Foreign Dividends in ISA

Practical Issues
bruncher
Lemon Slice

Foreign Dividends in ISA

Post by bruncher »

I've had a 27% tax applied to a dividend from a Danish Company. There's a treaty between Denmark and UK, but does this mean I could claim the tax back as a non-resident. I have avoided double taxation only because the UK waives tax on dividends within ISA's.

I will see if I can ask the Danish Tax Office tomorrow, but if anyone has already trodden this path, I would be grateful to hear about it.

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Foreign Dividends in ISA

Post by XFool »

...Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question. Hopefully someone else may.

Just two things: This is fine for US dividends, at least their witholding tax is reduced from 30% to 15% if you can sign a US, IRS W8-BEN form. In or out of an ISA is of no relevance to the IRS.

This matter came up a long time ago in respect of Spanish dividend witholding tax, on Santander shares. The answer was, yes, you should be able to get them to reduce it but, good luck with that! i.e. It was more trouble than it was worth - unless, I believe, your Santander shares were held in Santander's own nominee account.

It is supposed to be different in pension accounts, like a SIPP, with no witholding taxes charged. But again, that's the theory...

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Re: Foreign Dividends in ISA

Post by BullDog »

Ask the platform provider? As far as I am aware, no foreign tax authority recognises UK ISAs as a tax shelter.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”