Not a Brazilian.

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
88V8
Lemon Quarter

Not a Brazilian.

Post by 88V8 »

Especially not the tonsurial treatment dubbed a Brazilian.... over 100 years ago my paternal grandmother married a Brazilian, so I had always assumed I was a quarter Brazilian.

Today, courtesy of my brother googling her full name and unearthing an old Portuguese Court document, I find my father was the result of an affair with a Scottish gentleman.

So, on Burns night, I discover that I am a quarter Scottish.

And I have an excuse for my failure to learn more than a few words of Portuguese.

V8

mark88man
2 Lemon pips

Re: Not a Brazilian.

Post by mark88man »

A quarter Scottish is surely better than none - although I would rue the loss of Brazilian-ness, especially in the World Cup years

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Post by DrFfybes »

MrsF is heavily into Family History - she had a look at ours but Dad lost interest when he found we used to live in Dudley and his Grandad probably sounded like Lenny henry.

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

88V8 wrote:So, on Burns night, I discover that I am a quarter Scottish.
Look it's not a problem.

The best of us all have a bit of Scottish in us
- the rest are a bit jealous, or their partners are jealous that we can provide the bit of Scottish they're after ;)

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Post by jfgw »

I am more than happy to have a bit of Scotch in me.

Oh, hang on, I think we are talking about different things here...

Julian F. G. W.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Post by dionaeamuscipula »

Sources differ, but between 4% and 30% of children are not, in fact, related to their "father". So any of us may find out that we are not, in fact, qualified to play for the country of our grandparents birth after all.

I have a fair amount of Scots in me, retain an attractive Weegie accent, own several kilts, and had haggis for tea last night, but through unfortunate accidents of birth, my* children are only qualified for Scotland through my parents.

Unless you are utterly surer than the 32% of fathers who do a DNA test and get an unpleasant surprise you should never, ever test this out.

DM

*I mean, they don't look, sound, or act much like me, but MrsDM says I have to pay for them, so I guess that makes them mine no matter what

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”