Gift Aid frustration

Practical Issues
HerbertViola

Gift Aid frustration

Post by HerbertViola »

I went into income tax-paying territory unexpectedly toward the end of last tax year. I can use the Gift Aid carry back facility to soak up some of the tax on donations made prior to submitting my Tax Return. I don't expect to be paying income tax this current year.

Every large charity generally seems to offer two options when making a donation: I can either decline to make any GIft Aid declaration at all, or I can make a persistent Gift Aid declaration which is also to be applied to any donations I've made over the past four years.

In my position, it's impossible, or a least risky and administratively burdensome, to make such a declaration.

Why do charities prefer to forego the Gift Aid uplift in such cases, rather than give the simple third option of a one-off declaration for a one-off donation?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Gift Aid frustration

Post by mc2fool »

Dunno, but here you go: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... e-donation

I'm sure you can also contact any charity and tell them that specific donations you made in the past should be Gift Aided but not others.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Gift Aid frustration

Post by Dod101 »

You can make a gift aid declaration for a one off single donation of course. Charities like to make it an ongoing one but you do not have to accept that. Many people for instance will give a monthly donation to say their church or the Salvation Army or the local donkey sanctuary so it is administratively easier to sign a continuing gift aid declaration. But just get in touch with them and ask (or tell them!) They are mostly well geared up for that sort of thing.

Dod

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”