Rivers - Jeremy Paxman

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Rivers - Jeremy Paxman

Post by Clitheroekid »

Did anyone see the first episode of the new `Rivers' series on Channel 4? http://www.channel4.com/programmes/rive ... ode-guide/

It was about the Tweed, and as a keen fisherman myself I watched in the hope of seeing him battling a mighty salmon (spoiler alert - he didn't, mighty or otherwise).

But I have to say I found it all rather insipid. It was watchable, but I felt he'd finally been put out to grass to churn out the Sunday evening TV equivalent of rich tea biscuits and a cup of cocoa.

In fact I was trying to think what it reminded me of and I realised the presentation was almost identical to Michael Portillo's Great Railway Journeys series. A bit of history, a couple of interviews with local `characters', plenty of pretty scenery and a good-natured, mildly ironical commentary in a pleasantly civilised voice - Portillo and Paxo were virtually interchangeable.

One difference that did raise my blood pressure was that because Paxo is archetypally BBC I'd forgotten it was on C4 so suffered some mental distress and confusion when I heard the dread words "Coming up ..." just before it stopped for adverts. I don't recall programmes on commercial TV in the past having this bloody infuriating feature, nor the ridiculous one minute summary of `the story so far' immediately after the ads. If you've been watching the damn programme why do you need telling what's happened? Surely our attention spans haven't yet declined to that level? And if you haven't, why would anyone switch a programme on half way through?

It was (apart from the ads) all perfectly pleasant, but I did find it mildly depressing that someone with Paxo's journalistic credentials should end up doing what could well have been an extended advert for the Borders Tourist Board.

Perhaps he needs the money to keep his new flame happy! ;)

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Re: Rivers - Jeremy Paxman

Post by UncleIan »

I did, yes. See also Coast, and Countryfile. It was very Sunday Night Telly. Nothing to frighten the horses.

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Post by todthedog »

Lovely countryside, and Paxman inoffensive. Don't know the area myself looks wonderful.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Post by bungeejumper »

UncleIan wrote:I did, yes. See also Coast, and Countryfile. It was very Sunday Night Telly. Nothing to frighten the horses.
LOL, you're not wrong. And currently we've got Tony Robinson doing the coast to coast walk (Cumbria to Robin Hood's Bay), and that bloke who looks and sounds like Fergal Keane (but isn't) just finishing his trip around Ireland's coastal wildlife.

And the thing is, it's all brilliantly done. Superbly filmed, rather predictably scripted, and maybe just a bit too much of the presenter in the village toffee factory for comfort, but I can't think of any other nation that does this kind of thing so well. (Australia, just possibly?) I can watch repeats of this kind of thing any time there's nothing else on the box except football or Embarrassing Bodies, which seems to happen all too often if you're not a TV drama fan. (I'm not.)

Paxman in kinder, gentler mode? Yeah, it's a bit weird, and he isn't a natural for this kind of thing. I liked his take on the Thames, though, and I'll be watching the Severn feature any time soon. (http://www.channel4.com/programmes/rive ... /64257-002)

BJ

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”