Binge watching a series?

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Binge watching a series?

Post by Clariman »

When I was a young man, my dear father carefully marked up the Radio Times each week, selecting which educational programmes and documentaries the family would watch on the televisual device that sat in the corner of the room (although my mother would secretly put on Crossroads for us both to watch before he returned from work each day, but I digress).

Mrs Clariman and I often enjoy good quality drama programmes and will eagerly await the following week's episode. In this regard, we have been watching the current series of Line of Duty, which has been most entertaining. However, there are occasional references to earlier series, which leaves us somewhat bemused. Our previously hectic social and work calendar meant that we had not had the opportunity to watch series 1 to 3.

Today, I am in receipt of a DVD disc that contains said earlier series in one convenient package. Mrs C and I are now enjoying early retirement and wonder whether it might be appropriate to enter the 21st century and do what the young folk call "binge watching" of the earlier series.

Dear Lemonfool correspondents. I would be most appreciative if any experienced binge watchers could provide some information and handy tips on the subject of "binge watching". Do I need to make any special preparations, should Mrs C prepare a light supper to keep us sustained, what is the etiquette for a binge watch, will Mr & Mrs Jones next door look aghast if we tell them that we have binge watched something, is it socially acceptable in respectable circles?

Yours faithfully
Clariman

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Binge watching a series?

Post by kiloran »

Clariman wrote: (although my mother would secretly put on Crossroads for us both to watch before he returned from work each day, but I digress).

Clariman
That is so, so cruel. My sympathies ;)

--kiloran

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Post by midnightcatprowl »

Remember the potential effect on your health. The light snack(s) should contain healthy nourishing ingredients and between each episode you should at least get up and walk 250 steps up and down your living room/hall or whatever space you have, or do a bit of jogging and stretching on the spot. This will help keep you alive long enough to get through the 'binge'.

N.B. I don't binge watch but I do binge read and the same rules apply ;)

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Post by UncleIan »

Binge watching will show your social circle what hep cats you are. Though your more parsimonious friends may frown a little at the wanton excess, others will pat you on the back for your on trend viewing habits and stamina.

Careful not to miss Countdown in all the excitement though.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Post by redsturgeon »

Close the curtains, snuggle down with corn based snacks and alcohol.

Line of duty is a good first choice before going hardcore with Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones.

Remember the words of Prince though...
In September my cousin tried reefer for the very first time
Now he's doing horse, it's June
Try to remember to take some invigorating cycle rides too!

John

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

redsturgeon wrote:Close the curtains, snuggle down with corn based snacks and alcohol.

Line of duty is a good first choice before going hardcore with Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones.
Or all 204 episodes of 24. Though it's probably getting a little dated now...

Scott.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Post by Clariman »

UncleIan wrote:Careful not to miss Countdown in all the excitement though.
When working from home, I did sometimes pop down to make myself a coffee around about Countdown time and watch a few of the word games, so fair point. However, the big disappointment of early retirement is having Mrs C not wanting to watch Bargain Hunt at lunchtime. That had been a real favourite when having lunch on working-at-home days.

Clariman

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Post by Clariman »

redsturgeon wrote:Try to remember to take some invigorating cycle rides too!
John
Car choice made. Next purchase is bike. Hopefully a few years before I need to move to mobility scooter ;)

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

A few years back I binge-watched Yes, [prime] minister on youtube.

You could make a real project of something old enough. How far back could you go with The Archers, for instance?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Post by AleisterCrowley »

Having sorted myself out with a Fire tablet, i'm currently binge-watching Seinfeld.
Up to season 4 now- it takes the first season to 'get into it' then it becomes a horrible addiction

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”