Everything everywhere all at once

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Everything everywhere all at once

Post by MrFoolish »

I'm about halfway through watching this film. The last half hour has been solid, Matrix-like frenetic fight scenes. If it carries on like this all the way to the end then I might give up on it. I like changes of pace, with plot and character development. Should I carry on watching it?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Everything everywhere all at once

Post by Lootman »

I made it to the end but am not sure I should have done.

Triangle of Sadness, on the other hand, I loved.

Watched them both last week, hence the comparison.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Post by MrFoolish »

Triangle of Sadness: "A film about out of touch wealthy people". Hmm.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

MrFoolish wrote:Triangle of Sadness: "A film about out of touch wealthy people". Hmm.
It reminded me a bit of The White Lotus, in that regard,

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

MrFoolish wrote:Should I carry on watching it?
I didn’t. It was one of the few films I gave up on and walked out halfway through.

monabri
Lemon Half

Post by monabri »

I didn't get that far in...probably about 10 mins or so.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

AF62 wrote:
MrFoolish wrote:Should I carry on watching it?
I didn’t. It was one of the few films I gave up on and walked out halfway through.
Ah I would have been annoyed if I had actually gone to a cinema to see it, and paid money. As it was I streamed it for free, so I only lost 2 hours and 20 minutes of my life.

I would much rather watch Kill Bill again. Never liked The Matrix. which might have been a clue :(

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

Lootman wrote:
AF62 wrote: I didn’t. It was one of the few films I gave up on and walked out halfway through.
Ah I would have been annoyed if I had actually gone to a cinema to see it, and paid money. As it was I streamed it for free, so I only lost 2 hours and 20 minutes of my life.
It was when I had a Cineworld Unlimited card so seeing individual films didn’t cost anything, other than time.

But that was back then and since the pandemic there has been very little decent to watch at the cinema so I cancelled it, helping Cineworld spiral to their doom.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Post by Gerry557 »

I liked the premise of the film but struggled to watch it. I ended up watching it in two parts.

In fact, recently I have found it difficult to find films that have entertained me rather that bored me. Maverick was an exception but Everything was nominated for some awards and even won some. Even Marvel, known for well made action movies seems to be suffering.

Of course it could be me. Maybe my tastes have changed. I haven't been to the cinema either recently and movies that I might normally entice me like Ant Man or Avatar don't have the pull anymore as I have been left dissapointed too many times.

I did put Gladiator on the other night, "Are you not entertained?" was the cry and yes I was so there is hope that the second one might get me back in. Still it had some fantastic music to go with it so another audio treat won't go amiss.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

Post-COVID there has been an absolute dearth of interesting films. A few blockbusters like Maverick had been made before and released now, but most other stuff being released is dross.

Is it because everything ground to a halt during COVID? Is it because output was routed to streaming services not cinemas?

No idea, but I do know I look at the weekly cinema listings and think ‘is that it?’ and then don’t bother but turn the tv on instead.

But of course the film industry has to hold awards whatever is released whether or not it is any good, and so stuff like Everything Everywhere wins awards when in the past it would have been irrelevant.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

AF62 wrote: I look at the weekly cinema listings and think ‘is that it?’ and then don’t bother but turn the tv on instead.
I have not been to a cinema in over 3 years, although I used to go a lot, and in fact used to be a member of the NFT. Since we set up an AV room in our home, we have a much better experience of watching content at home. It is cheaper, easier, more convenient and I have access to my bar. :D

And if the film is crap then the feeling of loss and waste is not as abject. I can zone in and out of the film whilst doing other things.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Post by MrFoolish »

So many films these days seem to be about action scenes rather than plot. I find these unrealistic fight scenes (which have no real consequences) a real turn off. And the picture chops around so quickly you can't really tell who's doing what. Similarly, everyone mumbles so you can't tell what they are saying.

Perhaps it's me getting old. In which case they aren't getting this oldie's money!

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

Lootman wrote:
AF62 wrote: I look at the weekly cinema listings and think ‘is that it?’ and then don’t bother but turn the tv on instead.
I have not been to a cinema in over 3 years, although I used to go a lot, and in fact used to be a member of the NFT.
Pre-pandemic I would normally see over 100 films a year at the cinema, some good, some bad, some indifferent, but with the Unlimited card you could take a risk with films as it didn't cost anything.

But post -pandemic I was lucky if something decent once a week or once a month came along.
Lootman wrote:Since we set up an AV room in our home, we have a much better experience of watching content at home. It is cheaper, easier, more convenient and I have access to my bar. :D
Convenience was never a problem as the nearest cinema was so close that I could leave home 10 minutes after the advertised start time and still be sitting down before the certificate card came up.

And as for access to the bar, my wife has a large handbag to take 'refreshments' and I have no shame :lol:
Lootman wrote:And if the film is crap then the feeling of loss and waste is not as abject. I can zone in and out of the film whilst doing other things.
Trouble is I actually quite like the forced concentration at the cinema as too easy to get distracted at home.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”