pje16
Lemon Half

Inventing Anna

Post by pje16 »

This was No.1 on UK Netflix last week so you may have come across it already
I have just finished it

based on a true story
just shows how the more you have the more easily you get conned :roll:

A reporter digs into how Anna Delvey convinced New York's elite she was a German heiress
very entertaining

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Re: Inventing Anna

Post by nimnarb »

Intriguing. Thx. Thought I recognized Julia Garner(think that's her) from Ozark. She was great in that and getting used to her accent now as opposed to the f bomb hick she played in Ozark. Regardless, she is good and methinks this might be a binge watch. On to the second episode.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Post by terminal7 »

For those who don't have Netflix and are interested - there is a great BBC4 podcast from 2019 titled the Fake Heiress.

T7

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

pje16 wrote:This was No.1 on UK Netflix last week so you may have come across it already
I have just finished it

based on a true story
just shows how the more you have the more easily you get conned :roll:

A reporter digs into how Anna Delvey convinced New York's elite she was a German heiress
very entertaining
Sounds good: just a shame with all these people watching that they cannot be forced to pay a decent rate of corporation tax. Such antics undermine the BBC and the whole of British business, in my view. It enables them to overpay for talent sometimes trained in Britain, often encouraged by the BBC. If the BBC tries to compete, they get slagged off for overpaying.

Personally, I have enough to watch and am happy to boycott companies such as Netflix.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

terminal7 wrote:For those who don't have Netflix and are interested - there is a great BBC4 podcast from 2019 titled the Fake Heiress.

T7
Yep I listened to that as well
the opening of each of the 6 episodes is repetitive, have a yawn through that, but the rest is well done

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

pje16 wrote:
terminal7 wrote:For those who don't have Netflix and are interested - there is a great BBC4 podcast from 2019 titled the Fake Heiress.

T7
Yep I listened to that as well
the opening of each of the 6 episodes is repetitive, have a yawn through that, but the rest is well done
Ahhh! That's where I know it from!
Did enjoy the podcast - but you're right about the "previously on" aspect of it
Looking forward to watching this as Julia Garner is normally brilliant

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

nimnarb wrote:Intriguing. Thx. Thought I recognized Julia Garner(think that's her) from Ozark. She was great in that and getting used to her accent now as opposed to the f bomb hick she played in Ozark. Regardless, she is good and methinks this might be a binge watch. On to the second episode.
Yes that's her
She is brilliant in Inventing Anna
Thanks @nimnarb
I'll have to give Ozark a go

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Post by nimnarb »

pje16 wrote:
nimnarb wrote:Intriguing. Thx. Thought I recognized Julia Garner(think that's her) from Ozark. She was great in that and getting used to her accent now as opposed to the f bomb hick she played in Ozark. Regardless, she is good and methinks this might be a binge watch. On to the second episode.
Yes that's her
Thanks @nimnarb
You haven’t seen Ozark!!!! Are you in for a treat then. Particularly the recent series.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

nimnarb wrote:
pje16 wrote: Yes that's her
Thanks @nimnarb
You haven’t seen Ozark!!!! Are you in for a treat then. Particularly the recent series.
Nope not yet
I'll start with series 1

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Post by kempiejon »

nimnarb wrote:
I loved the first season, season 2 I was taken with with early on but lost me towards the end and I never got stuck into season 3 and I see 4 is now available. Perhaps I should re-visit S3 to run into S4.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Post by nimnarb »

Yes, its quite a while back but I also think I gave up on season 2 midway(which might have been a mistake). I only got round to recently seeing season 4 which was a binge watch and actually never seen season 3 but don't think I missed out.

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Post by MaraMan »

Couldn't get on with Ozark and am finding Finding Anna, lets say, difficult. We are two episodes in, but my wife very much enjoyed the podcast and I was already aware of this woman's story.

Sounds like I am very much in the minority.

MM

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

Binge watched it this weekend and liked it a lot. As others have said it takes a while to get going, but it improves significantly starting with episode 4. Good cast, lavish production and a nice homage to New York City if you like the place, which I do.

Not sure about Anna's German accent but an interesting contrast to her southern hillbilly accent in Ozark, and not bad for a Jewish girl from the Bronx. :D

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

I am well into Ozark now (episode 10 of 1st Series)
The splat at the end of episode one was a shock
1 min 47secs in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoAgrmtjKU8

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Post by redsturgeon »

Lootman wrote:Binge watched it this weekend and liked it a lot. As others have said it takes a while to get going, but it improves significantly starting with episode 4. Good cast, lavish production and a nice homage to New York City if you like the place, which I do.

Not sure about Anna's German accent but an interesting contrast to her southern hillbilly accent in Ozark, and not bad for a Jewish girl from the Bronx. :D
Sorokin was born and brought up near Moscow and only moved to Germany at aged 16, then moved to London and Paris before New York, spending only perhaps 4 or 5 years in Germany in total. Whatever accent she has is unlikely to be typically German.

John

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

redsturgeon wrote:
Lootman wrote:Binge watched it this weekend and liked it a lot. As others have said it takes a while to get going, but it improves significantly starting with episode 4. Good cast, lavish production and a nice homage to New York City if you like the place, which I do.

Sorokin was born and brought up near Moscow and only moved to Germany at aged 16, then moved to London and Paris before New York, spending only perhaps 4 or 5 years in Germany in total. Whatever accent she has is unlikely to be typically German.
Yes but the show (which proudly admits to be partly made up) presents Anna as a "German heiress" and so I took that at face value.

That said insofar as the accent wasn't authentic (and I claim no expertise either way) then it did not spoil the show for me.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

redsturgeon wrote: Sorokin was born and brought up near Moscow and only moved to Germany at aged 16, then moved to London and Paris before New York, spending only perhaps 4 or 5 years in Germany in total. Whatever accent she has is unlikely to be typically German.
John
To my untrained ear her accent sounded more like a cross betweeen Russian and German to me
Full on German normally sound a bit harsher (IMHO)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Post by redsturgeon »

Lootman wrote:
redsturgeon wrote: Sorokin was born and brought up near Moscow and only moved to Germany at aged 16, then moved to London and Paris before New York, spending only perhaps 4 or 5 years in Germany in total. Whatever accent she has is unlikely to be typically German.
Yes but the show (which proudly admits to be partly made up) presents Anna as a "German heiress" and so I took that at face value.

That said insofar as the accent wasn't authentic (and I claim no expertise either way) then it did not spoil the show for me.
The actress portraying Sorokin met her several times in Riker's so she would have had a good idea of the real sound of her voice. Whether she then was trying to mimic her accent or merely get across the oddness of it-neither German nor Russian-is open to question but I think it safe to assume that she was not attempting a German accent.

John

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

redsturgeon wrote:
Lootman wrote: Yes but the show (which proudly admits to be partly made up) presents Anna as a "German heiress" and so I took that at face value.

The actress portraying Sorokin met her several times in Riker's so she would have had a good idea of the real sound of her voice. Whether she then was trying to mimic her accent or merely get across the oddness of it-neither German nor Russian-is open to question but I think it safe to assume that she was not attempting a German accent.

John
Isn't the point that she's playing A FAKE "German heiress"??
So accents might be a part of that... ;)

Absolutely top actress though and I'm looking forward to this

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

servodude wrote: Absolutely top actress though and I'm looking forward to this
She is brilliant in Ozark as well
Inventing Anna is excellent - enjoy

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”