Harry & Meghan. Netflix

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Harry & Meghan. Netflix

Post by nimnarb »

Haven't watched it and don't think I will. Heard that they were paid $100 mill to do this. Pleased the Queen though is not around to see this.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Harry & Meghan. Netflix

Post by staffordian »

Noooooo!

I'd hoped this site might be a scandal-free haven :D :D

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Post by nimnarb »

staffordian wrote:Noooooo!

I'd hoped this site might be a scandal-free haven :D :D
:lol:

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

I love how they claim to hate all the publicity and then they actively seek it out.

Is there a more self-absorbed couple on the planet?

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Post by staffordian »

nimnarb wrote:Pleased the Queen though is not around to see this.
Definitely!

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Post by Howyoudoin »

nimnarb wrote:Haven't watched it and don't think I will. Heard that they were paid $100 mill to do this. Pleased the Queen though is not around to see this.
Apparently, the Royal Family have breathed a huge sigh of relief as there is nothing really damaging in there.

If Netflix want to keep chucking money around like there is no tomorrow, let them do so.

At some stage, Netflix subscribers will wonder what they are paying money for.

HYD

monabri
Lemon Half

Post by monabri »

My thoughts on these two...unprintable!

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

nimnarb wrote:Heard that they were paid $100 mill to do this.
I do hope that is fake news

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Post by Mike88 »

I watched the first episode but won't be watching more of that self indulgent twaddle.

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

Seems fairly tame stuff, from the news stories. The main "bombshell" is Meghan claiming the press was out to "destroy" her.

Given that right now on the Daily Mail website the first twelve articles are about the couple, all negative, I find that hard to argue against.

Scott.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

swill453 wrote: Given that right now on the Daily Mail website the first twelve articles are about the couple
Scott.
Only twelve they are toning things down then :lol:
Is there a colour supplement coming out ?

Do Netflix publish viewing figures anywhere, given the tone of this forum they will be lucky to get to a thousand

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

I am really interested in this, and reactions to it. There seems to be a reservoir of dislike for Meghan, and this has been going for years. I don't care for it as it has all the hallmarks of a bandwagon, or condemnation by lynch mob. One of my friends in particularly is totally anti-H and M. Whatever good points or defensive points anyone might raise, his answer would be "narcissists like her are very good at taking people in. Everyone falls for her playing the victim". To that, there is no answer, no defence, no way to prove otherwise in his mind. It's a box from which there is no way out (or in).

What I would particularly be interested in are the views across generations, for I have a feeling that a group of largely elderly readers or viewers would regard H and M quite differently from younger ones. If you are one of the many people in this country who have sufferred the drip of petty racism on a daily basis, you are going to have a different outlook - what Meghan says will resonate. I don't feel in any position to judge as I don't know enough: indeed could any of us know enough? Yet millions of words have already been spilled from this lack of information.

The early reaction to the program was benign and relatively positive. No big bombshell, nothing aimed at particular personalities in the Royal fam, but mainly at media instrusion and subconscious racism. Many people will understand that POV after the phone hacking scandals and Princess Diana. As for unconsious racism, that certainly has the ring of truth when you read the remarks made by Lady Hussey (who probably meant no harm, but showed her own subconscious racism). Within that stratum of society, it would not be surprising if people of colour were slightly looked down upon and not being "one of us": it's endemic and unconsious.

So, as I say, the initial reaction was mild, but today the papers are stamping all over them with a revenge attack of their own. They would, wouldn't they! Almost all are writing their own book and defending their own position, so how can one take their assessment seriously?

Meanwhile, I am looking out for balanced opinions from wherever I find them: but does anyone not have an axed to grind here?

Arb.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Post by Redmires »

Does 'couldn't give a fig either way' count as a balanced opinion ?

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

Redmires wrote:Does 'couldn't give a fig either way' count as a balanced opinion ?
Maybe :) But maybe not.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Post by vrdiver »

I used to watch Netflix's "Suits" when Meghan was in it.
I liked her character, which rubbed off into liking the actor.

I was incredibly impressed with Harry when his men chose to wear the "I'm Harry" t-shirts. It seemed to suggest that he had real leadership skills and had earned the respect of his men.

I am not a big fan of the tittle-tattle stories that the press seem to think we all want to read.

£100 million sounds a suspiciously large and round number to have been paid for their involvement. Without evidence to support it, I will choose to consider the number to be fantasy (I'm not knocking the poster who reported this as an alleged fact, rather just commenting on my opinion of the likely truth).

Like others, I have noted that the press will put a very different slant on how they report on Harry and Meghan vs say, William and Kate; editorial agenda does seem to have a bias.

I'm retired, but not yet at state pension age (for a while still, if that makes a difference as per Arb's comments above). I shan't bother to watch H&M's Netflix offering, but that's because I have little interest in the soap opera that the media turn "The Royals" into. Perhaps in a couple of hundred years, when the historians look at the matter I'll take a look...

VRD

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Post by AsleepInYorkshire »

Arborbridge wrote:I am really interested in this, and reactions to it. There seems to be a reservoir of dislike for Meghan, and this has been going for years. I don't care for it as it has all the hallmarks of a bandwagon, or condemnation by lynch mob. One of my friends in particularly is totally anti-H and M. Whatever good points or defensive points anyone might raise, his answer would be "narcissists like her are very good at taking people in. Everyone falls for her playing the victim". To that, there is no answer, no defence, no way to prove otherwise in his mind. It's a box from which there is no way out (or in).

What I would particularly be interested in are the views across generations, for I have a feeling that a group of largely elderly readers or viewers would regard H and M quite differently from younger ones. If you are one of the many people in this country who have suffered the drip of petty racism on a daily basis, you are going to have a different outlook - what Meghan says will resonate. I don't feel in any position to judge as I don't know enough: indeed, could any of us know enough? Yet millions of words have already been spilled from this lack of information.

The early reaction to the program was benign and relatively positive. No big bombshell, nothing aimed at particular personalities in the Royal fam, but mainly at media intrusion and subconscious racism. Many people will understand that POV after the phone hacking scandals and Princess Diana. As for unconscious racism, that certainly has the ring of truth when you read the remarks made by Lady Hussey (who probably meant no harm, but showed her own subconscious racism). Within that stratum of society, it would not be surprising if people of colour were slightly looked down upon and not being "one of us": it's endemic and unconscious.

So, as I say, the initial reaction was mild, but today the papers are stamping all over them with a revenge attack of their own. They would, wouldn’t they! Almost all are writing their own book and defending their own position, so how can one take their assessment seriously?

Meanwhile, I am looking out for balanced opinions from wherever I find them: but does anyone not have an axed to grind here?

Arb.
I think it's interesting that Harry & Meghan chose not to resolve the issues within the family and elected to leave and discuss them for a price. The need for money seems to be up front and central.

That aside I won't watch the series as I find them irritating. Which I find disingenuous as I have always liked Harry, until he turned on his family for a price. They claim to want to protect the planet. Their carbon footprint is testament to them "preaching" one thing and doing the opposite. Rank hypocrisy. We all have choices in this world. My choice is not to watch.

May I add that my reply is not a dismissal or side swipe of anything you have said and I apologise as I haven’t really added any balance to the general consensus that is within the thread.

Thank you

Take care

AiY(D)

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Post by Nimrod103 »

swill453 wrote:Seems fairly tame stuff, from the news stories. The main "bombshell" is Meghan claiming the press was out to "destroy" her.

Given that right now on the Daily Mail website the first twelve articles are about the couple, all negative, I find that hard to argue against.

Scott.
Possibly true, but if you are going to mount a defence, you shouldn't go out and tell lies. Including in the Netlflix programme (which I have no intention of watching) film of papazzi taking pictures of other people, and claiming they are harassing you, is not a good way of going about things. It suggests a careless attitude towards the truth, and truth matters. And it has led to the accusation that H&M paid photographers to cluster around them, which does rather suggest they are plotting this whole thing.

My personal view FWIW is that there was evidence H was emotionally unstable with a big chip on his shoulder before he met M, which is why Cressida Bonas couldn't stand any more and left. Given the evidence of M's character, one does wonder whether she (and her friends) might have targetted H as a useful pawn from the very start.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

Nimrod103 wrote:Given the evidence of M's character, one does wonder whether she (and her friends) might have targetted H as a useful pawn from the very start.
She does have the air/presence of being a wannabee

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Post by Nimrod103 »

pje16 wrote:
Nimrod103 wrote:Given the evidence of M's character, one does wonder whether she (and her friends) might have targetted H as a useful pawn from the very start.
She does have the air/presence of being a wannabee
If it was just a case of her wannabee a princess, just like in a Disney movie, it would be pretty harmless. But ISTM there is a much darker side, with talk of her wanting to enter US politics, and surrounding herself with people who are very clever at pushing an anti UK, anti Royal Family agenda.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Post by AsleepInYorkshire »

A two minute video clip which starts with a telephone caller discussing what they thought of the H&M Netflix programme. The caller seems very impressed with it. It's worth waiting for the host's reply though, which seems ... well you decide.

AiY(D)

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”