Treasury delays its programme to digitise the tax system for two more years

Practical Issues
yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Post by yorkshirelad1 »

Times 15 Dec 2022
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/trea ... -8nv092sw6 (paywall)

The biggest changes to personal taxation in a quarter of a century are to be postponed for a further two years because the computer systems are not ready, triggering concerns that the government is set for another costly public sector IT disaster. The Treasury is to postpone its programme to digitise the tax system — which would have forced 4.2 million self-employed workers and small businesses to file tax returns multiple times a year — from April 2024 until 2026.

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Re: Treasury delays its programme to digitise the tax system for two more years

Post by 88V8 »

yorkshirelad1 wrote:Treasury delays its programme to digitise the tax system for two more years...would have forced 4.2 million self-employed workers and small businesses to file tax returns multiple times a year..
Maybe it's being designed by self-employed workers, engaging in a bit of well-paid sabotage.

How long before dividends go PAYE.... once allowances are wiped out, manual collection will become ridiculously expensive.

V8

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Post by bluedonkey »

Accountants have known that the plans were absurd for ages. It just takes a lot longer for HMRC to admit it.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Post by scrumpyjack »

Well you still cannot enter all pages of the self assessment tax return on the HMRC website - quite incredible. So if you are a vicar you have to send a paper return in or buy commercial software like TaxCalc. Quite amazing incompetence!

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Post by Bouleversee »

And they still have not managed to set extra security questions that would enable me to file my return online, not having a valid UK passport or a N. Ireland driving licence or any debts. Nor am I allowed to do a paper return but have to write to them and tell them about disposals of and dividends from certificated shares and anything else they are not notified of directly. They will then calculate what tax is due and let you know in due course. I can't think that saves them any time; it certainly doesn't save me any and it delays tax getting paid to them. I feel pretty sure that many will have taken literally the letter saying they didn't have to submit a tax return any more and explains why so much tax is never collected. Filing online was so much quicker and easier and didn't have to be calculated by an individual. Must get my letter off in the morning.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Post by JohnB »

They withdrew electronic filing from Mum. In the 3 years since they've cocked up the paper returns twice, once in our favour, and this year badly against, and a complaint is in progress. HMRC are second on my list of incompetent fools. EDF are first

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Post by Bouleversee »

JohnB wrote:They withdrew electronic filing from Mum. In the 3 years since they've cocked up the paper returns twice, once in our favour, and this year badly against, and a complaint is in progress. HMRC are second on my list of incompetent fools. EDF are first
They seem to have cocked up my tax calculation after I sent in the letter with the figures I was told was all I needed to supply.. I'm in the same boat as your Mum. It's quite hard to find any organisation that is competent these days,

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”