Anything good on Netflix or Amazon Prime?

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Anything good on Netflix or Amazon Prime?

Post by nimnarb »

Just watched the third series of Jack Ryan. Not bad. Looking for some action?

Tedx
Lemon Slice

Re: Anything good on Netflix or Amazon Prime?

Post by Tedx »

Watched Knives Out - Glass Onion. A decent sequel.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Post by nimnarb »

Thx. Saw that and enjoyed the first one.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Post by AsleepInYorkshire »

nimnarb wrote:Just watched the third series of Jack Ryan. Not bad. Looking for some action?
Jack Reacher? Amazon

AiY(D)

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Post by Laughton »

I'm obviously on a different wavelength so you probably won't enjoy Rogue Agent (which I did).

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Post by SalvorHardin »

I can't recommend anything more highly than "Justified" on Amazon Prime. They have all six series. A modern day western where a 21st century Marshal has a 19th century attitude to law enforcement. The writing is superb (it's the only adaptation of an Elmore Leonard book that he really liked - he was an executive producer).

Then "Elementary". Sherlock Holmes in 2012 New York. In this adaptation Holmes' drug addiction is a major issue and his father has hired Dr. Joan Watson (a former surgeon) as his sober companion. The masterstroke is casting Lucy Liu as Watson.

On Netflix. First up is "The Queen's Gambit". Superb drama about an orphan chess prodigy and you don't need to know anything about chess. IMHO the best thing that Netflix has produced.

Then "The Lincoln Lawyer", a Los Angeles lawyer (sole practitioner) with a chequered past who is hired to defend a multi billionaire tech businessman on a murder charge.

"The English Game" is a drama about the early days of professional football. Created by Julian Fellowes of Downton Abbey, though to me he is always going to be Kilwillie of "Monarch of the Glen"

If you love T20 Cricket, "Cricket Fever: Mumbai Indians" is worth a watch.

"Wanted", two Australian women from very different backgrounds end up on the run from the police, crooked police and gangsters.

"Lilyhammer". New York mobster rats on his boss and is put into witness protection in Lillehammer, Norway. Steven Van Zandt reprises his Silvio from The Sopranos (but he's not called that). He can't stop being the mobster. There's a lot of humour.

Otherwise get Paramount+. If only for Yellowstone and the prequels (I have just finished the 2nd episode of "1923" and am champing at the bit for episode 3).

Also "Top Gun: Maverick", which IMHO is better than the original.

Finally "Tulsa King", which stars Sylvester Stallone as another New York mobster who has just got out of prison after 25 years and expects to get his old position back because he didn't rat anyone out. Instead the family sends him to Tulsa, Oklahoma to develop a new territory. Shades of Lilyhammer!

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Post by nimnarb »

Thx SH, seen about half, so lots to catch up on. Treason, Netflix. Very good.

monabri
Lemon Half

Post by monabri »

Tedx wrote:Watched Knives Out - Glass Onion. A decent sequel.
I enjoyed both Knives out and Glass Onion. They both seemed to start off "cheesy, B-movie" ( especially 'Knives Out') and I was tempted to switch off. I think one has to get over the first 15 minutes or so and relax into it! ;)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

monabri wrote:
Tedx wrote:Watched Knives Out - Glass Onion. A decent sequel.
I enjoyed both Knives out and Glass Onion. They both seemed to start off "cheesy, B-movie" ( especially 'Knives Out') and I was tempted to switch off. I think one has to get over the first 15 minutes or so and relax into it! ;)
Watched it last night as it happens. Enjoyable enough although it could have been about 20 minutes shorter and I preferred the original. This one was a bit fanciful, and the combination of an isolated island and "James Bond" in it kept distracting me. :?

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Post by SalvorHardin »

nimnarb wrote:Thx SH, seen about half, so lots to catch up on. Treason, Netflix. Very good.
Now that I've sobered up there's a few more. My Netflix and Amazon Prime history is littered with series where I've watched the first ten minutes and then given up. If a show doesn't grab my attention by then I figure that it won't and I don't want to spend any more time on it given the large number of programmes that I haven't started :D

Netflix:
"Kleo". A German drama set a few years after the collapse of the Berlin Wall. A female Stasi assassin seeks revenge on her former bosses who imprisoned her in 1987 to cover their backsides. There's a lot of action in this show. Trailer below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd3k7BOlJpE

I've been hearing a lot of good things about "1899", including reports from people whose taste in TV is very similar to mine. I think that it's boring and gave up after 30 minutes. Trailer below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7OUQ9U2qIw

Amazon Prime
"The Peripheral". Based on a William Gibson book, set about ten years in the future. A virtual reality gamer earns extra cash by testing various company's products. A beta test of a VR headset from a Colombian firm puts her in an ultra-realistic simulation which is more real than real. Trailer below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRdkRQzcrrc

"The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power". Swords and Sorcery in Tolkien's Middle Earth. Apparently this is one of the most hated shows in the known universe! The creators had a huge problem in that they only had the rights to adapt a small proportion of Tolkien's work. Anyway I like it as do the other members of my Dungeons & Dragons / Pathfinder RPG group, two of whom have expert-level knowledge of everything Tolkien. I reckon that we're happy with some of the more extreme things in the show, such as Galadriel being the greatest warrior on the planet, who is capable of swimming across oceans and who has the skills to make her the Mary Sue to beat all Mary Sues, because we play very high level Pathfinder and we're used to such things in the game. Trailer below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8UAUAuKNcU

"Leverage". America's equivalent of "Hustle". An former insurance claims investigator puts together a team of four criminals (hitter, hacker, grifter and thief) to right wrongs (mostly people who've been ripped off by companies and/or the government). Five series, finishing in 2021, they have brought the show back as "Leverage: Redemption" which is currently showing its second series. The best trailer I could find is below, surprisingly there's isn't an official trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reXPb9NpBfM

"Clarkson's Farm". Jeremy Clarkson tries his hand at running his farm, in his usual style. This show is extremely popular with the farming community who say that it is far more realistic than the sanitised portrait that Countryfile portrays. My mother, who just about puts up with him in Top Gear as she likes May and Hammond, is a huge fan of him in Clarkson's Farm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW-iVG0_D34

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Post by nimnarb »

Lootman wrote:
monabri wrote: I enjoyed both Knives out and Glass Onion. They both seemed to start off "cheesy, B-movie" ( especially 'Knives Out') and I was tempted to switch off. I think one has to get over the first 15 minutes or so and relax into it! ;)
Watched it last night as it happens. Enjoyable enough although it could have been about 20 minutes shorter and I preferred the original. This one was a bit fanciful, and the combination of an isolated island and "James Bond" in it kept distracting me. :?
Exactly, poor sequel for me anyway. Think you summed it up. Stayed to the end but pleased when it came.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”