Poll : Do you know what year Henry VIII was born

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers

Do you know what year Henry VIII was born

Poll ended at December 4th, 2022, 11:44 am

Yes
12%
Bo
88%

Total votes: 67

didds
Lemon Quarter

Poll : Do you know what year Henry VIII was born

Post by didds »

IF you are British, please answer the following binary question - no need to post an actual answer to the year just whether off the top of your head you know the answer ie without having to google it.

BAH! Obligatory Didds typos!

Bo = "No" !!!

ta

didds

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Re: Poll : Do you know what year Henry VIII was born

Post by 88V8 »

What if I think I do but it's wrong?

V8

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

88V8 wrote:What if I think I do but it's wrong?

V8
Widdy?

monabri
Lemon Half

Post by monabri »

I do, now! Why the question?

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Post by robbelg »

monabri wrote:I do, now! Why the question?
At a guess, It's on the Citizenship test?

I'm fairly confident i know which century - but I wouldn't put a big bet on it.

Rob

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Post by robbelg »

Wikipedia says I even had the right decade.
Do I get a prize?

Rob

Alaric
Lemon Half

Post by Alaric »

robbelg wrote: I'm fairly confident i know which century - but I wouldn't put a big bet on it.
The 100 year old satirical work on British history and historians ("1066 and all that") had a concept of memorable dates. I think there were only two, but the date of the Armada 1588 comes into the frame as another. That was well into the reign of Elizabeth I who was Henry's younger daughter. I think that makes Henry's birth 14 something as he lived to a reasonable age.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Post by Howyoudoin »

robbelg wrote:Wikipedia says I even had the right decade.
Do I get a prize?

Rob
I guessed at 1506. Close but no cigar!

HYD

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Post by JohnB »

My guestimate was about 5 years too late. But I found the answer in seconds with a computer....

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

88V8 wrote:What if I think I do but it's wrong?

V8

that may be poll #2 ;-)

Im more interested in those that KNOW and those that basically don't. eg I could stab a guess at a general time frrame of twenty years!

there is method in my madness!

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Post by dionaeamuscipula »

My guess was also citizenship test. It's quite fun reading the test book, not least because it contains quite a lot of information which I doubt most existing citizens would know off the top of their heads.

I'm a British citizen, I, both parents, and all my grandparents were born in the UK, and I consider myself relatively knowledgeable on British history and politics, but I failed the citizenship exam.

I voted "yes" in the poll but then when I checked I was out by about 15 years. I knew how old he was at death though.

DM

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Post by quelquod »

Yes I know.
It’s a quizzer question. One of the lists you should learn.
Are you trying to see how many people swot up for their pub quiz night?

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

dionaeamuscipula wrote:My guess was also citizenship test.
DM
What the hell has this got to do with citizenship
When my ex did hers, one of the questions was “which gender smokes more”

Who comes up with this twaddle?

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Post by 88V8 »

Alaric wrote:
robbelg wrote:I'm fairly confident i know which century - but I wouldn't put a big bet on it.
The 100 year old satirical work on British history and historians ("1066 and all that") ..
In the 1950s, Daimler sold the Conquest, priced at £1,066.
That could make a neat pub quiz question.

V8

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

Trouble with posing the question the way you do, it announces itself before I click on the subject. So I can google on the way.

Before that, couldn't even have said which century.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Post by stevensfo »

dionaeamuscipula wrote:My guess was also citizenship test. It's quite fun reading the test book, not least because it contains quite a lot of information which I doubt most existing citizens would know off the top of their heads.

I'm a British citizen, I, both parents, and all my grandparents were born in the UK, and I consider myself relatively knowledgeable on British history and politics, but I failed the citizenship exam.

I voted "yes" in the poll but then when I checked I was out by about 15 years. I knew how old he was at death though.

DM
but I failed the citizenship exam.

I hear that Rwanda is quite nice at this time of year.

Send us a postcard! 8-)

Steve

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Post by GrahamPlatt »

I thought I knew more-or-less when he was born, but checked first before voting. Out by 70 years… so voted no.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Post by bluedonkey »

I knew the year he came to the throne and I guessed his age at that point, and so worked back from then. Educated guess turned out to be right.

It's ridiculous for that to be in a citizenship test. I read a lot of history but I ended up having to guess. You can just imagine an Oxbridge history graduate in the Home Office coming up with these questions!

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Post by kempiejon »

Other than school chums in my year, my father and brother plus the SO and a couple of exes I don't think I know anyone's birth year.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Post by Hallucigenia »

bluedonkey wrote:I knew the year he came to the throne and I guessed his age at that point, and so worked back from then. Educated guess turned out to be right.
I worked from his dad winning Bosworth in 1485 which is one of those near-1066 fixed points. Working on the assumption that you don't lead an army when you're super-young (he was still reasonably young at 28), I then lazily assumed that he would have sired an heir a few years before the battle so ended up a decade out. Had I thought a moment longer I would have remembered that part of the settlement to end the Wars of the Roses was his dad marrying Elizabeth of York, so their heir must have been born a couple of years after Bosworth.

Especially since he was only their third child - Arthur, born 8 months after the wedding, died at 15, and Margaret...was a girl.
bluedonkey wrote:It's ridiculous for that to be in a citizenship test. I read a lot of history but I ended up having to guess. You can just imagine an Oxbridge history graduate in the Home Office coming up with these questions!
An Oxford English graduate had a lot to do with it, it's mostly Michael Gove's doing.

It's really rough, you really feel for the poor people who have to do it with so much depending on whether you know what the Statute of Rhuddlan is. Someone I know who did it was fine, apart from the sport questions - I guess because something like "what sport is Jackie Stewart famous for?" is a random isolated fact that doesn't connect with anything else. In the end the only one they got wrong was thinking that King Alfred fought the Romans.

Mind you, a friend had to do the same to get an EU passport ... but in Hungarian!

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”