The 100 Scariest Movie Moments

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

The 100 Scariest Movie Moments

Post by Howyoudoin »

Been hearing lots of good things about Shudder’s 101 Scariest Horror Film Moments.

Unfortunately I haven’t been successful in finding that series without subscribing but apparently Bravo’s version in 2004 is equally as good but obviously doesn’t include films since then.

The Bravo version is on YouTube as per link below and I’ve been watching for the last 90 minutes. It’s awesome (if you like scary movies/scary scenes).

https://youtu.be/JILpgm6Kkag

HYD

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Re: The 100 Scariest Movie Moments

Post by Howyoudoin »

I doubt that anyone would find something from a horror film more terrifying than no 55. Being killed by a vampire/zombie/werewolf/dinosaur doesn’t compare.

I’ll take the latter every time.

HYD

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Post by nimnarb »

I think this classifies as horror/scary, and for me the most frightening and disturbing film in the 70's and still possibly today, albeit have not seen it for at least 20 years.

Eraserhead. David Lynch. You can certainly rent it and perhaps on Amazon Prime, but for those that have not seen it, be prepared.

As an aside, imagine the scene. Midnight cult showing in Belsize Park or somewhere in that vicinity and I took my wife and invited my mother who did not exactly have a great sense of humour and as we approached the cinema, there were all these weird people dressed up as the main actor(for those that have seen it, you will know what I mean) with hair up to the ceiling. She was not amused, as we told her this was a sequel to The Love Story with Ryan O'Neil. :D

Funny then, but on reflection, not so much now.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Post by Gerry557 »

What's scary is quite subjective. I'd laugh at some of those probably but I suppose someone had to put a list together.

I scared grandma with the 2016 film The Accountant, staring Ben Affleck. Action thriller it's described, so not what you would class as a scary film. I'd bought a new subwoofer and skipped forward to play a bit of the film. It just happened to be a part where Ben is sharp shooting on a farm. The bass from the shot is wot did it your honor. Fortunately grandma survived. Sound can play a big part of the scare especially for jump scares.

Independence day 1996 springs to mind. When the alien hits the glass. Seen it several times so knew what to expect but it was much scarier with a better sound system. The audience can also play a big part if you are in the cinema. Those old enough will probably remember the scene in Jaws where they look at a hole in a boat underwater. The event on screen is not really that bad but the reaction was OTT.

I suppose if you want to use sound as a scare the Atmos version of A Quiet Place and it's sequel spring to mind.

I doubt I will be signing up to their service though. Scary films aren't really my thing and why limit yourself to just a small part of films available. I guess I will miss out on which scenes in particular are scariest.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Post by GoSeigen »

My daughters were petrified by Watership Down and refuse to watch it to this day but happily enjoy Fatal Attraction (also featuring rabbits) or The Shining.

Where and when you watch is probably also a factor...

GS

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Post by scrumpyjack »

I recall back in 1975 seeing the film Towering Inferno with Steve McQueen where people were trapped in a burning skyscraper, panicking :o :shock: .

The effect was rather dampened as I was watching it in a drive in movie in the rain, over the other side of the pond!

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Post by stevensfo »

I saw the first Alien film in a cinema. The alien jumping out of the guy's stomach was gross, but the scariest part without doubt was where another guy was at a junction of four small dark tunnels, shining his torch round, with another person warning him that 'it's getting close'.

When the alien struck, the whole cinema audience seemed to jump out of their seats!

Then there's Doctor Who and the Tomb of the Cybermen that gave me nightmares for 50 years! 8-)

Steve

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Post by Redmires »

For me, it's 'American Werewolf in London'. Saw it at the cinema many, many years ago and the 'dream mutants' scene did it for me. Nazi mutants invade a peaceful house scene. Horror ensues and then he wakes up in a hospital bed. Phew, it's just a dream and the audience relax. And then Jenny Agutter opens the curtains .....

Great film though.

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

For me it was Ringu

"That bit" at the end of the movie was bad enough
but the work mate who lent us the VHS copy timed his phone call to the flat to perfectly coincide with the end credits :o

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”