Roads

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Roads

Post by Leothebear »

We're about to get a cold snap. After the two week deluge we've all had, the roads will be wet when they freeze.

Expect more potholes and existing potholes to become sinkholes.

Contrast how far we've come with smart phone technology, with our roads not much more durable than the Romans constructed.

And what did they ever do for us?

Tedx
Lemon Slice

Re: Roads

Post by Tedx »

Funnily enough was just reading about a Swiss village that had roads that mixed waste plastic granules in with the tar (an invention from a Scottish company it says).

Testing is still ongoing, but the mix is apparently much more flexible and less likely to cracking etc than normal tarmac.Their temperature ranges are much more extreme than the UK.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

Tedx wrote:Funnily enough was just reading about a Swiss village that had roads that mixed waste plastic granules in with the tar (an invention from a Scottish company it says).
I expect that'll be MacRebur. Which is the last of the companies mentioned in https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 20#p473048

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Post by brightncheerful »

Leothebear wrote: Contrast how far we've come with smart phone technology, with our roads not much more durable than the Romans constructed.
And what did they ever do for us?
A lot, Caesar salad for example.

Tedx
Lemon Slice

Post by Tedx »

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Tedx wrote:Funnily enough was just reading about a Swiss village that had roads that mixed waste plastic granules in with the tar (an invention from a Scottish company it says).
I expect that'll be MacRebur. Which is the last of the companies mentioned in https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 20#p473048
That's the one. Here's the article I mentioned (theres not much in it and you may need a sub to view)

This has been invented by MacRebur of Lockerbie. It is a brilliant idea: specially coated granules of recycled plastic are mixed in the tar. The result is a road surface that has more “give” to it, so far fewer potholes, and it can flex a little to cope with the extremes of the climate in Zermatt.

So far the results are good, as they have been in many other applications worldwide.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/li ... h-plastic/

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Post by Gerry557 »

Maybe the phone helps, well it did for me.

Local council bragging on twitter about how good they were. I replied with a photo of my potholes that were reported over a year previous.

They then tried to minimise the issue so I embarrassed them with copies of info and that there must be something wrong with their system as nothing had been done.

Strangely they did get repaired after our "spat" and was told that the system had been improved. I did repost a pic of the repair with a thank you.

He who shouts loudest........ Comes to mind. Social media is great at some things but can soon be turned back on itself.

I'm ready to take another pic in a fortnight!

Adamski
Lemon Slice

Post by Adamski »

There's more SUVs and hybrid/ Electric SUVs on the road. Super heavy. Theyre making potholes worse. But bizarrely pay less road tax. Guess cause politicians drive them.

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Post by Bminusrob »

Testing is still ongoing, but the mix is apparently much more flexible and less likely to cracking etc than normal tarmac.Their temperature ranges are much more extreme than the UK.
Interesting, because quite a lot of roads are contructed with a mixture of tarmac and rubber - also an excellent way of recycling old tyres. In this case, the reason for adding the rubber is to reduce road noise. I am left wondering if this material is also less susceptible to potholes.
See: https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest ... 20surfaces.

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

Adamski wrote:There's more SUVs and hybrid/ Electric SUVs on the road. Super heavy. Theyre making potholes worse. But bizarrely pay less road tax. Guess cause politicians drive them.

that'll change. once there is insufficient emissions based VED the govt will have to move the goalposts.

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

didds wrote:
Adamski wrote:There's more SUVs and hybrid/ Electric SUVs on the road. Super heavy. Theyre making potholes worse. But bizarrely pay less road tax. Guess cause politicians drive them.

that'll change. once there is insufficient emissions based VED the govt will have to move the goalposts.
It already is changing - my electric car will have a VED of £165 whereas my diesel is £20. I could argue that my electric should pay less as it is less polluting than my diesel - it all depends on your priorities and where you are "coming from", as they say.

And, by the way, VED is nothing to do with "road tax": it hasn't been ring fenced fro roads, or even called road tax since 1937, as I understand it.

Arb.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Post by moorfield »

Utter nightmare for cyclists at the moment, especially round our way, there are some cyclist killers (literally) out there if you are not watching the road surface like a hawk, especially in the dark.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Post by kiloran »

There's a main east-west dual carriageway to the south of Glasgow where a 3-mile stretch would put the lunar surface to shame. Seen a number of reports of wheels actually broken off cars. It's a nightmare on a dry day, I wouldn't go near it in the wet or at night.

--kiloran

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

Arborbridge wrote:[

And, by the way, VED is nothing to do with "road tax": it hasn't been ring fenced fro roads, or even called road tax since 1937, as I understand it.

Arb.

Indeed. Which is why i didnt say "road tax" :-)

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

didds wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:[

Arb.

Indeed. Which is why i didnt say "road tax" :-)
Ah well, somebody did. Apologies if it wasn't you, but it was all part of the thread.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”