State Pension P60

Practical Issues
bruncher
Lemon Slice

State Pension P60

Post by bruncher »

Is there anyone who can tell me whether people in receipt of state pension are automatically sent a P60 as for private pensions?

Thanks!
Last edited by csearle on September 16th, 2022, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo in subject line corrected.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: State Pension P60

Post by mc2fool »

bruncher wrote:Is there anyone who can tell me whether people in receipt of state pension are automatically sent a P60 as for private pensions?
Yes, I can tell you. :D

You do not get a P60 for the state pension, automatically or at all.

bruncher
Lemon Slice

Post by bruncher »

mc2fool wrote:
bruncher wrote:Is there anyone who can tell me whether people in receipt of state pension are automatically sent a P60 as for private pensions?
Yes, I can tell you. :D

Thanks, hopefully my accountant doesn't want one.

When I do an online search this shows up:
How to view your P60 on My Pension Online
If you are receiving your pension you can view your P60s online, to do this you will need to sign in to
your My Pension Online account. If you do not have an account, please see our My Pension Online
User guide.
https://www.yourpensionservice.org.uk/m ... ur-p60.pdf
I don't know if this is a private 'service', or a contracted out part of HMG, or a scam.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Post by mc2fool »

bruncher wrote:
mc2fool wrote: Yes, I can tell you. :D

Thanks, hopefully my accountant doesn't want one.

When I do an online search this shows up:
How to view your P60 on My Pension Online
If you are receiving your pension you can view your P60s online, to do this you will need to sign in to
your My Pension Online account. If you do not have an account, please see our My Pension Online
User guide.
https://www.yourpensionservice.org.uk/m ... ur-p60.pdf
I don't know if this is a private 'service', or a contracted out part of HMG, or a scam.
None of the above. If you look at that PDF you'll see it mentions "Scheme Membership" so it's clearly about a non-state pension, and if you look at https://www.yourpensionservice.org.uk you'll soon figure out it's about local government pensions.

Here's another online search result: ;)

⚠️ Note: you do not get a form P60 after the end of each tax year for your state pension, so you must keep your own records of your state pension income.

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/pen ... retirement

However, that's a bit of an overkill if you do self assessment (or your accountant does it for you) 'cos online it tells you how much state pension you earned in the last tax year when you get to fill in that part of the form. (It does ask you if you want to dispute that and supply your own figure...)

Edit: oh, I forgot the twist: the amount declared is the amount you "earned" during the tax year, not the amount you received... :D

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Post by richfool »

I get a P60 on my private occupational pension, but not on my state pension.

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

mc2fool wrote:However, that's a bit of an overkill if you do self assessment (or your accountant does it for you) 'cos online it tells you how much state pension you earned in the last tax year when you get to fill in that part of the form. (It does ask you if you want to dispute that and supply your own figure...)

Edit: oh, I forgot the twist: the amount declared is the amount you "earned" during the tax year, not the amount you received... :D
Oh Gawd! Don't remind me. :(

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”