Another Useless Map - How Much of Each European Country is Owned by 1% of the Population

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Another Useless Map - How Much of Each European Country is Owned by 1% of the Population

Post by AsleepInYorkshire »

I thought you may be interested in this map of Europe. Each country has the amount of it's wealth that is owned by the top 1% of the population written on it's area.

Before you look- have a guess which country tops the list and also have a quick think about which country is at the bottom

Spoiler scroll ... perhaps I'm over thinking a little but I thought if you wanted to ponder a guess about top and bottom of the table without seeing it I'd leave some space. If you're not bothered, or to darn lazy to scroll down, I apologise profusely :)

Source

AiY(D)

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: Another Useless Map - How Much of Each European Country is Owned by 1% of the Population

Post by Gerry557 »

I hear all these moans about the 1%. I think we should be encouraging the 2%

Then we as individuals are unlikely to pay any taxes or less at least.

Tedx
Lemon Slice

Re: Another Useless Map - How Much of Each European Country is Owned by 1% of the Population

Post by Tedx »

See when you see a map like that, Russian looks quite ominous doesn't it? Maybe its the black colouring

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Post by scrumpyjack »

I guess this must have been produced by someone doing a PHD in Grievance Studies and no doubt excludes the market value of people's pensions (the capitalised value of civil servants DB pensions must be huge in most countries, and similarly the value of index linked state pensions is massive)

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

How do they count institutional ownership?

In the UK, that would be headed by the Crown and the Church. And then wealthy institutions like Trinity College, Cambridge. Only below those do we see individual owners - whether directly (e.g. homeowners) or indirectly (e.g. REIT shareholders).

In other countries, those structures at the top, and how you count them, might be different. Without being told the details, we can't judge.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Post by Alaric »

UncleEbenezer wrote: Only below those do we see individual owners - whether directly (e.g. homeowners) or indirectly (e.g. REIT shareholders)..
You may not see individual shareholders even then because of the widespread use of nominees. ISAs and SIPPs in particular would be held this way.

An old left wing factoid used to be that 95% of the wealth was held by 5% of the population. Again without definitions as to how wealth was established and measured. It might be sounder to measure taxable income which should be available from tax records.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Post by Lanark »

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

This is a percentage of a percentage of an undefined "wealth value" which will be different in each country. I don't understand what that would possibly tell us.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”