Emergency siren to all mobile phones on St George's Day?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Emergency siren to all mobile phones on St George's Day?

Post by stevensfo »

servodude wrote:
BobbyD wrote:
...or if they had any sense because mass spamming a contained space with limited exit opportunities and a history of crushing deaths containing 40,000-50,000 people with loud warning alarms might be a bad idea.

I mean they don't, but that's why I would avoid a test run during a major stadium event.
Isn't this just like the country's biggest fire drill though?
No matter when you do it, there's going to be a dangerous bottleneck somewhere IF there's enough folk involved that don't know it's happening.

Mike's suggestion reminded me of that thing I'd read about the English being taken over by the Romans because they concentrated attacks at weekends and during breaks taken to drink hot water
Yes, it was 'Asterix in Britain'. The Romans find that the Britons are fierce warriors but discover that they stop fighting at weekends and every day at 4pm to drink hot water. Asterix comes to help the Britons fight the Romans but loses the herbs for the magic potion, so uses some strange herbs from a far off land (tea). The rest is history. 8-)

Steve

CliffEdge
Lemon Slice

Post by CliffEdge »

What is the purpose of this siren thing this afternoon?

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

stevensfo wrote:
servodude wrote:
No matter when you do it, there's going to be a dangerous bottleneck somewhere IF there's enough folk involved that don't know it's happening.

Mike's suggestion reminded me of that thing I'd read about the English being taken over by the Romans because they concentrated attacks at weekends and during breaks taken to drink hot water
Yes, it was 'Asterix in Britain'. The Romans find that the Britons are fierce warriors but discover that they stop fighting at weekends and every day at 4pm to drink hot water. Asterix comes to help the Britons fight the Romans but loses the herbs for the magic potion, so uses some strange herbs from a far off land (tea). The rest is history. 8-)

Steve
Thanks I was worried I'd read it in something fictional ;)

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

CliffEdge wrote:What is the purpose of this siren thing this afternoon?
To provide convenient material for journalists to fill their columns with endless fussifications?

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Post by 88V8 »

XFool wrote:... fussifications
A new word is born.
You read it first here.

V8

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Post by tjh290633 »

stevensfo wrote:
servodude wrote:

Steve
It used to be accepted that, were the Russians to attack, they would do so Wednesday afternoon, when the Air Defence of Great Britain had its sport afternoon. As I recall just one squadron of interceptors were on call to combat any threat. Fortunately the early warning systems remained active, as did the GCI stations.

TJH

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

XFool wrote:
CliffEdge wrote:What is the purpose of this siren thing this afternoon?
To provide convenient material for journalists to fill their columns with endless fussifications?
AFAICS, the subject has pretty well sustained the entire day's broadcast output of LBC.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

No siren noise on my phone at 3.02pm just a message (and before anyone asks, sound was on full volume)

SebsCat
Lemon Pip

Post by SebsCat »

A relatively subdued beeping on my phone. Knowing it was just a test, I immediately pressed the OK (or whatever it was) button and then realised there was no easy way to see what the actual message was once it had been dismissed - pretty important in a real emergency! I found a "emergency alert history" option in the emergency alert section of the settings (Android 13) which contains the message. So in that sense the test has been of some use to me & if it happens for real I'll know where to find the message if I need to see it again.

JonE
Lemon Slice

Post by JonE »

2:59pm BST

iPhone 8 iOS=16.3 with EU SIM roaming on EE. No alarm
iPhone 5s iOS=12.5.7 with 3 SIM. No alarm (as reported re. 3 elsewhere)
Android 9 in dual-SIM (dual IMEI) phone showed 1 alarm (no history available):
SIM1=mvno on EE/Now. The one audible/readable alarm probably arrived via this.
SIM2=EU SIM roaming on Voda. No alarm

No history available on any phone. All SIMs PAYG. All phones connected to domestic wi-fi. I guess the positive spin on this is that it shows the value of conducting tests - there are take-away 'learnings' (why has this uncomfortable word become so favoured, I wonder).

Cheers!

Ma1co1m

Post by Ma1co1m »

From https://www.gov.uk/alerts/how-alerts-wo ... le-devices:

Emergency alerts work on:

iPhones running iOS 14.5 or later
Android phones and tablets running Android 11 or later
If you have an earlier version of Android, you may still be able to receive alerts. To check, search your device settings for ‘emergency alerts’.

Since Android 11 was only released in September 2020 That means that anyone with a Android phone older that about 2 years isn't going to get the alert
so no wonder I didn't ! iOS 14.5 was apparently released in April 2021, so that phone need to be even newer. What a brilliant system....

ma1co1m

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

Ma1co1m wrote:From https://www.gov.uk/alerts/how-alerts-wo ... le-devices:

If you have an earlier version of Android, you may still be able to receive alerts. To check, search your device settings for ‘emergency alerts’.

Since Android 11 was only released in September 2020 That means that anyone with a Android phone older that about 2 years isn't going to get the alert
so no wonder I didn't ! iOS 14.5 was apparently released in April 2021, so that phone need to be even newer. What a brilliant system....
Not quite.

All iPhones back to the 6s that was released in 2015 will accept (and prompt) to be updated to IOS 15, so perfectly reasonable for the system to work on eight year old phones.

However as for phones getting updates to Android 11 - well I will let others comment on whether Android phones made in 2015 got updates to that, but I can guess the answer…

BT63
Lemon Slice

Post by BT63 »

I didn't receive anything on my phone :cry:
(Google Pixel 6a, Android 13, Three mobile network, 4G signal available at the time).

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

BT63 wrote:I didn't receive anything on my phone :cry:
(Google Pixel 6a, Android 13, Three mobile network, 4G signal available at the time).
it didn't work for the three network
16:56
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-65330397

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Post by AsleepInYorkshire »

James May has raised a very important point, albeit was before the alarm was due to be sounded.

What happens if there's a real emergency at 3pm?

AiY(D)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

Ma1co1m wrote:From https://www.gov.uk/alerts/how-alerts-wo ... le-devices:

ma1co1m
You should get an old Iphone. Mine is an Iphone 7, works well and I got the signal. On a practical level, what are you then supposed to do? Panic? And then take a look to see what the emergency might be?

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:James May has raised a very important point, albeit was before the alarm was due to be sounded.

What happens if there's a real emergency at 3pm?

AiY(D)
Just do what you would do if there were no signal.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

I do not understand why those who did not receive a signal call it a 'cock up'. The whole idea was to find problems since they have never done this before and then try to iron them out.

Dod

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

...Headline in The Telegraph:

Emergency Alert test descends into chaos as it fails to work on up to 10 million phones

The Telegraph

;)

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”