How to obtain dividend vouchers for nominee account (Irish Tax refund)

Practical Issues
dingdong

How to obtain dividend vouchers for nominee account (Irish Tax refund)

Post by dingdong »

Hello

I am attempting to navigate the confusing process to reclaim witholding tax from the Irish Tax Office for dividends paid out on shares listed there (I pay 20% Irish Tax but can only reclaim 15% on my UK tax returns through the double tax treaty).

I have had the Irish non-resident form stamped by HMRC (which took 9 months to be returned).

Unfortunately HSBC are refusing to remove the withholding tax for me, despite being listed on the Irish Tax office website as a qualifying intermediary, as they say all accounts and held as nominee accounts so they can't segregate customers out.

I'm therefore aiming to claim repayments from the Irish tax office myself. However one of the items I need to provide are "original dividend vouchers" showing ownership and the amount of the dividend. How would you ever receive such a thing when using a typical nominee sharedealing account? I don't have anything that shows individual dividends - the closest thing I might have is the annual tax statement.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: How to obtain dividend vouchers for nominee account (Irish Tax refund)

Post by Alaric »

dingdong wrote:. How would you ever receive such a thing when using a typical nominee sharedealing account? I don't have anything that shows individual dividends - the closest thing I might have is the annual tax statement.
The UK tax authorities would regard the annual statement issued by Brokers as sufficient evidence. Would the Irish tax authorities do the same? If not your only solution may be to dematerialise or find another Broker.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”