King Lear

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
77ss
Lemon Quarter

King Lear

Post by 77ss »

Went to see this yesterday at London's Old Vic.

Glenda Jackson was outstanding in the title role. Possibly the best I have seen. Imaginative casting.

On until the 2nd Dec.

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Re: King Lear

Post by MonsterMork »

Glad it's going well, I have tickets for the last night of the run :D

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Post by MaraMan »

I have not seen this production but note that reviews have been mixed. I am though a great fan of Lear and have seen several great productions not least Anthony Sher at the RSC in recent months. I note that the BBC is airing an adapted version of this production on Radio 4 at 2.15pm on Boxing Day.

MM

MonsterMork
Lemon Slice

Post by MonsterMork »

Was there last night, and I have to say what a cracker 8-)

MM

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Post by 77ss »

MonsterMork wrote:Was there last night, and I have to say what a cracker 8-)

MM
Glad you enjoyed it.

Since my original post, I have also seen the Anthony Sher/RSC production at the Barbican.

Talk about London buses!

Very good, as one would expect, but for me (and others, judging by the audience responses) the Old Vic's version was a comfortable winner. Seeing the play twice in short order was very interesting and enabled a sensible comparison.

Different interpretations of Lear with Sher doing the Kingly Wrath stuff very well, but I found Jackson's venomous approach more convincing. In the final scene where Lear is cradling the dead Cordelia, Sher did not really touch me, but Jackson actually bought tears to my eyes - an exceptionally rare event!

Of the other parts, I thought Lear's daughters were more interestingly portrayed at the Old Vic. The older ones being more blatantly sensual in their competition for Edmund and Cordelia being far stronger than in the RSC production.

Don't let this put anyone off going to the Barbican (on until the 23rd) - the production was thoroughly enjoyable - I just thought the Old Vic one better.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”