Fallen Idols

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Fallen Idols

Post by terminal7 »

The thread on Top Gun got the few remaining brain cells lurching around. Having read extensively about Mr Ron L Hubbard (all in the name) and his 'Church' of Scientology, I avoid watching T Cruise - however as I have never particularly liked his acting and personality, he is not really for me a fallen idol. However what to do about Saint Eric? I have been many times to his concerts and have a stack of his cds. However, I can't listen to his music music anymore without thinking about the recent drivel regarding covid. In many ways summed up by Keef:
I love Eric dearly. I’ve known him since forever and we’ve had ups and downs. This COVID thing, it’s split people up and it made people sometimes go awry for awhile, you know?
Slowhand - top of my list of fallen idols. Interesting to note that the 'Garry Glitter Jukebox' getting recent exposure on YouTube. For a mindless feel good blast - GG was near the top - but no longer as on my list of fallen idols. Saw Lou Reed at RAH - totally contemptuous of the audience - immediately joined my fallen idols.

I would be interested in other foolish suggestions to join the list - Mel Gibson, OJ (though not really big in the UK), Phil Spector etc

T7

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Re: Fallen Idols

Post by Redmires »

John Lydon - advertising butter
Iggy Pop - advertising car insurance

There's probably a few more examples of 'sell-out's'. Having said that, a musicians attitude or stance on a subject doesn't necessarily effect my enjoyment of the music. I'll not be throwing out any LP's / CD's.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Post by redsturgeon »

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Post by mc2fool »

terminal7 wrote:However what to do about Saint Eric?
Saint Eric? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Clap ... n_White%22

CliffEdge
Lemon Slice

Post by CliffEdge »

They're all rubbish. I prefer music.

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

mc2fool wrote:
terminal7 wrote:However what to do about Saint Eric?
Saint Eric? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Clap ... n_White%22
I was an avid reader of the Beano many years ago (less so these days)
and the tone control developed by fender for the "Clapton" strat is awesome in its range (add the Gilmour switch to bring in the bridge pup and you've got my perfect strat wiring)
but there's a good argument that Eric's biggest contribution to music was that Enoch Powell driven rant... in that it kick started the "Rock Against Racism" movement and gave us a range of artists and collaborations, that were much more engaging than the middle of the road middle aged blues runs he was churning out by then, and the influence of which is still with us

...but Bluesbreakers days he was awesome and we should always be grateful for that

On the original topic, see also Morrissey :(

-sd

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”