HMRC Tax calculation is wrong

Practical Issues
smokey01
Lemon Pip

HMRC Tax calculation is wrong

Post by smokey01 »

Hi,

HMRC have just sent me my tax calculation and they say they owe me approximately £600, that’s the good news. However they think I have had £1500 more interest than I actually have had so I intend to write to them with the details of what accounts and interest I did receive in the 21/22 tax year.

My question is do you think it would be ok to request the £600 to be refunded now while I am in contact with them about the interest discrepancy or if I do that is it like I am accepting they got the calculation correct so they won’t review it?

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: HMRC Tax calculation is wrong

Post by pje16 »

They tend to estimate the interest based on a prior year
They overdid mine last March and changed my notice of coding, I rang them
She was very friendly and helpful and called out bank by bank what they had, I told her what it should be, and they adjusted it
They want to get it right and a call is much easier to get a result with than sending letters back and forth.
At the same time ask them about the £600

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Post by JohnB »

I'd never mix 2 transactions with an organisation. Get the correct tax statement before asking for refunds.

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

JohnB wrote:I'd never mix 2 transactions with an organisation. Get the correct tax statement before asking for refunds.
Hah!

That sounds like good advice, IMO.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Post by Gerry557 »

I'm not sure what the correct way would be. I was given a tax bill to pay once that I thought was incorrect. It took a couple of years to resolve.

I wanted the details of how they came to the figure that they came too. Fortunately I had a good idea of what it should have been.

It was quite embarrassing pointing out all the errors to the multitude of different people involved. Sometimes it was just basic arithmetic they got wrong, figures literally not adding up. Other times it was getting the number of months in a year incorrect.

They also got basic assumptions wrong, stating it was from the information I provided but then couldn't identify how the figures they used matched the information I did provide. Over time the figures reduced and kept reducing but the errors didn't

The good news for me was that the bill went from 4 figures to less than the price of a second class stamp but when I said I would sort it on the next bill I was informed that it would incur a £100 late payment charge. So I sent them a cheque for all 19p and claimed the cost back the following year.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”