Daniel Barenboim

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Dod101
The full Lemon

Daniel Barenboim

Post by Dod101 »

I watched the BBC4 Documentary this evening about his life and was entranced. I remember him from very early days when he married Jacqueline du Pre, a wonderful cellist whom I saw on the stage many years ago. In fact I am now listening to Barenboim playing Beethoven's First Piano Concerto under Otto Klemperer, about the only great conductor of the 20th century that I do not think he mentioned!

I think the programme is available on Iplayer for the next month for anyone interested. Lockdown has deprived me of live music!

Dod

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Re: Daniel Barenboim

Post by UncleEbenezer »

Aaargh! I saw your thread title, thought he must've just died. Don't do that!!!!!!

But it's OK. Just a programme about him. And he's a man whose achievements go way beyond merely being one of the greatest musicians of our times.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

UncleEbenezer wrote:Aaargh! I saw your thread title, thought he must've just died. Don't do that!!!!!!

But it's OK. Just a programme about him. And he's a man whose achievements go way beyond merely being one of the greatest musicians of our times.
Sorry about that. Glad you agree with me (or me with you!)

Dod

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Post by jackdaww »

greatest living musician.

certainly since bernstein died .

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

Dod101 wrote:I watched the BBC4 Documentary this evening about his life and was entranced. I remember him from very early days when he married Jacqueline du Pre, a wonderful cellist whom I saw on the stage many years ago. In fact I am now listening to Barenboim playing Beethoven's First Piano Concerto under Otto Klemperer, about the only great conductor of the 20th century that I do not think he mentioned!

I think the programme is available on Iplayer for the next month for anyone interested. Lockdown has deprived me of live music!

Dod
I remember he was for a time under a cloud at that time, but that's in the dim and distant. I saw Jacky du Pre only once, at Fairfield in Croydon. She was a bit of an idol back then.

I'll catch up with the Barenboim program later - was watching the Girl Before, I believe.

Arb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

Arborbridge wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I watched the BBC4 Documentary this evening about his life and was entranced. I remember him from very early days when he married Jacqueline du Pre, a wonderful cellist whom I saw on the stage many years ago. In fact I am now listening to Barenboim playing Beethoven's First Piano Concerto under Otto Klemperer, about the only great conductor of the 20th century that I do not think he mentioned!

Dod
I remember he was for a time under a cloud at that time, but that's in the dim and distant. I saw Jacky du Pre only once, at Fairfield in Croydon. She was a bit of an idol back then.

I'll catch up with the Barenboim program later - was watching the Girl Before, I believe.

Arb.
Yes the cloud was discussed in the programme. He admitted he is 'no saint'. He remained married to Jacqueline du Pre and whilst looking after her took up with another who subsequently became his wife. He comes across as a decent guy though.

Dod

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Post by bungeejumper »

I have his Warner Bros set of Beethoven symphonies with the Staatskapelle Berlin. No gimmicks, he plays them 'straight', but by a long distance they're the most dynamic and generally awesome renderings I've ever heard. I must have a quick burst of his uplifting ninth, and soon!

Total respect for everything he's done with the West-Eastern Divan orchestra, too. Apparently he used to get death threats in Israel for having brought Jewish and Islamic musicians together. Absolutely one of the greats.
Yes the cloud was discussed in the programme. He admitted he is 'no saint'. He remained married to Jacqueline du Pre and whilst looking after her took up with another who subsequently became his wife. He comes across as a decent guy though.
LOL, Dod, Jacqueline du Pre was no saint either! I play the cello (a little, and badly :( ), but professionals' stories of her extramarital exploits are legion. To put it mildly. :lol:

BJ

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

bungeejumper wrote:I have his Warner Bros set of Beethoven symphonies with the Staatskapelle Berlin. No gimmicks, he plays them 'straight', but by a long distance they're the most dynamic and generally awesome renderings I've ever heard. I must have a quick burst of his uplifting ninth, and soon!

BJ
Have you heard any of the Carlos Kleiber recordings of those? I've only heard his fifth and seventh, but found both electrifying.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Post by bungeejumper »

UncleEbenezer wrote:Have you heard any of the Carlos Kleiber recordings of those? I've only heard his fifth and seventh, but found both electrifying.
Thanks, I've heard of the Kleiber recordings but I don't think I've heard them. Will give them a try. :) Must say that Beethoven's seventh deserves more attention than it usually gets. Possibly my favourite of them all, if only because it's so well balanced. And accessible to the veriest beginner in classical music. Top stuff.

BJ

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

UncleEbenezer wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:I have his Warner Bros set of Beethoven symphonies with the Staatskapelle Berlin. No gimmicks, he plays them 'straight', but by a long distance they're the most dynamic and generally awesome renderings I've ever heard. I must have a quick burst of his uplifting ninth, and soon!

BJ
Have you heard any of the Carlos Kleiber recordings of those? I've only heard his fifth and seventh, but found both electrifying.
Kleiber's fifth is the gold standard.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Post by jackdaww »

Arborbridge wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote: Have you heard any of the Carlos Kleiber recordings of those? I've only heard his fifth and seventh, but found both electrifying.
Kleiber's fifth is the gold standard.
===============================

beethoven seven with the concertgebouw under kleiber , thought by some the greatest performance of the greatest symphony .

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

jackdaww wrote:
Arborbridge wrote: Kleiber's fifth is the gold standard.
===============================

beethoven seven with the concertgebouw under kleiber , thought by some the greatest performance of the greatest symphony .
Having just listened to the Seventh for the Nth time, I really cannot agree that it is Beethoven's greatest. All of this is very subjective, but I would claim his Fifth or the glorious Ninth. In fact the Eroica I love as well. Beethoven can do no wrong for me. If I had to chose? I would take the Fifth.

But it is all sublime music as I am sure Barenboim would agree.

Dod

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Post by jackdaww »

Dod101 wrote:
jackdaww wrote: ===============================

Having just listened to the Seventh for the Nth time, I really cannot agree that it is Beethoven's greatest. All of this is very subjective, but I would claim his Fifth or the glorious Ninth. In fact the Eroica I love as well. Beethoven can do no wrong for me. If I had to chose? I would take the Fifth.

But it is all sublime music as I am sure Barenboim would agree.

Dod
==============================

i am in total accord with your choices.

six and seven are unique but not my favourites .

:)

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Post by jackdaww »

i will add--

some notable omissions ---

no mention of leonard bernstein , who barenboim must have encountered .

no mention of russian composers - in particular prokofief , shostokovich or even tchaikovsky ..

strange ..

:o

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Post by terminal7 »

jackdaww wrote:.

i will add--

no mention of russian composers - in particular prokofief , shostokovich or even tchaikovsky ..

strange ..

either Mossad or more likely cutting room floor?

T7

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

jackdaww wrote:.

i will add--

strange ..

I thought he mentioned Bernstein but maybe not. Certainly I do not remember any mention of Russian composers.

Dod

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”