HMRC Tax Calculation Delay

Practical Issues
EviesDad

HMRC Tax Calculation Delay

Post by EviesDad »

I submitted a paper self assesment return back in April but still haven't received a tax calculation and I was wondering if others were experiencing a similar delay?
Following an online chat with HMRC today they have confirmed that my return still hasn't been processed and that the current timescale is a further 12 weeks which will take me in to January 23. Not sure if they are obliged to get a calculation to me by the payment deadline of 31st Jan or what happens if they don't?

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: HMRC Tax Calculation Delay

Post by swill453 »

It's a shambles at the moment. My wife submitted an online P55 form (current year tax reclaim) in April and got her refund in 4 weeks. I submitted mine on 1st June, and it still hasn't been processed.

The first 2 calls to them gave me promises it would be dealt with immediately. The latest call I made just gave me an apology and said they're no longer giving estimates of when things will be processed.

I can either wait or submit a complaint, which seems a bit futile.

Scott.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Slice

Post by mutantpoodle »

agree a shambles
I posted 2 paper returns in same envelope in April

I received one agreed back at end of July
no sign of the other yet

I rang and after 47 minutes got through and was told 'receipt' noted
but not yet dealt with

agree it will be interesting to see what they do re no payments by end January as entirely down to them

expect it to be ...'covid'...WFH issues'....lack of resources...............usual excuses that only work in one direction

EviesDad

Post by EviesDad »

I agree that it's an absolute shambles. I have been fairly relaxed about it so far as I will owe them a fair chunk of money, just hoping I don't end up receiving an incorrect calculation at the eleventh hour leaving me no time to contest it before the payment deadline.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”