The English

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

The English

Post by redsturgeon »

I do like a good western.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... ow-western

Coming up as a 6 parter on BBC2 Thursday...looks good.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: The English

Post by redsturgeon »

OK, after the first episode I'm in.

Intriuging plot, great actors, fantastic cinematographic, dialogue and action.

What's not to like?

(I'm sure someone will tell me.)

John

monabri
Lemon Half

Post by monabri »

Costumes look as though washed with Unilever's finest and make up by L'Oréal.

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

Yes, I'm in too. Usual Western that looks like it could shape up well. Great photography, weird atmosphere and good cast.

Arb.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Post by SalvorHardin »

It's very good. It's a Spaghetti Western with lots of money thrown at it (and it was filmed in Spain).

Episode 1 is very reminiscent of "High Plains Drifter".

It's a shame that the director decided to hide most of the last 10 minutes of episode 1 by filming it in the dark.

When most of your audience has to crank the brightness up to the maximum on their TV just to vaguely make out what's going on, and they end up guessing as to most of what's going on, you've [expletive deleted] up bigtime.

Worst lighting decision since the big battle in the final series of Game of Thrones. Made worse by having the subtitles so bright that they make it even harder to see what's going on.

Episode 2 is brilliant. Filmed in the light

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

Spagetti Western: I notced a hint of "Once upon a Time in the West" in a couple of bars of music - a reference to "Mr Harmonica" - but it could just be conicidence.

Arb.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Post by Gerry557 »

Last episode viewing tonight for me. Ive been impressed so far.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Post by terminal7 »

To wipe out both Ciaran Hinds and Toby Jones in the first 30 mins were shockers*. Overall, great E1 with lots of cinematic 'homages' and those prairie oysters.

Loved it.

T7

* Like E2 of Spooks in the day

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Post by Gerry557 »

terminal7 wrote:To wipe out both Ciaran xxx and xxx in the first 30 mins were shockers*. Overall, great E1 with lots of cinematic 'homages' and those prairie oysters.

Loved it.

T7

* Like E2 of Spooks in the day
No! No! No! Spoiler alerts

Just ruin it for those that haven't seen it why don't you.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Post by terminal7 »

Abject apologies - mea culpa - won't repeat. :oops: :oops: :oops:

The acting in this series puts series like Rings of Power to shame as well as the outstanding cinematography.

T7

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Post by Redmires »

terminal7 wrote: The acting in this series puts series like Rings of Power to shame as well as the outstanding cinematography.
T7
Agreed. I started watching this on BBC Iplayer and I thought 'wow, this looks visually stunning'. I love the use of lens flare for the full cinematic experience. Also, it turns out that this is on UHD/4K on Iplayer (as is SAS Rogue Heroes).

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Post by redsturgeon »

You know the one big thing wrong with this whole show?

Too short.

They really glossed over some parts that could easily have been played over over a longer timeframe with much more building of tension for dramatic effect and the relief of the payoff being so much greater. For example the whole black eyed Mog scenario played out much too quickly IMHO, could easily have been an episode on its own.

I'd say there was enough material and storyline in this to have at least double the running time.

Great in every other way though.

John

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Post by Redmires »

Well, we gave in to temptation and binge watched the remaining episodes on Iplayer. What a fabulous series. No spoilers .... but the performance of the series was by Rafe Spall. Superb !

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Post by terminal7 »

Just finished watching the whole series - certainly one of the tv highlights of 2022 with such fine acting, cinematography etc.

Is it safe to discuss the final episode or am I in danger of Spoiler damnation?

T7

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

I've just watched the last episode, so from my POV it can be discussed!!

I found myself a bit confused at times as the script is sparse and cryptic. However, it did all make sense in the end - and the end was very good. Bitter-sweet. Fantastic cinematography and acting. One of the best things around at this time, although it won;t suit everyone - some will get impatient with the quiet and slow progress it makes towards the climax.

Arb.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Post by terminal7 »

Let's wait until Gerry gives the thumbs up.

T7

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Post by Gerry557 »

terminal7 wrote:Let's wait until Gerry gives the thumbs up.

T7
I don't think it's up to me just that you might spoilt it for others later if they come across this post. I know some sites allow you to hide spoilers that the reader can uncover if and when required.

I've not checked if that's possible on here but I suppose you could put "spoilers ahead" warnings in the title and in the text to give a chance to others to skip if they feel they need too.

I suppose this is mainly a financial subject website so there should be some flex compared to a movie review only site.

Ive seen it now so it won't spoil it for me but it was an excellent watch. Would it loose something if I had known some bits in advance........

I'm not stopping you...... "Luke I am your XXXXXX!"

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Post by redsturgeon »

Moderator Message:
I will open a new thread "The English- Spoilers thread Only read if you have finished the show"

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”