TV viewing

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
cinelli
Lemon Slice

TV viewing

Post by cinelli »

I have just heard a trailer for a BBC drama: "The Capture. Tonight at 9pm on BBC iPlayer." The point is they didn't mention the channel. Have we really reached the point where almost everyone is watching via (the*) iPlayer? Although I occasionally catch up on programmes I have missed, most of my viewing is either live or via a PVR.

Cinelli

* It still sounds wrong to me to omit the definite article when mentioning (the) iPlayer.

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Re: TV viewing

Post by Arborbridge »

cinelli wrote:I have just heard a trailer for a BBC drama: "The Capture. Tonight at 9pm on BBC iPlayer." The point is they didn't mention the channel. Have we really reached the point where almost everyone is watching via (the*) iPlayer? Although I occasionally catch up on programmes I have missed, most of my viewing is either live or via a PVR.

Cinelli

* It still sounds wrong to me to omit the definite article when mentioning (the) iPlayer.
I take your word for it, but it wasn't too difficult to find out which channel it was on. If it had been difficult, I wouldn't have found it. Don't you have a guide on your TV? or some printed paper - or there's an app called Freeview which is convenient.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Post by Hallucigenia »

cinelli wrote:I have just heard a trailer for a BBC drama: "The Capture. Tonight at 9pm on BBC iPlayer." The point is they didn't mention the channel. Have we really reached the point where almost everyone is watching via (the*) iPlayer?
According to the Beeb's annual report, the average person spent 7:02 hours/week with BBC TV and exactly 1 hour per week on iPlayer - although I suspect the ratio skews quite a bit towards catchup for boxset-type drama whereas eg news will skew the other way.

https://downloads.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc ... f#page=176

But - they have just launched a policy of "digital first" which this may be a sign of. Also you may have missed that iPlayer had the first two episodes available immediately, whereas the second one is on TV tonight, so they may have been saying something specifically about that?

For those who've not been paying attention, we're talking about the second series of the Holliday Grainger CCTV drama - I enjoyed the first and the second is shaping up nicely, despite no Laura Haddock this time...

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Post by bluedonkey »

Thanks for mentioning this. I enjoyed series 1, didn't realise series 2 had started.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Post by Mike88 »

bluedonkey wrote:Thanks for mentioning this. I enjoyed series 1, didn't realise series 2 had started.
It was a good watch so far. Episode 2 on tonight.

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

Mike88 wrote:
bluedonkey wrote:Thanks for mentioning this. I enjoyed series 1, didn't realise series 2 had started.
It was a good watch so far. Episode 2 on tonight.
OMG: I discovered that Ep 2 is on tonight more or less accidentally. Also another Red Rose. Both similar internetty scary stuff. Both BBC, both worth watching, for those who say there's nothing on the BBC ;)

As regards The Capture, do you know if it will be Sun/Monday each week?

Arb.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Capture (was TV viewing)

Post by Hallucigenia »

Arborbridge wrote:As regards The Capture, do you know if it will be Sun/Monday each week?
I thought they might be doing the thing where they do the first two in quick sucession just to get you started before reverting to a 1/week schedule but no, the programme guides seem to be saying that there will be episodes on both Sunday and Monday 5th, so it looks like Sunday/Monday for three weeks, presumably with two episodes being released on iPlayer every Sunday.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

I have watched the first 2 episodes,
I thought the 1st was very good and 2nd gets even better

Season 1 was first shown in 2019
I watched that again a couple of weeks ago
worth watching as it lays down the background for season 2

This is one of the best of the BBC's dramas for some time

First 2 episodes on last night and tonight (Sky let me watch episode 2 last night as well)

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Post by Mike88 »

I really enjoyed the earlier episodes but the whole thing just fizzled out to the point it became so convoluted I found it difficult to follow.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

I thought season 2 was one of the best things the BBC have done in ages
The ending was not at all disappointing as it was with Line of Duty

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

Mike88 wrote:I really enjoyed the earlier episodes but the whole thing just fizzled out to the point it became so convoluted I found it difficult to follow.
I second that. I haven't watched the final episode, but I was quite confused by the end of the penultimate one. I think there was some time-shifting, but it was all a muddle.

I had hoped this would end, but no - it seems like we have one of those things which goes on until the viewers go on strike and they till it. I do like a beginning, middle and end! (with no return)

Arb.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

Arborbridge wrote: I had hoped this would end, but no - it seems like we have one of those things which goes on until the viewers go on strike and they till it. I do like a beginning, middle and end! (with no return)

Arb.
Last night it did come to an end, and a good one at that

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

cinelli wrote:Have we really reached the point where almost everyone is watching via (the*) iPlayer? Although I occasionally catch up on programmes I have missed, most of my viewing is either live or via a PVR.
For an awful lot of people it is.

My TV only shows broadcast TV when nobody is really watching. As for recording things, I haven’t done that for years.

If we sit down to watch something then it will be something streamed; and the same for the radio, anything I actually want to listen to will be streamed.

I want to watch or listen to things that I want to watch or listen to and when I want to, and not what the broadcasters may be broadcasting.

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

AF62 wrote:
cinelli wrote:Have we really reached the point where almost everyone is watching via (the*) iPlayer? Although I occasionally catch up on programmes I have missed, most of my viewing is either live or via a PVR.

My TV only shows broadcast TV when nobody is really watching. As for recording things, I haven’t done that for years.

If we sit down to watch something then it will be something streamed; and the same for the radio, anything I actually want to listen to will be streamed.

I want to watch or listen to things that I want to watch or listen to and when I want to, and not what the broadcasters may be broadcasting.
Ditto

Might have radio on in the background - but otherwise we're in charge

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

AF62 wrote:

This is fascinating -we are quite different in the way we approach this. I never stream unless I have to: it's my last option and does not happen more than once every few weeks, though more recently. I often record as there are those purposeful (?) clashes concocted by schedulers, so I record the commercial item to cut out the adverts, and watch the BBC item live. I can record two, if desired, while watching one which was a previous recording.

As to watching things when I want to, I can see the point of that sometimes, but generally I prefer the randomness of choice which forces us occasionally to watch something unintended.
I find this with radio 3, also. I am content to hear what has been selected for broadcast because it contains gems I have never previously heard - I learn more that way. It's true that sometimes the selections don't suit my mood, so I turn to my CD collection or something downloaded (a new innovation for me!).

As for films, I hire DVDs in preference to streaming. I can count of the fingers of one hand the films I've streamed over three years - usually the motive is something unusual whch I couldn't see any other way.
The DVDs work like this: I set up and maintain a list of films I know I want to watch with http://www.cinemaparadiso.co.uk. They are then sent to me in random order (or at least an order not of my making). Each time the post arrives it is therefore a surprise. Each time we sit down to watch a film it becomes a special occasion. (Note: with cinema paradiso, one can force priorities to receive in an order you dictate, but I rarely bother)

Is my way of doing this something connected with delayed gratification? Sometimes I can wait a year or two before the DVD I've put on the list turns up. By that time, I've forgotten why I chose it, and that becomes a voyage of discovery.

I'd find having everything on tap with no surprises a bit mind deadening. Actually, rather boring to know the sweet shop is always open and full of sweets just when you want them.

It's this way with opera, ballet and theatre, of course. You might be waiting for a several seasons before something you've heard about comes around in a production - and then you book tickets. So it's a similar kind of enjoyment of the "happenstance" - the joy of the unexpected.

As I pointed out at the start: you and I are quite different. Neither is write or wrong, but it might be an interesting subject to analyse why some people prefer one approach or the other. I would also suggest it could be age related. I can't imagine my grandchildren approaching life in this way: they want it when they want it, and that is usual 30 seconds after they've thought of it. This is all very well but has economic consequences - but that's another discussion.

Arb.

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

Arborbridge wrote:They are then sent to me in random order (or at least an order not of my making). Each time the post arrives it is therefore a surprise.
I think that's how Netflix used to work back in the day that it was posting dvd through the mail?

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

servodude wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:They are then sent to me in random order (or at least an order not of my making). Each time the post arrives it is therefore a surprise.
I think that's how Netflix used to work back in the day that it was posting dvd through the mail?
BUT Netflix have moved on :lol:
they even have a surprise me button

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

pje16 wrote:
servodude wrote: I think that's how Netflix used to work back in the day that it was posting dvd through the mail?
BUT Netflix have moved on :lol:
they even have a surprise me button
Would the surprise me button surprise me by saying they were paying a decent amount in UK tax? :lol:

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

Arborbridge wrote: Would the surprise me button surprise me by saying they were paying a decent amount in UK tax? :lol:
I doubt it
that would be a “shock” button :lol:

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

Arborbridge wrote:Neither is write or wrong, but it might be an interesting subject to analyse why some people prefer one approach or the other.
For me it was finding less and less I wanted to watch on broadcast tv, and frustrated by the broadcasters not showing what I did want to watch.

A great example is only the first two series of Breaking Bad were broadcast in the UK, and then buried away on Five USA - how many awards has the show won, but no mainstream UK broadcasters were interested. As for the BBC’s treatment of The Wire…

Most of UK broadcast tv drama is ‘cookie cutter’ tv, with the same actors and the same story premise. It takes no risks, and simply isn’t interesting.

I look at the schedule for this evening (sure things have been disrupted by current events) but it is the same dull, same old same old. with nothing to interest.

And when the BBC does have something good, such as the recent second series of Lykkeland / State of Happiness it is buried away on BBC 4 (the channel the BBC wants to turn off) but is available for streaming on the iPlayer at the same time so you might as well watch it there.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”