Gold

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Gold

Post by terminal7 »

Based on the the Brink's-Mat robbery, the BBC 1 series is a very engaging. Maybe a bit too tongue in cheek at times and a somewhat rose tinted version of the 'cheeky' villains - nevertheless a good cast of actors clearly had a lot of fun making this series.

T7

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Gold

Post by pje16 »

I enjoyed the 1st episode
will carry on with it

Sunday BBC 1 9pm
I'm not bingeing it (yet)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Post by bungeejumper »

I haven't seen it, but I hope it does at least acknowledge how vicious that bunch were. They came in with shotguns, doused the guards with petrol, and generally left a lot of mental scars on a lot of people. And Kenneth Noye was a complete murdering psycho, as he later proved. The Italian job, this wasn't. :(

On a lighter note, I used to know somebody who bought "Goldfinger" John Palmer's Range Rover after the police auctioned it off. (Palmer was the guy who melted down the gold in his garden in Bath, although he was acquitted after pleading that he didn't know where it had come from.) Never in the history of motoring has a car been so lovingly hoovered, checked, stripped and generally dismantled as that one! He didn't find any, though. Or if he did, he never told me. :|

BJ

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Post by BullDog »

bungeejumper wrote:I haven't seen it, but I hope it does at least acknowledge how vicious that bunch were. They came in with shotguns, doused the guards with petrol, and generally left a lot of mental scars on a lot of people. And Kenneth Noye was a complete murdering psycho, as he later proved. The Italian job, this wasn't. :(

On a lighter note, I used to know somebody who bought "Goldfinger" John Palmer's Range Rover after the police auctioned it off. (Palmer was the guy who melted down the gold in his garden in Bath, although he was acquitted after pleading that he didn't know where it had come from.) Never in the history of motoring has a car been so lovingly hoovered, checked, stripped and generally dismantled as that one! He didn't find any, though. Or if he did, he never told me. :|

BJ
Sadly, the characters were all portrayed as cheeky chappy types. Which of course is very far from the truth. I hear that victim's families are very upset about the characterisations.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

The opening soundtrack to Episode 2 last night was bugging me for a while as it faded in and out
Then I got it
New Order :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxDv_RTdLQo

Brilliant

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Post by JohnB »

I went down the Wikipedia rabbit hole after watching it, its surprising how many people ended up dead as a result, the most surprising being Alan Decebral who was going to testify against Noye even though he was a drug dealer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_N ... abral_case

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

JohnB wrote:I went down the Wikipedia rabbit hole after watching it, its surprising how many people ended up dead as a result, the most surprising being Alan Decebral who was going to testify against Noye even though he was a drug dealer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_N ... abral_case
a quite unnecessary caption
under the picture on that page
“Decabral before he died”
as if he could be sitting upright in a chair in any other state :D

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

pje16 wrote:
JohnB wrote:I went down the Wikipedia rabbit hole after watching it, its surprising how many people ended up dead as a result, the most surprising being Alan Decebral who was going to testify against Noye even though he was a drug dealer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_N ... abral_case
a quite unnecessary caption
under the picture on that page
“Decabral before he died”
as if he could be sitting upright in a chair in any other state :D
Dunno... from my memory didn't they wobble but not fall down?

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

terminal7 wrote:and a somewhat rose tinted version of the 'cheeky' villains
I haven’t seen it but would be interested how they covered the ‘cheeky’ Noye stabbing to death the police officer, DC John Fordham, who was carrying out surveillance on him after the robbery.

Or did they omit that from their rose tinted story?

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

AF62 wrote:
terminal7 wrote:and a somewhat rose tinted version of the 'cheeky' villains
I haven’t seen it but would be interested how they covered the ‘cheeky’ Noye stabbing to death the police officer, DC John Fordham, who was carrying out surveillance on him after the robbery.

Or did they omit that from their rose tinted story?
have just read the summaries here
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/ ... j/the-gold
looks like it is covered in episode 3
on iPlayer but not aired yet

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

wrt stabbing... it was dealt with but glossed over almost - nothing in depth. Just that huis defence was he was confronted in his garden by a dark clothed, balaclava wearing stranger that struck him, so he lashed out in self-defence

the lead detective did mention several times during the episode "five in the front, five in the back" to make the point that it was a frenzied "self defence"

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

didds wrote:wrt stabbing... it was dealt with but glossed over almost - nothing in depth. Just that huis defence was he was confronted in his garden by a dark clothed, balaclava wearing stranger that struck him, so he lashed out in self-defence

the lead detective did mention several times during the episode "five in the front, five in the back" to make the point that it was a frenzied "self defence"
agreed I almost missed the action.. it WAS glossed over and should have featured properly

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

pje16 wrote: agreed I almost missed the action.. it WAS glossed over and should have featured properly
And so didn’t portray Noye as the murdering psychopath that he is - but then if they had that wouldn’t be an easy watching BBC entertainment drama.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

AF62 wrote: And so didn’t portray Noye as the murdering psychopath that he is - but then if they had that wouldn’t be an easy watching BBC entertainment drama.
A very good point he was seen as happy cheeky chappy who wouldn't hurt a fly

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

pje16 wrote: A very good point he was seen as happy cheeky chappy who wouldn't hurt a fly

My cousin allegedly knew him....

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Post by moorfield »

Just binged watched it all yesterday. Liked the New Order soundtracktoo.
As with everything these days the script writers have seemingly found a way to leave the possibility of a series 2 open...

CliffEdge
Lemon Slice

Post by CliffEdge »

Disgusting that they could even consider making such a piece.
All media nowadays are contaminated by desensitized coarseness.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

CliffEdge wrote:Disgusting that they could even consider making such a piece.
don't go outside
It's a big bad world out there ;)

CliffEdge
Lemon Slice

Post by CliffEdge »

pje16 wrote:
CliffEdge wrote:Disgusting that they could even consider making such a piece.
don't go outside
Then why do people invite it into their hearthside? Why do you enjoy such "entertainment"?

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

CliffEdge wrote:
pje16 wrote: don't go outside
Then why do people invite it into their hearthside? Why do you enjoy such "entertainment"?
because it was good TV

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”