TV viewing

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Re: TV viewing

Post by Arborbridge »

AF62 wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Neither is write or wrong, but it might be an interesting subject to analyse why some people prefer one approach or the other.
For me it was finding less and less I wanted to watch on broadcast tv, and frustrated by the broadcasters not showing what I did want to watch.

A great example is only the first two series of Breaking Bad were broadcast in the UK, and then buried away on Five USA - how many awards has the show won, but no mainstream UK broadcasters were interested. As for the BBC’s treatment of The Wire…

Most of UK broadcast tv drama is ‘cookie cutter’ tv, with the same actors and the same story premise. It takes no risks, and simply isn’t interesting.

I look at the schedule for this evening (sure things have been disrupted by current events) but it is the same dull, same old same old. with nothing to interest.

And when the BBC does have something good, such as the recent second series of Lykkeland / State of Happiness it is buried away on BBC 4 (the channel the BBC wants to turn off) but is available for streaming on the iPlayer at the same time so you might as well watch it there.
Well, I didn't watch any of those shows you mentioned, so I guess I am not the target audience. I'd agree some of the mainstream drama has been lacklustre, and as you say, repetitive, but there's enough - plus some movies - to keep my schedule filled most weeks. I would be interested to explore other things, but I'm not inclined to pay a small fortune to do so.

Incidentally, you mention how some of your series you wanted were "buried" - well for me a similat thing happened with Buffy. Channel 4 bought the right to show it, I'm told, but they went up to Series 4 and then it just stopped. I'm stilll waiting! I believe it's available on one of these tax cheating channels - Disney ?- but there's the problem with commercial channels. Does one have to take on several different subscriptions to get all the things you want. If so, it's no wonder some people can't make ends meet. I have a friend who subscribes to something or other, and he thought £40 a month was cheap!

Arb.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

Arborbridge wrote:Incidentally, you mention how some of your series you wanted were "buried" - well for me a similat thing happened with Buffy. Channel 4 bought the right to show it, I'm told, but they went up to Series 4 and then it just stopped. I'm stilll waiting! I believe it's available on one of these tax cheating channels - Disney ?
It is Disney.

https://www.justwatch.com/uk/tv-series/ ... ire-slayer
Arborbridge wrote: but there's the problem with commercial channels. Does one have to take on several different subscriptions to get all the things you want. If so, it's no wonder some people can't make ends meet. I have a friend who subscribes to something or other, and he thought £40 a month was cheap!
Sign up for £1.99 for the month, binge watch all the remaining episodes and then cancel - https://www.disneyplus.com/en-gb

That’s what a lot of people do, take it a subscription when a new show launches and then cancel when it finishes and move onto another streaming company where they have something new.

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

AF62 wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Incidentally, you mention how some of your series you wanted were "buried" - well for me a similat thing happened with Buffy. Channel 4 bought the right to show it, I'm told, but they went up to Series 4 and then it just stopped. I'm stilll waiting! I believe it's available on one of these tax cheating channels - Disney ?
It is Disney.

https://www.justwatch.com/uk/tv-series/ ... ire-slayer
Arborbridge wrote: but there's the problem with commercial channels. Does one have to take on several different subscriptions to get all the things you want. If so, it's no wonder some people can't make ends meet. I have a friend who subscribes to something or other, and he thought £40 a month was cheap!
Sign up for £1.99 for the month, binge watch all the remaining episodes and then cancel - https://www.disneyplus.com/en-gb

That’s what a lot of people do, take it a subscription when a new show launches and then cancel when it finishes and move onto another streaming company where they have something new.
Thanks for that tip. That's going to be around 3 hours a day (allowing for some days necessarily doing other things) so needs thinking about. Presumably you can't record it either.

Arb.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Post by SalvorHardin »

I use pretty much every way to watch. Live TV for news and sports (Sky, BT Sport, Racing TV, MUTV and Eurosport). I record (and download) everything else on the Sky box for watching when more convenient (e.g. Shetland). There's no need for the iPlayer if you have a Sky box.

I subscribe to five streaming services (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Paramount+ and AcornTV; annual subscriptions where possible). Also quite a few DVDs (at the moment the DVDs being watched are two old series: Hill Street Blues and Band of Brothers, before these it was "Northern Exposure" which ISTR hasn't been on any streaming service because of music rights).

The subscriptions cost me something like £2,200 a year. I'd easily spend that on a holiday and it's well worth it given the combination of my being retired and not having the energy levels and mobility as I used to be (so my holidays tend to be day trips nowadays). If I can't find a show that I want to see on anything that I subscribe to, then I'll get the DVDs as soon as they are released.

AcornTV isn't anything like as well known as the other streamers, but it's the one I watch the most. Acorn has a lot of Australian, Irish and New Zealand dramas, as well as some series of its own. "The Brokenwood Mysteries", New Zealand's Midsomer Murders, is worth the subscription on its own IMHO, though I've already seen the first seven series on the Drama channel via Sky. Acorn also has Australia's "Jack Irish", which is well worth a look; it's about an alcoholic ex-solicitor turned private investigator (mostly debt collecting), apprentice cabinet maker and helper to a wealthy (and a bit dodgy) horse racing fan.

Acorn has several of its own detective series that are in the "cozy mysteries" genre (comedy-drama, amateur detectives, usually late middle aged women, often in a rural setting, such as MC Beaton's "Agatha Raisin"). Acorn has just started showing the South African series "Recipes for Love and Murder" (trailer below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycR1VDYrpME

Jack Irish trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IApMh9sEFi0

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Post by terminal7 »

The Capture - what a load of stare into the distance acting and I love it. Worth watching just for Ron Perlman (Frank da Yank) playing Ron Perlman. And would you ever want to play Lia Williams (DSU Gemma Garland) at poker? And then there is algorithm man together with Newsnight tuff wimmin. Wonderful cast with a wonderful nonsense plot.

I've watched series 1 and now on to series 2. Just watched Episode 5 and on the edge of my seat.

T7 (correction T0)

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

terminal7 wrote:with a wonderful nonsense plot.
T7 (correction T0)
I thought that "correction" and fake reporting was very interesting
maybe I'm easily pleased

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Post by Mike88 »

terminal7 wrote:The Capture - what a load of stare into the distance acting and I love it. Worth watching just for Ron Perlman (Frank da Yank) playing Ron Perlman. And would you ever want to play Lia Williams (DSU Gemma Garland) at poker? And then there is algorithm man together with Newsnight tuff wimmin. Wonderful cast with a wonderful nonsense plot.

I've watched series 1 and now on to series 2. Just watched Episode 5 and on the edge of my seat.

T7 (correction T0)
Series 1 and 2 were excellent but wait until you see the latest series before passing judgement. It baffled me from episode 2 onwards due to its convoluted plot but that's probably my inability to concentrate.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

Mike88 wrote: Series 1 and 2 were excellent but wait until you see the latest series before passing judgement. It baffled me from episode 2 onwards due to its convoluted plot but that's probably my inability to concentrate.
You do need to pay attentions there are a lot of twist
Not aimed at Mike88, but if you are used to playing with your phone, put it down for an hour. :lol:

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Post by terminal7 »

Just saw the last episode of Series 2. - absolutely bananas. It has one of the greatest put down lines I have heard* (see below under spoiler).

Mike - you must be confused - there is no Series 3 - of course unless it has already been corrected.

T7

SPOILER

Frank to Gemma:
You gave me cancer and now you want me to help you.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Post by Mike88 »

terminal7 wrote:Just saw the last episode of Series 2. - absolutely bananas. It has one of the greatest put down lines I have heard* (see below under spoiler).

Mike - you must be confused - there is no Series 3 - of course unless it has already been corrected.

T7
[/quote]

Ha! I thought the latest series was series 3. Well I did say I was unable to concentrate :D

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”