Happy Valley

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Happy Valley

Post by Leothebear »

Have started watching this late in the day, right back from series 1. If you didn't already know - it's very good!

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Happy Valley

Post by pje16 »

Well worth it
James Norton (Tommy Lee Royce) is brilliant in it (esp the chapel scene)

doolally
Lemon Slice

Post by doolally »

It's reported it was a cracking finale, I watched it but I wasn't sure due to the unintelligible mumbling
doolally

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

doolally wrote:It's reported it was a cracking finale, I watched it but I wasn't sure due to the unintelligible mumbling
doolally
I thought it was excellent
hyped just as much as Line of Duty where the ending was a damp squib
I didn't notice anything wrong with the sound

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

It'll go down as one of the great finales. I love the understatement towards the end from Catherine Cawood "We had another bit of a tussle".

Last night was quite emotional (if you are that way inclined) what with the final Dark Materials*, Happy Valley and sandwiched between, Call the Middling Wife.

As for mumbling, I think it was a bit sotto voce, which can be annoying. However, with headphones and occasional subtitles I manage!

*I must look out the books, because I don't remember it ending that way. But it's decades since reading them.

Arb.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

pottager

Post by pottager »

pje16 wrote: I didn't notice anything wrong with the sound
Neither did I, but when I do I just switch the subtitles on, why doesn't everybody?

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

caveat: I've only just started watching and am as far as Se1 Ep3 so careful with the spoilers please :-)

Se1 Ep3 - Catherine describes the kidnapping as a tiger kidnapping. This was a new term for me, so i googled it -

"A tiger kidnapping or tiger robbery involves two separate crimes. The first crime usually involves an abduction of a person or something someone highly values. Instead of demanding money, the captors demand that a second crime be committed on their behalf. The second crime could be anything from robbery, murder, to planting a bomb."

but the kidnapping IS for money. Not another action.

So why did Catherine describe it as such - anybody any ideas (as ever i am probably missing something!) Of course at that stage of the story (Se1Ep3) she knows less than we do, so that description cannot be because of something that transpires later in the series :-)

ta

Bounce

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

didds wrote:caveat: I've only just started watching and am as far as Se1 Ep3 so careful with the spoilers please :-)
Whatever you hear, stick with it, all 3 series, it is brilliant

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

pje16 wrote:
didds wrote:caveat: I've only just started watching and am as far as Se1 Ep3 so careful with the spoilers please :-)
Whatever you hear, stick with it, all 3 series, it is brilliant

TBH I've only heard good things.

its filmed of course in the Calder Valley - my best mate comes form there and I spent a fair bit of time there in the 80s.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Post by Mike88 »

The final episode was very good unlike the LIne of Duty finale but I much preferred Line of Duty.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

Mike88 wrote:The final episode was very good unlike the LIne of Duty finale but I much preferred Line of Duty.
LoD was excellent but petered out for the last 2 series and flopped at the end

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Post by MaraMan »

We are half way through the first series and I can only say that I hope it improves. Ridiculous plot. But it seems it does get better and I know I am an outlier on this one.

MM

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”