourself. A word of caution, film critics are lukewarm about it, though I think it may depend on how quickly or otherwise you realise what's actually happening in the plot.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: The girl on the train

Post by redsturgeon »

zico wrote:9/10. Suspense thriller with Emily Blunt (who is terrific in this).

Saw this on a plane recently and thought it was great. There isn't really any way to review it or even to say why I liked it without some element of plot spoiler, so I won't, but just recommend you see it for yourself. A word of caution, film critics are lukewarm about it, though I think it may depend on how quickly or otherwise you realise what's actually happening in the plot.
Have you read the book?

JOHN

zico
Lemon Quarter

Post by zico »

No, haven't read the book, so it was all new to me.

LadyGagarin
2 Lemon pips

Post by LadyGagarin »

I have read the book and admire Emily Blunt but haven't seen the film yet. TBH I was a little put off by the casting director so blatantly going against the description of Rachel in the novel.

zico
Lemon Quarter

Post by zico »

I don't think the film would have anything like the same impact if you've read the book beforehand. The plot kept me guessing, but maybe I'm just slow on the uptake!

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Post by nimnarb »

Blimey....

turned it off after 10 minutes...........stated to fall asleep. :roll:

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Post by redsturgeon »

zico wrote:9/10. Suspense thriller with Emily Blunt (who is terrific in this).

I really enjoyed most of the book, until I'd worked out the various twists and turns and then it just became run of the mill. So I am doubtful that, already knowing the plot, the film will be that enjoyable for me. Strangely I think I will be intrigued to see how they have managed the translocation from London to New York though and Emily Blunt is not how I imagined the main character from the book.

John

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Post by JMN2 »

Kindle book currently costs £4.99...I assume there is a twist in the plot, similar to Gone Girl Gone etc by Gillian Flynn?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Post by redsturgeon »

JMN2 wrote:Kindle book currently costs £4.99...I assume there is a twist in the plot, similar to Gone Girl Gone etc by Gillian Flynn?
I think someone should write a crime thriller with no twists in the plot at all and call it "Obvious".

It would be a great read, you would be on tenterhooks during the whole thing...waiting for the inevitable twist in the plot that never comes.

John

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Post by JMN2 »

redsturgeon wrote:
JMN2 wrote:Kindle book currently costs £4.99...I assume there is a twist in the plot, similar to Gone Girl Gone etc by Gillian Flynn?
I think someone should write a crime thriller with no twists in the plot at all and call it "Obvious".

It would be a great read, you would be on tenterhooks during the whole thing...waiting for the inevitable twist in the plot that never comes.

John
Come on John, you know what I meant - not a twist like in a Father Brown novel, but a twist like these modern bestsellers seem to have, MASSIVE and MIND-BOGGLING and OH MY GOD!

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Post by redsturgeon »

JMN2 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote: I think someone should write a crime thriller with no twists in the plot at all and call it "Obvious".

John
Come on John, you know what I meant - not a twist like in a Father Brown novel, but a twist like these modern bestsellers seem to have, MASSIVE and MIND-BOGGLING and OH MY GOD!
It's not quite Sixth Sense though. :D

John

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Post by JMN2 »

Anyway, I bought it, I need a break from Bernie Gunther.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Post by simoan »

I've never read the book but my other half had and said it was brilliant. Watching the film I can see that it would make a good book but the film was terrible - at no point do you empathise with any of the characters which IMHO is essential in these kind of films. I can see why you may enjoy watching it on a plane, or if you had the sunk cost of having paid for a cinema ticket, but at home I had a load more interesting things I could do, so I left my other half to it and listened to some music instead.

All the best, Si

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”