Christmas

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers

Christmas

1. Our Christmas decorations are going up early (before December)
7%
2. We don't celebrate Christmas
33%
3. We are going to ruin our family at Christmas, not just with love, but with a well chosen gift
No votes
4. We will put our tree and decorations up mid to late December and they will be down just after New Year - we will be frugal with our gifts
44%
5. Are you kidding AiY, we are going all out for our children and grandchildren. We love them to bits and we want to give them great gifts and show them that in time they can do the same
4%
6. AiY have you seen how many children and grandchildren we have. We'd need mortgage to ruin them.
No votes
7. I am single and I find Christmas is a lonely time
No votes
8. Other - what are your thoughts and feelings about Christmas?
11%

Total votes: 27

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Christmas

Post by AsleepInYorkshire »

Last night I received a private message from a well known Fool. I opened my message to find exceptionally kind words. They were very welcome. Heartfelt and encouraging.

This year we've decided to put our Christmas decorations up early. It's been a tough year.
  1. My Mum died 11 months ago
  2. My good ladies Dad has been in hospital for the last 8 weeks
  3. My good lady had a [double] discectomy ten days ago
  4. I've not worked this year due to my own health problems
I suspect many more Fools have had a tough year.
  1. Perhaps you've lost loved ones
  2. Perhaps you or you're loved ones have had operations
  3. Perhaps you have loved ones who aren't well
  4. Perhaps you have health problems of your own
What are you going to do at Christmas?

AiY(D)

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Christmas

Post by DrFfybes »

I See "humbug" is currently in the lead.

With no children and no religious convictions, we've always regarded Xmas as some bizarre commercial ritual of forced jollity and overconsumption that we were obliged to take part in. Choosing wich parental group to visit in turn, and the other getting us at New Year. Long drives at antisocial times to avoid heavy traffic in generally appalling weather on the Pennines - and for what? - to eat more than we wanted and watch the horrendous waste that goes with middle class affluance. The only year I didn't bother going home apparently mum was so upset she cried most of the day, so it really was emotional blackmail.

Last year these demands had ceased, although we did go to my Niece as they are only an hour away, and my sister and husband were also there. This wasn't actually too bad - we got a lie in, had little to do, and were back home in time to watch the Dr Who Xmas special (had it actually been on). We will probably go again this year, as apart from scattering mum's ashes last week, we haven't actually seen any of them since last Xmas, and it is probably wise to keep some sort of contact with family as we get older.

Paul

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

So far I am the only vote for number 5
but they are my brother's children's kids (aged 2 and 5)
we will also have 2 Ukrainian 6-year-olds around (from the family of 5 that he has hosted)
We have lost my mum and my sister in law has lost both her parents
so we miss them, but the rest of the family will all be together, and I love that

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

You have set me thinking. I am now on my own and am nowadays the patriarch I suppose. I do not have Christmas decorations and to that extent do not 'mark' Christmas. I do though see it as a time to get together with family (I do at other times as well) and eat together and sort of review the year just about gone, think about those no longer with us and so on. Instead of getting together for a couple of hours I can have some time with my family including now adult grandchildren (those that are nearby anyway) I am lending my house for that this year on condition that I am doing nothing! No wild drinking or anything though. Probably some family board games which we never get time for otherwise, a nice big fire, walks and so on.

Maybe church, maybe not.

I have not voted because whilst I do not really 'celebrate' Christmas I could never tick the 'We do not celebrate Christmas' box either. That seems very negative to me.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

Snorvey wrote:As with DrF, we don't have kids or are religious and since the parents departed us a few years ago, there's no pressure on us and we try and do different stuff - although COVID severely restricted thing in recent times. I'm not talking about flying away or anything. The weather makes it too risky and I'd hate to be one of those folk stuck in an airport for 72 hours being interviewed by a reporter

We went to her sisters one year for 'traditional' family thing, then one year we went to a highland hotel for 3 nights (a pre packaged Christmas), which was really, really good fun. During COVID, we ordered Indian banquet, the next Chinese. We went for walks, the wifey did Parkrun etc. Last year we met up with other family members at an airbnb in the coldest place on the planet (Fearnan, Loch Tay if your wondering) and had a great time. Almost all of us came home with COVID though! When I got home, we spend 10 days of isolation fixing the fence that had been destroyed by Arwen.

I do enjoy Christmas, but really only because our world takes a pause for a few days.
My late wife and I went to a west highland hotel one year and that was a great success I must say, so I second that. Fearnan is a beautiful spot but I can see that it would be quite exposed in the winter. A neighbour of mine used to live there and wrote a little booklet of its history.

Dod

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

A politically correct christmas (2006) wrote: There’s a minor furore going on in the UK now about political correctness and christmas. There are stories floating around of people being forbidden christmas decorations in a workplace, or being required to call it something nonreligious like winter-festival. And, while noone can confirm that any of the stories are for real (the most plausible is a story from 1998 that the hang-em/flog-em press is recycling in new garb), everyone agrees it’s nonsense, and they blame that mythical beast, the radical secularist.

Perhaps someone is missing a point here. Noone is offended by christians and children celebrating their festival. But there’s another side to it. Consider a conversation with well-meaning friend (WMF):
WMF: What are you doing for christmas?

Me: Working

WMF: Oh no! Surely you can’t be working? Aren’t you going to see your family?

Me: That means a journey of an hour on the bus and five to six hours on the train, at the worst possible time of year to travel. I’d much rather visit them in January when the buses and trains are running normally, as indeed I did this year.

WMF: Oh, that’s so sad. Well, can we invite you to christmas dinner at least?

Me: No thank you [struggle for an excuse based on difficulty of travel again – aided by darkness, likelihood of bad weather, and lack of buses]
Anyone who has been the subject of, for example, sexual harrassment, will by now see my subtext here: just ****** well leave me alone! Yes, christmas can be horrible, not because I’ve any objection to other people celebrating, but because they won’t let me stay out of it.

I want peace and quiet, and a chance to get some work done. I have to spend most of my days working, and I value my free time. Christmas is far and away the worst possible time not to be working, because I simply won’t get that quality free time:
  • As with all bank holidays, the Great Outdoors is crowded, and the people are more likely than at other times to be spoiling it with noise, litter, etc (because it’s a different demographic to the usual, and they’re out there for different reasons).
  • It’s too dark, with only 8 hours/day dull daylight.
  • People are under social pressure to have a good time. At the same time, there are no buses. So the roads are not only covered in holidaymakers; there are likely to be disproportionately many drunk drivers. Better to stay at home and work.
  • It’s a good time to work – quieter than usual.
Now, if anyone really has been banning christmas, that’s daft: they’re addressing entirely the wrong problem. But the unthinking reaction “it’s good or at worst neutral for everyone” is wrong, too. In this season, avoiding well-meaning but unwanted situations is a real problem.

Perhaps banning decorations in an office really can save someone a lot of pressure to conform, or intolerance of their refusal to do so? But better of course would be to require explicit permission from management, who will of course not refuse a request. That way those who care can decorate by permission, while others are spared harrassment.

The Archbishop of York has attacked these alleged secularists. Taking the charitable view, he’s probably just insensitive and ignorant, and would happily slip into the WMF role of harrassing people like me himself.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

UncleEbenezer wrote:
A politically correct christmas (2006) wrote: There’s a minor furore going on in the UK now about political correctness and christmas.
Is this more nonsense on social media
just wondering

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Post by 88V8 »

We enjoy Christmas.
There's just the two of us but we or more so I, put up a lot of lights and decorations, and we drag the traditional plastic self-assembly tree out of the attic.

The kitchen, for instance.

We'll be off to a country house hotel again, as the family get-togethers have evaporated with the demise of our parents. So no turkey of our own, but all the other seasonal comestibles will be fully enjoyed in candle-lit dinners in front of the fire.

Depending on timing, we might go to a service in the village church, although not actively religious we enjoy the tradition, the old building and the flimflam.

V8

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

pje16 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
Is this more nonsense on social media
just wondering
Note the date. The nonsense was in the mainstream media, and not least the (then) Archbishop of York.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

Twitter did kick off in 2006 btw
but thanks for the heads-up

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Post by stevensfo »

We will go with our youngest to church while the eldest will probably be at some party with his girlfriend. Part of the attraction is shivering while the kids do their version of the Nativity play outside before we all run into the heated church. 8-) Though every year is different.

My wife is Polish, so we celebrate Christmas eve with a typical Polish menu and traditions, then Christmas Day with turkey etc.

Presents are opened on either of those evenings, depending on who is where.

Re. Christmas tree and decorations, we are very flexible. We put them up when we can and take them down when we feel like it. One year they were all up till end of February! Some small decorations tend to stay up much longer.

For many years/decades, we had a real tree, till one year, kids much older, energy levels dropping, my wife threw in the towel and agreed on an artificial tree. Oh bliss! ;)

As usual, my wife will look at everyone after lunch and ask who wants to take the dog for a long walk. :lol:

Steve

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Post by 88V8 »

Snorvey wrote:The summit

The weather was...errrr...'changable'.
Ooh, that's very Christmassy.

V8

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

In years gone past the house was fully decorated and Christmas was celebrated with elderly parents and family, with roast turkey and all the trimmings on the day, followed by even more food on the subsequent days.

But as this year is the first they are lo longer with us and being at home on our own doesn’t really appeal, then we are off to the sun for a month for Christmas and New Year, then returning briefly to the UK before disappearing off to different warmer climes for another couple of month until March.

Not sure how or where we will be celebrating on Christmas Day itself, but it will be different.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”