RM swap old postage stamps for new

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

RM swap old postage stamps for new

Post by brightncheerful »

Those of you swapping up to £200 of 'old' stamps have been spared the hassle that those of us - e.g., yours truly - with more than £200 are having to endure.

For us, the eligible stamps criterion is extended to those stamps that show any other value that are post decimalisation (1971 onwards) including Olympic, International and Country Definitives. Of course we don't have to swap the extended ones but I guess RM is thinking whilst we're at it may as well.

Individual gummed stamps that are not self-adhesive have to be batched by the stamp value and colour in clear plastic bags of no more than 50 stamps per bag. Stamp numbers of less (sic) than 50 - I think ''fewer' - should be collated together in value order and places in a clear plastic bag.

The only clear plastic bags of a sensible size for holding postage stamps for their journey to Edinburgh I have are new closable bags from Waitrose; i hope the 12 bags that RM will be getting will be put to good use afterwards.

Along with the total value, the number of bags enclosed has to be stated on the form, as is entering the number of stamps for each value on the table of values provided. RM requires posting using Special Delivery Guaranteed and will refund the cost provided you claim the actual amount of postage on the form, if not RM assume you don't want to claim. The cost, in my case is £12+, will be refunded in the form of stamps. Crafty that: I wonder whether the equivalent in stamps will be rounded up or down

I decided to use the opportunity to upgrade my ancient purchases of 1p, 2p, 5p, and 10p stamps, most of which were not in complete sheets of 100. Which meant counting the number of each and calculating values. Excel came in handy.

I had hoped to speak with someone at RM to find out whether 1st class large letter stamps would be swapped for 1st class ordinary but having to hold on for approximately 20 minutes wait for an adviser I decided to risk it. Which if I am right in assuming the swap will result in all 150 of my large letter 1st stamps being demoted means then that I shall have to expend on replenishing my supply.

All told, including double-checking the number of stamps, time taken amounted to about 3 hours.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Re: RM swap old postage stamps for new

Post by JohnB »

I complained when my 74 mixed stamps all came back in one class. They sent out replacements for the 3/4 they got wrong, but didnt demand the other stamps back, sk I'm up £40, in stamps at least. Still hate them for the aggro though

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Post by simsqu »

brightncheerful wrote:...in my case is £12+, will be refunded in the form of stamps. Crafty that: I wonder whether the equivalent in stamps will be rounded up or down

I decided to use the opportunity to upgrade my ancient purchases of 1p, 2p, 5p, and 10p stamps, most of which were not in complete sheets of 100. Which meant counting the number of each and calculating values..........
BnC you need to get out more

Padders72
Lemon Slice

Post by Padders72 »

simsqu wrote:
brightncheerful wrote:...in my case is £12+, will be refunded in the form of stamps. Crafty that: I wonder whether the equivalent in stamps will be rounded up or down

I decided to use the opportunity to upgrade my ancient purchases of 1p, 2p, 5p, and 10p stamps, most of which were not in complete sheets of 100. Which meant counting the number of each and calculating values..........
But hopefully not to my local...

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Post by Rhyd6 »

Whilst having a clearout just before Christmas I came across a full book of stamps issued to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of George V 1910 - 1935.
It contains 12 one and a halfpenny, 4 penny and 4 halfpenny stamps. I don't think I'll bother trying to get them exchanged.
There are some wonderful adverts inbetween the pages of stamps - 'Write it with Swan Ink, suitable for both fountain and dip pens, Travel By Air with Provincial Airways Ltd, Air Port of London including a Sunday Service to le Touquet, Sun Life Assurance Co. of Canada who offered a Private Income of £400 a year for life.

R6

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Post by Leothebear »

Rhyd6 wrote:Whilst having a clearout just before Christmas I came across a full book of stamps issued to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of George V 1910 - 1935.
It contains 12 one and a halfpenny, 4 penny and 4 halfpenny stamps. I don't think I'll bother trying to get them exchanged.
There are some wonderful adverts inbetween the pages of stamps - 'Write it with Swan Ink, suitable for both fountain and dip pens, Travel By Air with Provincial Airways Ltd, Air Port of London including a Sunday Service to le Touquet, Sun Life Assurance Co. of Canada who offered a Private Income of £400 a year for life.

R6
Thanks Rhyd6! It's graytifying to discover someone whose clearouts are less frequent than ours.

Leo

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

Rhyd6 wrote:Whilst having a clearout just before Christmas I came across a full book of stamps issued to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of George V 1910 - 1935.

R6
You would undoubtedly make more money selling them as collector’s items.

Dod

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Post by Rhyd6 »

I come from a family of hoarders, we all hate to throw things out and unfortunately it goes back several generations.

R6

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Post by tjh290633 »

Rhyd6 wrote:I come from a family of hoarders, we all hate to throw things out and unfortunately it goes back several generations.

R6
I have a couple of pages of penny reds, all sadly franked. My guess is that the George V Silver Jubilee book has a significant value to philatelists. I am sure that I have some franked specimens, but where?

TJH

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

Rhyd6 wrote:I come from a family of hoarders, we all hate to throw things out and unfortunately it goes back several generations.

R6
I am not really a hoarder and try to be like Bernard Levin who said that he rolled up the carpet behind him as he passed through life. I am not sure that many of us hoard nothing because keeping stuff is a sort of security blanket.

I for instance used up all my old stamps over the Christmas period so have no need to ‘swap out’ any stamps. I use so few these days that I have only about a dozen or so at any one time, all second class.

Dod

Dod

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

R6
George v may be worth a bob or two.

https://www.stanleygibbons.com/products ... er-jubilee

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Post by Rhyd6 »

Good grief BnC, I never gave a thought to value. I was just rumaging through some old suitcases that we brought from my Aunts house when she died in 1986. She too suffered from the hoarder syndrome and everything just got shoved into one of the old stone barns whch luckily is totally waterproof.
Goodness knows what else might be there, I was just looking for clues re family history and decided that if I didn't do something soon then, given my age, all might be binned in the near future.

R6

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Good grief BnC, I never gave a thought to value.
In the early 1970s, I was instructed by a solicitor acting for executors to sell the deceased house and to begin with arrange for the contents to be cleared by a house clearance company and to obtain a quote for the solicitor's approval beforehand, the budget was under £300.

I visited the property and thought that as some of the contents might have some value arranged for someone from one of the leading auctioneers to visit and let me know whether there was. There was the few items were removed and sold at auction.

For the bulk of the contents I contacted the beneficiaries under the Will and asked if they would like to buy any of the items, some did. Also I chatted to the neighbours and on the strength of their enthusiasm organised a sale whereby on the day anyone could have a look round and buy for whatever price they would offer. On the day, about 50 people turned up and by the end of the day the majority of the contents had been sold.

What was left i arranged for a house clearance company to remove. The company wasn't enamoured that the better stuff had been removed already but as we had a good relationship with them on other matters they cleared everything.

I cannot remember the exact figure but I think the cheque we sent the solicitors was for about £2000 after deducting our commission.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

simsqu wrote:

Amongst the new stamps I received from RM today are barcode versions of all of all the 1p, 2p, 5p, and 10p old stamps (total 531) that I'd sent in. Just as well i didn't get out more. :D

Also although my weighing scales said £12+ postage which exact figure i entered in the box on the form, the Sub-Post Office said £7 or so. To be on the safe side, I got the Postmaster to write the correct postage on the envelope. However, RM refunded the £12+ in stamps.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”