Is this true? - I think "too many" human beings enjoy "drama"

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Is this true? - I think "too many" human beings enjoy "drama"

Post by AsleepInYorkshire »

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes".

Do some human's enjoy negativity? I suspect they do. How many? Sometimes I feel more than I can cope with. Is it just me. Should I buy a pair of rose tinted glasses?

AiY(D)

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Is this true? - I think "too many" human beings enjoy "drama"

Post by pje16 »

I am always happy, nearly all the time, negativity makes "your" world and others miserable
life is too short :D

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

pje16 wrote:I am always happy, nearly all the time, negativity makes "your" world and others miserable
life is too short :D
Bah, humbug.

Drama? Yes, I enjoy the theatre.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Post by redsturgeon »

The human brain is hard wired by evolution to pay attention to things that could cause you harm.

John

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

redsturgeon wrote:The human brain is hard wired by evolution to pay attention to things that could cause you harm.

John

There's more up there than you might imagine :D

https://www.healthline.com/health/12-cranial-nerves
and that's just for your head, neck, and trunk

Sad I know, but I have a medical interest at the moment :o

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Post by Gerry557 »

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes".

Do some human's enjoy negativity? I suspect they do. How many? Sometimes I feel more than I can cope with. Is it just me. Should I buy a pair of rose tinted glasses?

AiY(D)
I think a lot of people like the social media attention. They post cyptic messages so all their "friends" enquire.

It's sad really.

Make the best of whatever happens.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Post by bungeejumper »

I've had a wonderful day. I have a wonderful wife, and a lovely home, and kids I can be proud of, and a granddaughter who's all of that and then some more. I've got enough money (well, nearly), and life has got better and better since I was cured of cancer five years ago.

But none of that will ever make the papers or the gossip columns, and I'll be a guaranteed prize bore at parties if I go on about it too much. :|

On the other hand, if my conversation were to centre on my lurid battles with my brother, and why my uncaring dad doesn't want me to attend his stupid coronation, and the wretched state of my south pole, and why Oprah doesn't invite me to her parties any more, I'd have your attention in moments. (Relax, it doesn't.)

Some of us are listeners, and some of us are broadcasters. The broadcasters know that you wouldn't give them a single second of your time unless they injected a bit of soap-opera drama. Or, ideally, a lot.

BJ

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Post by Gerry557 »

bungeejumper wrote:I've had a wonderful day. I have a wonderful wife, and a lovely home, and kids I can be proud of, and a granddaughter who's all of that and then some more. I've got enough money (well, nearly), and life has got better and better since I was cured of cancer five years ago.

But none of that will ever make the papers or the gossip columns, and I'll be a guaranteed prize bore at parties if I go on about it too much. :|

On the other hand, if my conversation were to centre on my lurid battles with my brother, and why my uncaring dad doesn't want me to attend his stupid coronation, and the wretched state of my south pole, and why Oprah doesn't invite me to her parties any more, I'd have your attention in moments. (Relax, it doesn't.)

Some of us are listeners, and some of us are broadcasters. The broadcasters know that you wouldn't give them a single second of your time unless they injected a bit of soap-opera drama. Or, ideally, a lot.

BJ
This has made my day already, so glad I read it. Please do another one for tomorrow

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes".

AiY(D)
I'm disappointed D
This ain't your usual up-beat life affirming output!

But away - who says lies have to be negative?
Plenty of Muppets have been sold a dummy promise over the course of history (can't think of any examples though ;) )

-sd
(Slightly tickled because promise was autocorrected to petunias on first pass :) )

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Post by Leothebear »

I find it hard to believe that a state of perpetual happiness is possible. It'd be the norm. Surely happiness has to contrast with your normal state to be enjoyable?

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Post by doug2500 »

I firmly believe it's a choice, but most people don't realise or think about it - they just react.

You can't control what happens but you can control how you react, you have options.

You can choose to let negative things go, to not focus on them. You can choose to seek out positives and you can choose to be happy. You can have a crap morning and choose to enjoy the rest of your day, or you can choose to dwell on it, tell everyone about it and wallow in misery.

It's undoubtably much harder with big things like a bereavement for example, but even then you can try to focus on the joy of life rather than loss. It won't always work but it's better than giving in.

I also think the more you practice the easier it gets, like most things.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

Leothebear wrote:I find it hard to believe that a state of perpetual happiness is possible. It'd be the norm. Surely happiness has to contrast with your normal state to be enjoyable?
I don't go round grinning all the time
but I am very rarely unhappy.
I see what you mean though

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”