Advice needed

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Advice needed

Post by redsturgeon »

I am thinking of starting on an enterprise that will need a lot of time and commitment but the rewards may be worth it.

Mrs RS loves medical dramas and I like to spend a little time with her watching TV but the likes of Casualty and Call the Midwife don't really float my boat. So...I was toying with the idea of starting at the beginning with "House".

What do people here think?

Is it worth it?

There's about 200 episodes to get through, will I stand the pace?

Thoughts welcome positive or negative.

John

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Advice needed

Post by AsleepInYorkshire »

redsturgeon wrote:I am thinking of starting on an enterprise that will need a lot of time and commitment but the rewards may be worth it.

Mrs RS loves medical dramas and I like to spend a little time with her watching TV but the likes of Casualty and Call the Midwife don't really float my boat. So...I was toying with the idea of starting at the beginning with "House".

Is it worth it?

John
I plead the 5th :lol:

AiY(D)

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

redsturgeon wrote:I am thinking of starting on an enterprise that will need a lot of time and commitment but the rewards may be worth it.

Is it worth it?

John
I enjoyed House
Hugh Laurie is very good in it
watched a lot of it years ago
enjoyable, not sure that I watched 200 though
Sky started to overdo it by putting it on different channels
on the same night you'd get series 5 volume 4, and series 3 volume 12
that just messed with my head :roll:
Last edited by pje16 on March 7th, 2023, 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Post by kempiejon »

I enjoyed House but lost momentum around season 4. It seemed pretty formulaic with the cases so you have to invest in the interpersonal stuff with his students, mate, protégé and boss. I wouldn't countanance Casulty, Call the Midwife etc so wouldn't be surprised if SO didn't take to it. Still must be worth a shot.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Post by redsturgeon »

kempiejon wrote:I enjoyed House but lost momentum around season 4. It seemed pretty formulaic with the cases so you have to invest in the interpersonal stuff with his students, mate, protégé and boss. I wouldn't countanance Casulty, Call the Midwife etc so wouldn't be surprised if SO didn't take to it. Still must be worth a shot.
Seriously if it has doctors, nurses and patients then she will like it!

John

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Post by DrFfybes »

I too enjoyed the earlier ones of House, but it did tend to lose originality as time went on and I found the self obsession and denial of the lead character less plausible. The difficulty with any of these "super intelligent doctors diagnosing increasingly rare and implausible illnesses" type series is that they tend to run out of novel twists.

Transplant has a slight twist to the medical side, and "This is Going to Hurt" is pretty dark and definitely not being shown at NHS recruitment days..
Then there's Grey's Anatomy - watched the first one of that about 20 years ago.

When I worked at a hospital in Sheffield the nurses used to say there was more drama in one episode of "Casualty" than most of them saw a year in the real A&E.

Basically try it, and see if you like it. We jumped into stuff long afteer it had finished and enjoyed it, "The Good Wife was excellent although again probably went on one series too long.
redsturgeon wrote: Seriously if it has doctors, nurses and patients then she will like it!
Really? - I have a couple of old VHS videos in a shoe box in the shed you can borrow ;)

Paul

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Post by ReformedCharacter »

John
I thought House was great and I watch very little TV. As others have commented, only the first 4 seasons are really good but I'd recommend it for those alone.

RC

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Post by redsturgeon »

Looking at the viewing figures, it seems it peaked at series four and slid down from there. I think I will start the process and see how we get on.

John

PS. FAO Dr F
If you have any costumes to go with those VHS's , I might be interested! :D :D :D

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

DrFfybes wrote: When I worked at a hospital in Sheffield the nurses used to say there was more drama in one episode of "Casualty" than most of them saw a year in the real A&E.
I have a mate who worked in the police and said the same thing about The Bill
I said to him, of course, your normal day job would not make for great TV :lol:

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Post by Gerry557 »

I really enjoyed House MD. It was something a little bit different and maybe House being non pc and sarcastic person made the show more interesting. A bit of a play on the usual American way.

It changed a bit towards the end, probably running short on novelty and rare diseases but there are enough good early episodes to get you hooked. The theme tune is good too.

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

ReformedCharacter wrote:

John
I thought House was great and I watch very little TV. As others have commented, only the first 4 seasons are really good but I'd recommend it for those alone.

RC
I probably stopped paying attention to it about then; up until that point it was a "watch it if I catch it on" that I enjoyed (much like the first one or two CSI things)

It's good fun with decent characters - but pretty soon becomes more of a soap with a special guest disease every week (then so did ER - but that didn't rely on a main character). But it would probably be a decent series to have in reserve for when you've both got a spare hour (surely we must have a word in English for this by now?!)

If we're making suggestions the medical thing that entertained me most recently was The Knick https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2937900/
and I keep meaning to try and rewatch "A Very Peculiar Practice"

-sd

zico
Lemon Quarter

Post by zico »

I'd say House is definitely worth watching if you've never seen it at all. In some ways, it was formulaic, but Hugh Laurie as a rude doctor was always quite good fun.

Saw mention of "A very peculiar practice" in the thread which I thought was massively underrated at the time. Is it possible somehow to see episodes of that now?

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

zico wrote:I'd say House is definitely worth watching if you've never seen it at all. In some ways, it was formulaic, but Hugh Laurie as a rude doctor was always quite good fun.

Saw mention of "A very peculiar practice" in the thread which I thought was massively underrated at the time. Is it possible somehow to see episodes of that now?
The internet is a vast place
https://archive.org/details/a-very-pecu ... m+Home.avi

-sd

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”