CGT Query

Practical Issues
XFool
The full Lemon

CGT Query

Post by XFool »

In the case of a company takeover, the registrar's voucher with the payment cheque is dated 13 April 2022 but contains a field "Scheme effective date" - being the date the company takeover was deemed effective - dated 1 April 2022.

If reporting for CGT, which is the relevant reporting date?

TIA

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Re: CGT Query

Post by scrumpyjack »

XFool wrote:In the case of a company takeover, the registrar's voucher with the payment cheque is dated 13 April 2022 but contains a field "Scheme effective date" - being the date the company takeover was deemed effective - dated 1 April 2022.

If reporting for CGT, which is the relevant reporting date?

TIA
I would say it is the scheme effective date, not the cheque date. Just as when you sell shares the disposal date is the deal date not the settlement date.

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

...Thanks scrumpyjack.

Unfortunately: Another one.

I bought a company share inside an ISA. Several complicated corporate events and a (successful) legal case later, it was delisted and my broker took the remaining small rump of shares out of the ISA and put them in my existing non-ISA account. These shares were later redeemed.

For purposes of CGT calculation, how do I go about working out the "cost" of these shares?

TIA

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

XFool wrote:...Thanks scrumpyjack.

Unfortunately: Another one.

I bought a company share inside an ISA. Several complicated corporate events and a (successful) legal case later, it was delisted and my broker took the remaining small rump of shares out of the ISA and put them in my existing non-ISA account. These shares were later redeemed.

For purposes of CGT calculation, how do I go about working out the "cost" of these shares?
The cost basis would be the market value at the time of the transfer out.

I would be pretty annoyed if my ISA provider transferred out any holding like that, as that value is then no longer tax-sheltered. For that reason I have always sold as soon as there is a whiff of a delisting, which has happened twice to me, both with AIM shares.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”