time to ring HMRC ???

Practical Issues
mutantpoodle
Lemon Slice

time to ring HMRC ???

Post by mutantpoodle »

not sure if here or DAK but.......

what is the best time or time of day to ring HMRC re personal tax return
and with luck speak to someone as opposed to getting the usual promise of a call back ''sometime in next few days''

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: time to ring HMRC ???

Post by swill453 »

I can't say definitively, but I called with respect to a tax refund on a Monday at 12.30 and had to wait 30+ minutes for a human, then on a Tuesday at 9.15am last week and was put through within a minute.

Scott.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Slice

Post by mutantpoodle »

thanks Scott

we seeking to get one of their mistakes corrected, so am assuming that whoever answers the phone will want to refer us!!
as opposed to making a decision

fortunately we have mobile phones so can wait on a 'hands free' basis

fingers crossed!!!

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Post by bluedonkey »

IME best to ring just after 8am if you value your time!

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

mutantpoodle wrote:as opposed to getting the usual promise of a call back ''sometime in next few days''
If you are getting that every time, are you sure your records are not held with Public Department 1 (PD1) which the ordinary central teams don’t have access to?

PD1 is used for ‘sensitive’ cases including military, HMRC employees themselves, certain other civil servants, MPs, celebrities, Royals, and various other groups, so a wide variety of people can be caught without knowing.

The usual response from central if the record is held by PD1 is to tell you that you will get a call back and to refer the enquiry to them, but PD1 do have a direct number which central should provide if your records are with them and you ask for it.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Slice

Post by mutantpoodle »

thanks AF62
as far as I know i am just an ordinary Joe, and I have no cause to think I might be in any special department

my dad was investigated 25 years ago following a major cock up by his accountant
all was resolved and full explanation given/accepted

but that aside I cannot see why I would be considered worthy of attention

we got through yesterday in 10 minutes..........but didnt like the views expressed so will ring again and hope for different results

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

mutantpoodle wrote:we got through yesterday in 10 minutes..........but didnt like the views expressed so will ring again and hope for different results
Be careful - in order to counter repeat 'opinion shopper' callers they note the basic elements of any telephone enquiries and their response on your record.

If it is a complex matter where you have a concern that the first line call operators might not be able to deal with the matter, then an old fashioned written letter instead of a call is a far better approach.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Slice

Post by mutantpoodle »

yes i understand that
but we consider its a mistake by them...well whoever enters online tax reurn calculations
and will simply be asking for a double check

after that we will have to write, but apparently that takes 2-3 months for them to actually read any letters.....so hoping to avoid

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”