Pink Floyd exhibition

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Pink Floyd exhibition

Post by Clitheroekid »

This is a definite for me, and I suspect quite few other Fools would enjoy it as well - https://www.vam.ac.uk/exhibitions/pink-floyd

It's got good reviews, e.g. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/ ... ew-v-and-a

I can't wait! :D

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Pink Floyd exhibition

Post by supremetwo »

I still have some of the original rockets (from the same batch made specially by Brocks) that I supplied to Pink Floyd for all sorts of effects that Health and Safety would never allow today.

Wires would be run from the stage and the rockets attached securely to cradles that slid along the wires above the audience to catcher boxes.

The rockets were made from a poured resin propellant for consistency of power and less risk of exploding than a normal pressed powder rocket.

One of my biggest thrills was pressing the pyro buttons during the 1975 finale set of Echoes at Knebworth and the roars of over 100,000 fans as the music and fireworks combined.

No videos in those days, but I have some stills (somewhere) of the Knebworth setup.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

supremetwo wrote:One of my biggest thrills was pressing the pyro buttons during the 1975 finale set of Echoes at Knebworth and the roars of over 100,000 fans as the music and fireworks combined.

No videos in those days, but I have some stills (somewhere) of the Knebworth setup.
I was there! That was you?

That Spitfire that flew over was pretty cool too. You as well?

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

Clitheroekid wrote:This is a definite for me,
Pah. We don't need no exhibition. ;)

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Knebworth '75

Post by PinkDalek »

supremetwo wrote:I still have some of the original rockets (from the same batch made specially by Brocks) that I supplied to Pink Floyd for all sorts of effects that Health and Safety would never allow today.

Wires would be run from the stage and the rockets attached securely to cradles that slid along the wires above the audience to catcher boxes.

The rockets were made from a poured resin propellant for consistency of power and less risk of exploding than a normal pressed powder rocket.

One of my biggest thrills was pressing the pyro buttons during the 1975 finale set of Echoes at Knebworth and the roars of over 100,000 fans as the music and fireworks combined.

Late to this thread and even later to thank you, Malcolm.

I can't recall much and we got there late, not surprising given the traffic, and parked in a field somewhere or other. I was never a fan of Captain Beefheart nor Roy Harper. It was only Steve Miller who got the show on the road and then, of course, The Floyd. The plane that went down to the stage was on a wire of some sort. Was that down to you as well? Plus a couple overhead. Apparently that might have been the last Floyd performance of Dark Side with Roger Waters.

My complimentary (how come?) advance booking ticket shows £2.75 (inc VAT), which was still a lot in those days but not so overpriced compared to nowadays. The ticket shows Do not tear perforation as this will ... Saturday 5th July ... The Floyd at KneI (shame how the counterfoil disappears).

Seem to remember being up on a hill, near Knebworth House, chatting to a policeman, as you do. He was cool about what was being smoked and told me they were only on the look-out for dealers.

Then the long journey home, happy.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”