Masterchef 2022

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Masterchef 2022

Post by nimnarb »

Seems each year less of you are watching? Have to admit, not a very high standard at all so far, in fact one of the worst bunch of chefs I have seen for years.

Have three so far, but not overly impressed. Chris, Anastasia and Sagar and a possible Italian girl whose name I can't remember. Not a lot more to be said. Hope the next bunch show some inspiration and knock out food.

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Re: Masterchef 2022

Post by simsqu »

nimnarb wrote:Seems each year less of you are watching?
Hi Nimnarb: I'm here reporting for Masterchef duty!!

Yes tend to agree - standard so far not great. I think the two who went forward from the latest quarter final are the best so far. The rest of them have been an absolute shaaar as Terry-Thomas would have said.

I'm hoping they're saving the best for last.

I approve of Monica 2.0

Skills tests get more ridiculous by the week, but I still love them

Where's Jay Rayner??

PS Very relieved the fat geezer with the MASSIVE earlobes has gone. Couldn't bear watching.

PPS The young Joyce Grenfell lookalike seems pretty good

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Post by todthedog »

Reporting for action!
Not sure I'm fully in favour of the style over substance direction of modern food.
Mrs T unimpressed by the number of times the food is handled before and during plating up.
Thoughts?

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

I have never watched it as I just don't get the attraction of watching people cook

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Post by simsqu »

It's a bit like the Apprentice: if you think of it as a serious programme about business then you can level all sorts of criticisms at it, but if you remember it is just a game show then you can ignore the logical flaws and just enjoy the schadenfreude spectacle with a clear conscience.

I think Masterchef is a bit like that. We love to hate the arrogant like shits with the ridiculous shaved heads and buns, the Scottish git who yet again makes haggis in a whisky sauce, and all the crazy cooking techniques, the soils, airs, foams, drizzles, lollipops, crumbs, snows, hurricanes and tornadoes. The spectacular fails on the Skills Tests: who doesn't want to see someone fail to remove a gallbladder from a frog? Who doesn't want to see all the gurning faces produced by Greg?

We're all just Romans watching the Christians, whether the vehicle is I'm a Celebrity, Big Brother, The Apprentice, or indeed Masterchef.

But I like to think that Masterchef at least has the potential (sometimes realised) to discover true culinary talent in the shape of a genuinely gifted new chef.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

pje16 wrote:
I have never watched it as I just don't get the attraction of watching people cook
It's part of a child's learning, innit? Not so relevant to those of us who've been cooking for decades.

Anyway, shouldn't this be on the lemonfool telly&stuff board?

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

UncleEbenezer wrote:
pje16 wrote: I have never watched it as I just don't get the attraction of watching people cook
It's part of a child's learning, innit? Not so relevant to those of us who've been cooking for decades.
Put it on at 4.30 pm then (not prime time)

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

UncleEbenezer wrote:
pje16 wrote: I have never watched it as I just don't get the attraction of watching people cook
Not sure if that was irony or not :-)

Im not convinced watching masterchef (not that ive ever watched it to be fair!) will teach basic cooking skills eg half a dozen meals based around mince, five standard variations of potatoes, apple crumble, soup from cupboard essentials, a stew, sausages and onion gravy/cheesy leeks etc etc.

didds

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Post by Maroochydore »

I don't watch the UK version but Masterchef Australia is quite enlightening with a heavy focus on Japanese and Korean food.

Through this programme I learned about umami, the fifth basic taste. Prior to that I thought there was only four.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Post by moorfield »

It has moved to Channel 4 and renamed itself The Great British Cook Off.

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Post by Laughton »

I approve of Monica 2.0
Really?

I never liked Monica 1 much but like the new version even less.

Having read what I've written above, I wonder why anyone should care.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Post by nimnarb »

Better.....Nikita and Lucy show promise. One of them, even at this early stage, could get into the semi's if not the final.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Post by moorfield »

Maroochydore wrote:I don't watch the UK version but Masterchef Australia is quite enlightening with a heavy focus on Japanese and Korean food.
Masterkock (Sweden) is good too.

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Post by simsqu »

nimnarb wrote:Better.....Nikita and Lucy show promise. One of them, even at this early stage, could get into the semi's if not the final.

Agreed

That old geezer was way too fast & sloppy - don't think Marcus liked him - and his Milles Fueilles looked like something Dame Edna would have made

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Post by nimnarb »

That old geezer far too cocky, walked in thinking he knew it all and doesn't have the finesse of plating, but time will tell. I, like you, also thought his MF just looked untidy. However, don't think I have ever seen a circular one,(and with gooy, green, thick, pulsating mush)so there is that for being different, but a desert I think I have perfected over the years, did not personally like the look of it at all.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Post by nimnarb »

My goodness, so first we get the two worst skills sets we have seen and yet those two produce the best food, with the best praises you have heard in the whole series, and then they have to battle it out with Nikita and Lucy, a little bit unfair, but nice to see the girls in force.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Post by nimnarb »

For those that are interested, some are still in the competition.....here is where they work.

Mo Farhan, Head chef at The Horse and Groom pub in Malmesbury
Theres Andersson, Sous chef at Ekstedt at the Yard
William Rocks, Chef patron at Tigh an Truish, in Oba
Owen Vaughan, formerly the head chef at Penmaenuchaf Hall Hotel, in North Wales
Charlie Jeffreys, Senior chef de partie at the Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester
Sagar Massey, Senior sous chef at the Marine & Lawn hotel in Troon
Gabriella Margiotta and her family run Cucina di Vincenzo, an Italian restaurant
Nathan Booth, Head chef at Liverpool’s Panoramic 34
Tasoula Gramozi, Sous chef at Charlotte Street Hotel
Nikita Pathakji, Junior sous chef at Kitchen W8
Chris Finnigan, Head chef at Leila Lilys

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Post by simsqu »

nimnarb wrote:For those that are interested, some are still in the competition.....here is where they work.

... Tasoula Gramozi, Sous chef at Charlotte Street Hotel...
Funnily enough, I was in the Charlotte Street Hotel only a couple of days ago for pre-dinner drinks. They were eye-wateringly expensive, so can't imagine how much the food would have been.

Delighted with the result of the last quarter final. Finally a bit of real talent I think. Really liked the Swedish girl who basically sets fire to everything. I'm looking forward to her immolating the smirk off Greg's face

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Post by nimnarb »

simsqu wrote:
nimnarb wrote:For those that are interested, some are still in the competition.....here is where they work.

... Tasoula Gramozi, Sous chef at Charlotte Street Hotel...
Funnily enough, I was in the Charlotte Street Hotel only a couple of days ago for pre-dinner drinks. They were eye-wateringly expensive, so can't imagine how much the food would have been.

Delighted with the result of the last quarter final. Finally a bit of real talent I think. Really liked the Swedish girl who basically sets fire to everything. I'm looking forward to her immolating the smirk off Greg's face
Yes, knew he would pick all three but sad to see Lucy go, liked her a lot. Regardless, it's Charlie all the way now for me. Terese has got oodles of talent but it's mainly Swedish cooking and wonder how she will stand up in the pastry dept. Plus I think Marcus really likes Charlie.

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Post by simsqu »

nimnarb wrote: Yes, knew he would pick all three but sad to see Lucy go, liked her a lot. Regardless, it's Charlie all the way now for me. Terese has got oodles of talent but it's mainly Swedish cooking and wonder how she will stand up in the pastry dept. Plus I think Marcus really likes Charlie.
Nimnarb I can't tell you how impressed I am with your ability to remember all the names - respect!!

Charlie absolutely finalist material though very young, so may slip up...agree I would have put all four through.

Terese brilliant but niche. Won't get out of the semi-finals. I'd definitely go to her restaurant, after checking out the Fire Exits first of course.

Game on now I think!

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”