Tchaichovsy Symphony No 6 Pathetique

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Tchaichovsy Symphony No 6 Pathetique

Post by monabri »

Use of new strings? New strings tend to stretch and thus go out of tune...there is a period of time when the tuning is unstable. A professional would have bedded the strings in beforehand but if a string had broken just prior to the start of the concert then there might not have been time to let the string
bed in.

Temperature change...instruments tuned on removing from case but then lose tuning due to a temperature difference as the instrument acclimatises.

( temperature changes can damage instruments...instruments arrive to the venue in their case after being transported in a cold environment. The instrument is removed from the case before acclimatising to the venue, there's a danger of the nitrocellulose lacquer cracking due to thermal shock).

monabri
Lemon Half

Post by monabri »

By the way ..from 2021 from the BBC, Scottish Symphony.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... PopzQHIURm

doolally
Lemon Slice

Post by doolally »

Dod101 wrote: You will know better than I but the violinist stood up playing a note which was certainly higher than a middle C. The whole orchestra seemed to join in, but it seemed to me in the preceding movement that they in general were horribly out of tune.
Dod
Perhaps they were playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order :lol:
doolally

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

doolally wrote:
Dod101 wrote: You will know better than I but the violinist stood up playing a note which was certainly higher than a middle C. The whole orchestra seemed to join in, but it seemed to me in the preceding movement that they in general were horribly out of tune.
Dod
Perhaps they were playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order :lol:
doolally
Good yes, it could well have been that!

Dod

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Post by AJC5001 »

Dod101 wrote:
stevensfo wrote:
PS I thought it was always the oboist who plays the tuning A?
You will know better than I but the violinist stood up playing a note which was certainly higher than a middle C. The whole orchestra seemed to join in, but it seemed to me in the preceding movement that they in general were horribly out of tune.

Dod
You mean they couldn't tell the A's from the oboe? :shock:

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”