5am posts...

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Mike4
Lemon Half

5am posts...

Post by Mike4 »

5 AM posts...

Are us 5am posters up late, or have we woken up early?

Going back to sleep now.... (hopefully!)

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: 5am posts...

Post by richfool »

It depends where we are.

It's lunchtime here, where I am.

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

Well past beer o'clock round these parts :)

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Post by DrFfybes »

For me, it's when I wake early for a wee and can't get back to sleep.

But considering Mike$ signed up for TLF at 3.29am, then either your an insomniac, or the mods were working through the night approving people.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Post by Rhyd6 »

I used to have regular chats with Basket Bob at various hours of the night. We were both unable to sleep, these days I always find someone who likes a game of scrabble no matter what time it is in the UK. Agree with the going for a wee though, it's so damn cold it wakes me up immediately.

R6

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Post by DrFfybes »

Rhyd6 wrote:I used to have regular chats with Basket Bob at various hours of the night. We were both unable to sleep, these days I always find someone who likes a game of scrabble no matter what time it is in the UK. Agree with the going for a wee though, it's so damn cold it wakes me up immediately.
Early tonight :(

That'll teach me to have a glass of squash before bed, but in my defence I'd had a salty tea.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

Salty tea?

Sounds horrid!

Goggle doesn't really seem to know much about it either....

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Post by DrFfybes »

Mike4 wrote:Salty tea?

Sounds horrid!

Tea was chicken Fajitas, I gather it is what Londoners call "Dinner".
Dinner is what Londoners call "Lunch".

:)

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Post by Bminusrob »

Oh dear. I have just been to have my eyes tested, but I still saw this post, and thought "Who the hell is Sam". Nurse!!

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Post by kempiejon »

DrFfybes wrote:Tea was chicken Fajitas, I gather it is what Londoners call "Dinner".
When I was a school boy there would be a bell to mark the beginning of lunchtime and we went in shifts to the dining hall where dinner ladies served meat and 2 veg and followed by pudding for desert.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

DrFfybes wrote:

Sounds horrid!

Ah I see. That's what I'd call supper, wot with me being so posh an all that.

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

DrFfybes wrote:

Sounds horrid!

Why is it that northerners are aware that different terms are used, and can immediately explain any misunderstandings, but southerners can't cope with anything unfamiliar?

:D

Scott.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Post by DrFfybes »

kempiejon wrote: When I was a school boy there would be a bell to mark the beginning of lunchtime and we went in shifts to the dining hall where dinner ladies served meat and 2 veg and followed by pudding for desert.
Do you get Camels with it?

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Post by kempiejon »

DrFfybes wrote:Do you get Camels with it?
I do love a smoke after a meal

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

swill453 wrote:
DrFfybes wrote: Tea was chicken Fajitas, I gather it is what Londoners call "Dinner".

Why is it that northerners are aware that different terms are used, and can immediately explain any misunderstandings, but southerners can't cope with anything unfamiliar?

:D

Scott.
Ah, I think this is related to the way posh English abroad can make foreigners understand what they are saying simply by shouting in English, loudly and very sloowwwly.

WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Post by WrenChasen »

DrFfybes wrote:
kempiejon wrote: When I was a school boy there would be a bell to mark the beginning of lunchtime and we went in shifts to the dining hall where dinner ladies served meat and 2 veg and followed by pudding for desert.
Do you get Camels with it?

Camels and a lot of sand probably.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Post by DiamondEcho »

I was looking for some lighter distraction from the off-line stresses of the day and I certainly found it in this topic! :lol:

Reading the OP I was going to suggest time-zones but I see that Richfool has done so already. When I was living in Asia I continued to post to TLF. It feels different, you know that what you write will perhaps be there for hours before it's read by anyone. If there is anyone else on-line they're either an insomniac or living somewhere with your region. You become familiar with who this sub-group is!

Then when you return say a day later the topic might have come to life and developed like Frankenstein into something very different than intended :D

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Post by richfool »

kempiejon wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:Tea was chicken Fajitas, I gather it is what Londoners call "Dinner".
When I was a school boy there would be a bell to mark the beginning of lunchtime and we went in shifts to the dining hall where dinner ladies served meat and 2 veg and followed by pudding for desert.
Yes, good point. Upon thinking about it, all those years I took "dinner money" to school and only ever got lunches.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Post by Nimrod103 »

I would suggest that it is not entirely a northern vs southern thing. Growing up in Northeast London, I walked home from School for a midday meal (the like of whichI cannot remember), but returning home in the afternoon I then had my "Tea", which was cleared away long before my father came home and sat down to his "Dinner".
I have always tended to think of it more as a class thing, with Tea being working class, and an evening dinner showing clear intentions of moving up into Middle Class.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

Nimrod103 wrote:I would suggest that it is not entirely a northern vs southern thing. Growing up in Northeast London, I walked home from School for a midday meal (the like of whichI cannot remember), but returning home in the afternoon I then had my "Tea", which was cleared away long before my father came home and sat down to his "Dinner".
I have always tended to think of it more as a class thing, with Tea being working class, and an evening dinner showing clear intentions of moving up into Middle Class.
So where does "high tea" fit into all this?

I never quite understood what it was. Perhaps it was something you had late afternoon, supplemented later in the evening with "supper" as a substitute for the proper evening meal we called "dinner".

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”