T2 Trainspotting

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
UncleIan
Lemon Slice

T2 Trainspotting

Post by UncleIan »

Executive summary: If you liked the first one, you'll like this.

Basically a gang reunion after 20 years. Much less drug taking than the original. Not sure if it was just an exercise in nostalgia or not, but there's little flashbacks to the original film spread throughout, and some of the scenes were clearly shot to be a little nod to scenes from the first film. It was good that the storyline wasn't them trying to relive their youth. I think you would probably have had to have seen the first one to get the most out of this. Most of the audience appeared to be in their 40s and 50s, maybe young 'uns do something more interesting on a Saturday night, like getting pished and taking drugs.

So not just an exercise in nostalgia, but also a reflection on the passing of time too, mortality, how life ticks by, and then BLAM! 20 years has passed. I mean, what else can you think when you see a smiling fresh faced Ewan McGregor youth writ large across the screen, and fading back to the same face, distinctly craggier now? Try not to cry over your lost youthfulness Ian that's never coming back, try not to cry.

A good soundtrack too.

I liked the first one, I liked this one. 8/10

Ian

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: T2 Trainspotting

Post by redsturgeon »

I would echo everything Ian says about T2.

I saw T1 once twenty years ago so can't honestly remember too much beyond a couple of the more "memorable" scenes so I think this one to some extent stands on its own, although potentially would be best with a knowledge of the former film.

Still not for the faint hearted with some quite raunchy sexual references and the "c" bomb thrown around liberally so definitely not a family film and probably not one to take your granny to.

I left granny and the kids and home and I loved it!

John

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”